Send Topic Print
Boats. (Read 8577 times)
Matt_C
Funditor

Cruachan!!!

Cheshire, England
Re: Boats.
Reply #15 - Nov 25th, 2004 at 5:49am

Now I want to get my designs cleared up before I actually start planning, as there is a old guy who builds small wooden boats here that I can ask (like on the actual property).
What do you think of a boat with two stabilizing floats on either side, for...well... stability.

The last time I saw a rainbow I threw my beard over it

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #16 - Nov 25th, 2004 at 11:30am

Overkill? If you want a more stable boat all you need to do is make it slightly wider and/or change the cross section shape a bit. You surprise yourself with how quickly you adapt to tender boats.

The argument for sponsons or outriggers is that it allows you to build a fast/tippy boat and sort of "work into it". Think of them as training wheels. You pay a big speed/efficiency penalty though.

My kayaks were white-knuckle-deathgrip tippy at first (6 out of 8 test paddler were swimming within 3 minutes) but now feel great. I'm very heappy that I didn't bias the design more stable when I was figuring it out.

If you are still considering a dugout (massive amounts of work with very significant possiblities of failure) then I'd design around an OC-1 style (outrigger canoe - google) setup as putting form stability into a cylindrical log is pretty much impossible without "advanced" dugout techniques.

Matthias

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #17 - Nov 25th, 2004 at 1:01pm

i wish i had someone to help me make a boat. Im very very rarely out in the water on a boat. i have only been on a boat maybe 2 times in my life. i enjoyed it, And any time any one offers me a ride in a boat i take it but theres not very many people who will take me on a boat. most of the people i know dont like boats.

I did try to make a dug out one time. it was a tiny model of a dug out  Cheesy only 4 foot long but it did demenstrate that it is possible to make a boat that way. Pretty fun too. I dont think that it will be time soon that i make a full sized dug out but it could happen.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

knight

blargh~

Philadelphia
Reply #18 - Nov 26th, 2004 at 4:28pm

make a paper boat for a light easy boat u just need willow branches twine paper mache and water sealer

...&&&&
xrpgknightx xrpgknightx  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Nov 27th, 2004 at 4:44am

Personally, I wouldn't trust paper on water, whether "waterproofed" or not.  One tiny hole due to saturation with water could sink the thing, and unless you can trust yourself swimming with a sticky wet paper/willow frame attached to you, then....  It is very easy to die on a lake.  Some of Roger's Rangers (or some Rangers regiment) died on a lake in the east (maybe Lake George or Champlain) when their birch bark canoe split open in the middle of the lake.  The whole party drowned.  Water is very dangerous.

IP Logged

knight

blargh~

Philadelphia
Reply #20 - Nov 27th, 2004 at 9:07am

well true but ok anything can happen anywhere how many people die a day from car accidents?

...&&&&
xrpgknightx xrpgknightx  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Nov 27th, 2004 at 10:22am

But there is such a thing as increasing the chances of being in an accident, ie, by going on a lake in a paper boat.  Maybe you could do it, but you'd have to be a great swimmer, with lots of confidence.  On a shallow part of a lake, knowing the limits of the design.

IP Logged

Matt_C
Funditor

Cruachan!!!

Cheshire, England
Reply #22 - Nov 27th, 2004 at 1:08pm

I am beginning to help make a shallow draft rowing boat. Quite a weird design (in my view). I have to attach boards 30 cm long to the ribs of the boat, so one is 30, then 25, then 20, underneath the other one. I heard this is mainly done on much larger boats, but it serves a good "learning principle" for making a first boat. And if I'm lucky...I'll be done in a year...

The last time I saw a rainbow I threw my beard over it

IP Logged

knight

blargh~

Philadelphia
Reply #23 - Nov 27th, 2004 at 6:26pm

lol today i did a stupid thing. i needed to cross a brook.
so i got a log threw it in the water jumped on. and used a stick to push myself but unfortuinily i was stuck on a sand bar so there went that idea

...&&&&
xrpgknightx xrpgknightx  
IP Logged

Hellfire
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Nov 28th, 2004 at 11:56am

so what happened after you got stuckon a sandbar?

get wet?

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #25 - Nov 28th, 2004 at 12:36pm

well i usaly dont bother making something to cross water i just wade on throu. Now this is not a good idea. i Waded throu up to my knees one winter and that was not smart. i had ice on my pants and boots. when you get you you just feel soo sleepy, did not feel cold in fact. a sign of nerve damage, but im ok now. i guess, but Ill never go wading throu the water durning winter ever agen.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Douglas

Just give me a good stone
and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Reply #26 - Nov 28th, 2004 at 1:18pm

Quote:
I like the look of those reed boats... In use on Lake Titicaca and (topically) by marsh Arabs in Iraq.  ...

Actually since the "reeds" used by Thor Heyerdahl are made of papyus, then here is your seagoing paper boat!

IP Logged

Mike_R
Funditor

Reply #27 - Nov 28th, 2004 at 1:20pm

When my dad was in school in england in the 50's he met one of the guys who sailed on the contiki when the guy came to his school.

IP Logged

Douglas

Just give me a good stone
and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Reply #28 - Nov 28th, 2004 at 1:20pm

Quote:
always wanted to make a viking ship. but that is a little bit of a big build for me. i wonder did they have smaller ships? like one -two man  small ships? i dont think they would make good war ships but still.

Here's a good place for your questions:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/viking-ship-plans/

Looks like there was a faering or four-man boat, found with the larger Gokstad ship. It may be up your alley.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #29 - Nov 28th, 2004 at 4:25pm

Thanks Douglas

by the way i lost that link to the place where i can buy pitch.
I tend to use the pitch i make in incederarys. I figure if i buy the stuff I wont be burning it.

If you could remind me what it was i appreciate it.

thanks

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Chris)