M.G.P. (Read 4525 times)
Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
M.G.P.
Nov 18th, 2004 at 12:22pm

Multiple Gland Projectile. I am working on a new cheap glands that fit together and when thrown come apart to become 2-4 glands. I will try to get some pictures up here soon. The weight of them so far is 1/2 oz for 2 glands and 1 oz for four glands. I am just woundering if this is too light for a gland? I seem to remember that glands were very light (under a oz).

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Re: M.G.P.
Reply #1 - Nov 18th, 2004 at 6:33pm

shoot gun. i have already made those. I went out side dug up some clay made it into the shape i wanted (i did not bother too smooth it out any. sorta looked like a wet candy bar some one grabed. or even worse a nice big potato shaped turd with grab marks Tongue) then i just let them sun dry for 2 days. when i threw them in my staff sling they exploded. pretty cool but you cant hit one thing. You spray a crowd with lots of pices of clay but its hard to hit just one thing.

I also like to use gravel. Its like a sawed off shot gun. hits a wide area. and the rocks are flying fast and will tear little pices out of you.

Another handy shot gun like ammo is just broken glass. i threw this a few times. the glass is sharper then hell and will mess anythings day up when it hits. If you wanted to go period i would go with pottery shards. or shail.

but any way let us know how yours comes out.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #2 - Nov 18th, 2004 at 6:36pm

hmmm....I wonder about tiney quarts crystals...Maybe you could flint knapp some duble pointed arrow heads so that they are more like shurican then arrow heads and thow those. It would sadden me to throw them becase i put so much time in knapping but i bet they would be effictive.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #3 - Nov 18th, 2004 at 7:40pm

One of the younger slingers on the forum once said that he had tried pellets wrapped up in toilet paper. The TP keeps them together for a while and then they spread out. Kind of like a choke on a shot-gun. It sounds really neat, but I have never experimented with it.

As you mentioned, the multiple projectiles spread out too much to be effective. Someone needs to do some experimenting with the TP and pellets and then report on the results???

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #4 - Nov 18th, 2004 at 10:47pm

Well, I just went out back (not in the city! yay) and tried out the TP idea. I remember not really giving it much of a chance when I first read - turns out I was pretty wrong!

Four sheets (dry) wrapped around 10 pieces of gravel in a "X" fashion gives me a pretty solid 18" pattern at around 20' as tested with pink insulation foam, which they penetrate to a depth of about 1". I think you could probably control the spread pretty well using more layers. The tissue breaks up almost instantly after release as was as I can tell (pitch dark outside). Wetting the "wad" might give you more consistent behaviour, but I'm not sure.

Now, this obviously increases your chance of hitting something, though I'm not sure that it is good enough for hunting with. The effective range is going to be cut pretty short due to the high drag on the shot (same as a shotgun here) Even with lead, which won't slow down much, you are talking about a realistic 200fps with a total load of maybe 3oz. A 12 gauge shotgun shell might fire 1.5-2 oz of shot at something like 1400fps - almost 50 times the energy.

Although the complete 10 gravel load is pretty impressive when it hits the foam, you have to remember that the whole reason for spread shot is that you aren't planning on hitting the target perfectly. One or two of the pebbles just don't pack enough whump.

Needs some more experimentation though!

Matthias

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #5 - Nov 19th, 2004 at 12:47am

Quote:
One of the younger slingers on the forum once said that he had tried pellets wrapped up in toilet paper.

I said that one time and so did someone else too i think.

Quote:
shoot gun. i have already made those. I went out side dug up some clay made it into the shape i wanted

No i don't mean muiltple projectiles, I mean multiple glands. What i am working is, I don't know if any of you guys know what the little bullet vaule coves for people tires look like. They are sliver and are on like a 1 for 4. The sell them at walmart cheap. Well you can put two to four together. They are like a 1/4 oz a piece and what you do is put the male part of the bullet in the the female part of the next bullet and so on and soon on. They have some kind of gasket inside the female part that will hold the male part of the other inside. What i think will happen when you sling them is they will come apart and become 2,3, or 4 separte glands. I am going to try them out tommorrow and see if they work. Also if you could put them but to but, they could make a real modern day premade gland. I will also try to get some picture up tommorrow.

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #6 - Nov 19th, 2004 at 12:58am

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4505163808&ca...
This is what they look like but they are not that expensive as this guy is.

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #7 - Nov 19th, 2004 at 9:26pm

Matthias,

Cool! I need to join you in the experimenting. I bet lead pellets would work well. Maybe an X wrap of masking tape around the TP would give more distance?

That foam board is a great idea to be able to see the spread and penitration!!

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #8 - Nov 19th, 2004 at 10:24pm

Well i went to the store today to buy some more of them so i could test them out. Well no good. The newer model are more blunt and don't fit into each other. I will still test them and they still will be good premade glands when put but to but.

IP Logged

Matt_C
Funditor

Cruachan!!!

Cheshire, England
Reply #9 - Nov 20th, 2004 at 7:03am

Lastnight I took a sheet of tissue paper (kleenex) and put a handful of gravel in the middle, screwed up the edges so it looked like a little sack. On leaving the sling the tissue paper seems to immediatly begin opening, eventually (after a few miliseconds) drag pulls it off completely, seeming to send out gravel in a cone shaped pattern. More experimentation is needed, though. I only shot 5 rounds of the stuff, funnily enough, the tissues were almost completely still in one piece after launching.

The last time I saw a rainbow I threw my beard over it

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #10 - Nov 20th, 2004 at 7:28am

TP still in one piece. That's funny, you would think it would be all torn up from the spinning.

I like this concept. Having an ammo bag full of premade, pellet filled, TP wads! Maybe even color coded for various distances Grin Now that would make for a more positive approach to hunting fowl.

IP Logged

Matt_C
Funditor

Cruachan!!!

Cheshire, England
Reply #11 - Nov 20th, 2004 at 7:32am

Funny David_T I was thinking "bird shot" the second the tissue paper came off.
I am thinking about trying out different kinds of stone sizes. Gravel, 10-15 small pebbles, then something between the two. You could make much more durable, reusable ones (probably better for your wallet and the environment) from squares of some sort of soft cloth, seeing as the tissue seperates from the stones so early it is no problem to retrieve it.

The last time I saw a rainbow I threw my beard over it

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #12 - Nov 20th, 2004 at 9:41am

well what about firing sling shot ammo. you know those little metal ball they sell at wall mart for sling shots? wrap them up in some cloth and throw those. Yes there a little big but i think they would work.

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #13 - Nov 20th, 2004 at 9:29pm

pretty much anything you can fit in them and it will work. I usally always used bb's from a bb gun but i never thought to use plain gravel.

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #14 - Nov 20th, 2004 at 10:06pm

My observations would lead me to believe that gravel is to light for "knock down" power at a reasonable distance  like 20--30 yards. The air justs eats up all the energy.

I would like to try some lead balls about half the size of a common marble. Maybe 8-10 of them.

Today I had only a few minutes to experiment.

My first: about 5 stones aprox. 3/4 inch wrapped in 4 kleenex.  At 20 yards, none of them hit a man size target. The kleenex came off in pieces. Mostly in the first 3 yards.

2nd Test: 10 stones a bit smaller wrapped in blue, painters masking tape several wraps.
Result: The wad stayed together until it hit the ground  I was aiming at ---about 30 yards.

3rd Test: 4 stones about 1 inch in size wrapped in a Dunkin Donuts napkin, with 1inch wide masking tape around it in two directions.

Result: All the stones blew threw the napkin right away and in all directions--no control. The tape and much of the napkin was still together.

The cloth idea sounds interesting. The reuseabilty and the holding power may be a good factor. Perhaps rubber bands could be usd to hold it together? More bands for greater distance or choke effect?

But, I still think heavy lead shot is the ammo to use.

Then, once we find the right combination of cloth, rubber bands, tape, glue, we could see if shaping the wad in a football shape would make for a faster, straighter shoot?

This is a good project to follw through on. A "bird shot" for slinging would make hunting with a sling a possibility even without super accuracy.

Maybe we should put this topic in Yurek's "Inventors Nook" or whatever the name is?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Rat Man, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Morphy)