Send Topic Print
staff sling aming (Read 3545 times)
Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
staff sling aming
Nov 12th, 2004 at 2:23pm

well i had some pride in my staff slinging abilites. untill i let my friend have a go at it. He stomped me. he can thow it farther and more accuretly then i could even on the best of days. realy brought me down. Im alot better then him at lots of stuff, and i should give him this but i would like to beat him in the staff sling. I wont even call it beating him ill call it bettering my self.  Smiley that way i dont sound like such an ass.  Cheesy any way any one know any tricks on slinging ammo realy far with accurcy? I have been working out, pound for pound im stronger then him but he just has so many more pounds..Is it strenght that is messing me up?

do i need to get stronger? to beat him? or is it my stance? the way i "cast" the staff?

any help in "bettering my skill" would be appreciated.

thanks

p.s. its hard too just practice more. no where too practice. and We have but one staff sling between the two of us, so if i go to staff sling he is usaly there. pretty hard to practice a new trick to surprise him when hes there to learn the trick from you. Wink

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Re: staff sling aming
Reply #1 - Nov 12th, 2004 at 10:38pm

How far can you throw with your staff sling?  How long is it? It'll be easier to give you advice if you show us a video or pictures of you slinging. I used to have a staff sling but I can throw a lot farther with a normal sling so I have given it up.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 13th, 2004 at 4:43am

Staff sling aiming is mostly about design of the sling and your familiarity with it.  Strength will certainly help with range, of course, but a staff sling is just a lever.  Maybe you should hold the staff a little further down.  Maybe you just need practise.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #3 - Nov 13th, 2004 at 8:15am

well ill get you the lenghts real quick, but i think we may be out of luck for the video... Now can you throw much farther with your sling becase of practice or becase of the sling just being able to thow better all the way around?

Give me a min ill go get my staff.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #4 - Nov 13th, 2004 at 8:24am

ok the staff is 4, foot 8, inch thats from the bottom to the very tip.

the string to the sling is 2 foot long. it took me about a month of tryel and error to get this lenght. i havent tryed shorter becase that lenght works and i did not want too lose it.

the sling hangs at 2foot 5 inches. when its ready to fire. I grip the staff 2inch from the bottom, my hands are 6 inches apart. Im right handed.

well if any of this can help me let me know

thanks for the help.

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Nov 13th, 2004 at 8:35am

Hmm....
  Staff slings were probably used by ancient armies to ensure consistency.  With the same ammo (lead bullets, for instance), the same length of pouch, design of pouch, length of staff and training, the staff sling would provide more consistency for untrained levies.  So, in theory, with the right stones, the right hand hold and a consistently placed pouch, you should be phenomenal.  Just practise.  Or stick to the regular sling.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #6 - Nov 13th, 2004 at 8:39am

ok ill give it a shot.

well its been fun talking to ya english but i got to go Smiley

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Matt_C
Funditor

Cruachan!!!

Cheshire, England
Reply #7 - Nov 13th, 2004 at 9:46am

I hold the sling at the bottom with my left hand, and then I put my right hand in the middle (this is on a 4 ft long staff sling). Now... to get good power out of it practice pushing really hard with your right hand and pulling with your left hand while whipping your legs into the throw, this method works best for me. I sling mainly apples with it, due to the lack of another suitable ammunition. Accuracy would probably only come after you have found an optimal throwing technique and have stuck with it awhile.

The last time I saw a rainbow I threw my beard over it

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #8 - Nov 14th, 2004 at 8:35am

ok ill give that a try next time i come to a place i can sling. by whiping my legs you mean to step forward fast?
haha usaly when i step forward the sling comes off the end of the staff, the rock falls and i look like a dumbass.
do you hold the staff off of you sholder or over your head? I get a little better accuracy over my head but the distance sucks. and i get the reverse when over my sholder.

I have ben practicing with my sling, now im not that bad. Ive gotten to the point where i can hit a barn. cant hit much smaller things yet but ill work on it.

(that was not a figure of speech. theres an old barn out in the country by my friends house. No windows leaky roof and tean agers like to go there to get drunk and well...)

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Matt_C
Funditor

Cruachan!!!

Cheshire, England
Reply #9 - Nov 14th, 2004 at 1:15pm

I stand left foot forward, right back, side on to the direction I throw, so the staff goes across my right shoulder to up the line of my head, I "bounce" off my right foot on the shot while using that whipping method, it sends off large objects beautifully Cheesy

The last time I saw a rainbow I threw my beard over it

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #10 - Nov 15th, 2004 at 4:33am

To answer your earlier question, I get more distance with my regular sling simply because I can easily build up energy with it to get the rock to a faster speed at the point of release.  But the staff sling does have an advantage is that it can throw with bigger ammos.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #11 - Nov 17th, 2004 at 5:34pm

thanks ill give that a try. i was not moveing my feet at all. it seems that every time i do the ammo falls out.

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Hellfire
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Nov 22nd, 2004 at 9:01pm

my staff sling is six feet four inches long not counting the sling

The staff is only about five feet long, but there is a glavanized pipe to make up the last foot or so. Very good counterweight.

The sling is two feet six inches long, made out of nylon cord and a three by eight inch peice of leather. It does not drop the ammo.

It can throw a rock more than a hundred fifty yards.

i need some lead glans

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #13 - Nov 24th, 2004 at 7:33pm

lost wax is a good way to make glands out of lead. thats how i make mine. Man your staff sling is huge.

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Hellfire
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Nov 24th, 2004 at 8:20pm

what do you mean by "lost wax" ?
Meaning you make a mold of wax and pour in the molten lead?

Iv e got about a two pound pig of lead.
maybe ill try something like that

gotta go  to google

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Rat Man)