Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
fire starting tools (Read 13681 times)
english
Ex Member

Re: fire starting tools
Reply #60 - Dec 4th, 2004 at 12:29pm

I was fooling around, starting fires today (as you do), and I was using the fire plough, and I noticed a bunch of things.
  Firstly, the fire plough was easily the smallest fire starter I had (that was primitive - obviously lighters, matches, and a fire-striker were smaller).
  Secondly, it produced the largest ember.
  Third, it worked fastest.
  Fourthly, it gave off a nice smell.  Much nicer than the smell of a fire drill.
  It appears that the only drawback is the larger amount of energy used in a single burst, making it more exhausting to use.  Well, initially - it tires you out for about 15 seconds, and then you can just sit by a large fire, so it seems I'll be using this particular method more and more.

IP Logged

Douglas

Just give me a good stone
and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Reply #61 - Dec 4th, 2004 at 12:30pm

At the bizarre desert festival Burningman, the flame that kindles the giant effigy is traditionally kindled by a parabolic mirror.

A truly strange fire-making tool involves a bamboo tube and a plunger, which is struck repeatedly until the tinder within begins to smolder, due to the compression, similar to a diesel engine (?).

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #62 - Dec 4th, 2004 at 12:35pm

Yeah, I've heard of those.  Not practical for a primitivist, unless (s)he has lots of time and resources.  Greasing the tube is important, and fitting it properly and everything... but apparently it works well if properly used and all that.

IP Logged

Mike_R
Funditor

Reply #63 - Dec 4th, 2004 at 1:58pm

Maybe you could get olive oil to combust doing that.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #64 - Dec 5th, 2004 at 2:54pm

You probably could, but it's more for fibrous tinders like cotton, kapok, that kind of thing.
  Anyways, I was fire ploughing again today, and the best combination, for anyone listening, is willow plough on a hazel board, which is odd, but quite good because both are very plentiful.

IP Logged

Mike_R
Funditor

Reply #65 - Dec 5th, 2004 at 7:59pm

I just thought oil because deisel engines can burn olive oil or canola oil.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #66 - Dec 6th, 2004 at 1:12pm

That's true, but it does have to be processed, for quite a long time.  During a fuel crisis here, a couple of years ago, some Welsh people started using it in their cars.  It's illegal, and the police knew when someone was using it, because their car smelt like a chip pan.

IP Logged

britishslinger

slings the handheld arlilery

Reply #67 - Dec 7th, 2004 at 6:57am

you can get bio diesil kits and feul terns out cheep i knew a man that made diesil with veggy oil

listen to old people

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini)