Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
fire starting tools (Read 13599 times)
britishslinger

slings the handheld arlilery

Re: fire starting tools
Reply #45 - Nov 26th, 2004 at 11:13am

thanks i was useing willow im making a new throwing stick out of cherry once its dry it will be farly light so it should be good for birds have you ever used cherry for firelighting my throwing sticks tend to double up as some other object eg  digging stick.
for all the people who buy firelighters find a windblown pine and chop bits from the top of the bit still in the grownd they last longer and cost nothing 'feather' them and they will catch from artifical sparks think eco and peace out dudes

listen to old people

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #46 - Nov 26th, 2004 at 1:00pm

Cherry wood makes excellent walking sticks, according to my uncle, but I haven't personally used it for, well, anything.
  The best tinder for a lighter is small sticks of pine, taken from the base of a dead pine.  Full of resin, and they just go up as soon as the flame hits them.

IP Logged

Mike_R
Funditor

Reply #47 - Nov 28th, 2004 at 3:17am

Yesterday my pops and I did what I said and made coals by putting wood in a sealed tin with a nail hole in the top. We cooked it until the smoke stopped coming out of the top. It was cool. By the end some kind of gas was escaping from a second hole that sprouted. It was catching fire as it escaped. The flame off the gas was like a butane lighter flame only 5 inches long and hot as hell. When we were done the coals in the tin looked like slightly smaller black versions of the pieces I put in. I filled the tin with little inch square 1/4 inch deep pieces of ironwood (was a ships keel, the wood came from africa). We made a birds nest out of strands of really old manila rope and put some coal in the middle. When we used my flint and steel it went up like crazy. It only took like 20 seconds to get a spark to light it.

I'm gonna try this week with a bow drill.

By the way english, using the hand drill do you do it by yourself? How do you maintain downward pressure? What woods do you use?

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #48 - Nov 28th, 2004 at 4:49am

The hand drill is quite simple to use.  I do drill by myself, and the woods I use are as follows:  Drill:  Cat-tail stalk (my favourite), pollarded willow, osier, elderberry.  Hearth: Willow, horsechestnut, clematis.  I haven't used anything else, so I can't comment on it.  I find the best combination to be a cat-tail stalk and a clematis hearth.  (Although that setup is problematic for beginners, due to the fact that the cat-tail is not sturdy compared to the wood drills.)  Downward pressure is maintained simply my moving your hands down the drill as you go and then quickly moving them back to the top once you are nearly at the hearth.  Plenty of books detail how to drill.  I actually started with the hand drill, not the bow drill, so the bow drill just feels awkward to me, and the hand drill feels natural.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #49 - Nov 28th, 2004 at 12:16pm

hmm cool.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #50 - Nov 28th, 2004 at 3:07pm

I'll take some photos sometime, of my fire drill kit.  Well, fire lighting kit.  I have two drills at the moment, and one of them I just cut today and it's still green (willow) and the other is cat-tail, quite old now.  Both are about three and half feet or so.  I also have a fire plough set of willow, lots of different tinders, and a birch bark box of tinder and for storing embers.  I'll try to get some pics up sometime, but the digi camera needs recharging.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #51 - Nov 28th, 2004 at 4:40pm

cool i cant wait too see.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Hellfire
Ex Member

Reply #52 - Nov 30th, 2004 at 8:15pm

anyone here use a magnifying glass?

i tried to make something that Archimedes (yes the same guy who ran through the streets naked shouting "Eureka")invented when sicily was under attack and he had to destroy some boats.

Archimedes then took about two score or so of soldiers, and polished all of their sheilds, until you could look at them like a mirror, then he had all of the men make pretty much a solar cookerby pointing all of their sheilds at one boats particular sail.

Holy macaroni!
the sail set aflame and the attackers didnt even know what smote them, the hand of God?!?, or maybe just some crazy smart man who thought that if sunlight were focused, they would burn things?

maybe leprechauns told him to burn things lol Grin

IP Logged

Mike_R
Funditor

Reply #53 - Nov 30th, 2004 at 9:51pm

Dude, I saw an episode of "Mythbusters" on the discovery channel where they tried that. Should have seen the mirror thing, it was like 40 feet high and had hundreds of mirrors. Didn't work worth a sh#t though.

Anyway I have a little doohicky shaped like a seti radio telescope that is a parabolic mirror for starting a fire. You put a cigarrete (I don't smoke so I've never tried it) on this little spike and point the little rig at the sun.

IP Logged

Hellfire
Ex Member

Reply #54 - Dec 2nd, 2004 at 5:51pm

wow..
really..

so isnt SETI the search for extraterrestrial intelligence?

I did read that some time in the seventies some people did make a large mirror.. and it literally lit the boat from about eighty feet away or so like a firecracker with a half second wick.

IP Logged

Mike_R
Funditor

Reply #55 - Dec 2nd, 2004 at 6:50pm

Ya that is what seti is. I was just trying to describe the shape of this little mirror with a little frame where the ciggarette goes. It looks just like a satelite dish. If I can find it I'll take a pic. By the way if I take pics or digital videos how to I let you guys check them out?

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #56 - Dec 2nd, 2004 at 7:46pm

well that sounds cool. wonder how hard it would be to make? i could burn my little brothers toy sail boats. hahaha. and if it could heat sails up enough to make them combust into flames in a few seconds i would of turned that sucker on some advancing troops.

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

britishslinger

Reply #57 - Dec 3rd, 2004 at 6:41am

get an old lamp and hold the tinder where the bulb should be or you could get a saterlite and glue tin foil on the inside

listen to old people

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #58 - Dec 4th, 2004 at 10:52am

and that will work as a tiner box or the the ray gun thingey

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

britishslinger

Reply #59 - Dec 4th, 2004 at 11:29am

to burn things

listen to old people

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini)