Send Topic Print
fire starting tools (Read 13685 times)
Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
fire starting tools
Nov 11th, 2004 at 7:45pm

Well im not that great at starting fires and i was wanting a good fire starting tool that fits in my pocket. I hear a tinder box is pretty good for this. i want to be abel to make it. Now i have some flint but i have a very very hard time getting sparks out of it. any suggestions?

thanks

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

KnollSlinger

The Davidson Road KnollSlinger

Chandler, Arizona, USA
Re: fire starting tools
Reply #1 - Nov 11th, 2004 at 11:42pm

You can't beat a good butane cigaret lighter.
For larger fires, sparklers with a little thermite will lite most things.

The Davidson Road KnollSlinger&&Who can beat me?

IP Logged

KnollSlinger

The Davidson Road KnollSlinger

Chandler, Arizona, USA
Reply #2 - Nov 11th, 2004 at 11:44pm

Hey, that just gave my tracer ammo idea!

Wrap the rock with sparkler wire, load into pocket, lite, windup and throw!

The Davidson Road KnollSlinger&&Who can beat me?

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #3 - Nov 12th, 2004 at 3:03am

if your having trouble getting sparks off the flint its the steel exsperment with difernt types
natral flint you want hardened steel  manmade flint you want mild steel reason being on natral flint the spark comes from the stone on man made the spark comes from steel

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Matt_C
Funditor

Cruachan!!!

Cheshire, England
Reply #4 - Nov 12th, 2004 at 5:04am

I find that scuffed up natural flint and a flattened match shaped piece of steel works very well for me.
You can always just use a magnifying glass for getting dried glass and the like smoking, and you only need a small one, problem is that requires sunlight...

The last time I saw a rainbow I threw my beard over it

IP Logged

Douglas

Just give me a good stone
and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Reply #5 - Nov 12th, 2004 at 11:03am

IFAIK, you need high-carbon steel for this, but apparently iron will work. The idea is that you chip off pieces of steel with the stone, not the other way around. This is the most common mistake. You might find fire steels at your local gun show; there's often a blackpowder vendor there.
The real trick is getting a spark to kindle in your tinder. I haven't been able to acheive that magic, then I saw a 8-year-old kid do it in three strikes! A couple of puffs on the tinder (just random landscaping mulch!) and our logs were blazing. Damnedest thing I ever saw. Shocked

IP Logged

knight

blargh~

Philadelphia
Reply #6 - Nov 12th, 2004 at 11:50am

ok easyest thing to carry when u have flint and steel bring dryer lint the stuff that u get from that little screen in the dryer a coulple sparks on lint you got yourself a fire and it is really easy to carry

...&&&&
xrpgknightx xrpgknightx  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Nov 12th, 2004 at 1:05pm

I use a fire-drill.  Flint and iron pyrites (the truly primitive flint fire-starter) is inefficient and takes ages.  Fire drill takes up only marginally more room, can be used quicker and easier... it's just better.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #8 - Nov 12th, 2004 at 2:15pm

I know that the fire drill is better. I have made one and it works OK. im not that great with it but oh well. I just want to try flint. My flint is natural i think. bought it off rock guy. I get the best sparks by hitting 2 pices of flint together. but the sparks never bounce off the flint. they just stay real close the the rock and never leave it.

By the way a tinder box is just flint in a box right? i did not put too much resurch into it, i could find out on my own but its quicker too ask you guys Smiley

thanks

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #9 - Nov 12th, 2004 at 5:46pm

tinder box also holds your tinder such as chared cloth cattail fluff dryer lint what ever

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #10 - Nov 13th, 2004 at 8:01am

oh thanks

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #11 - Nov 14th, 2004 at 5:53pm

I use the big flint sold by buckshot. It is a big round piece of flint like you get from a cigerrette lighter but way bigger. Here is a link                                            http://www.buckshotscamp.com/Flint-Big-Sales.htm
I have used it for several years and it has never let me down.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

hawkhawkins00
Tiro

Reply #12 - Nov 15th, 2004 at 2:27am

Good stuff to cram in a tinder box would be char cloth...
simple to make and will catch the least spark from flint and steel
Take an clean empty metal can with a tight fitting metal lid. If you use a paint can make sure its absolutly clean and free of paint . Poke two holes one in each end.
Cut scrap 100 percent cotton blue jean material into 3" squares. Stuff about half a pound in the can and seal the lid. Lay it on a fire and burn til it stops smoking.
Take it off and wait about 2 hours before removing the lid. What you have is nice black burned cotton.
Stuff catches a good spark.
Have fun.
Hawk

there is no knowledge that is not power

IP Logged

henryblowery
Descens

Raleigh NC
Reply #13 - Nov 15th, 2004 at 6:14am

i like the bow drill to but i'v seen alot of people get descuriged (sorry about spelling ) becuse they go out there and get a little skiny stick and try and do it but you need a stick with a lage diamiter and it helps if you square it up in  the midle
« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2004 at 9:33am by henryblowery »  

IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/thaiche/Henrybloweryssig.jpg[/IMG]
WWW henryblowery  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Nov 15th, 2004 at 2:33pm

I don't like either flint and steel or bow drill.  That's just my opinion - it's not for any particular reason.  Hand drill for me, cattail stalk drill, willow/clematis hearth, with maybe clematis bark, honeysuckle bark, pounded willow bark, &c, tinder.  I have managed to get an ember, and consequently a fire, in very cold, rainy conditions.  It's quite difficult to begin, but once you get going.
 Charcloth is good for sparks, not so good for fire-by-friction embers.  My personal tinder box is just a piece of folded birch bark, now quite old, with a wooden end and lid.  Inside, there is some dry grass and (often) fresh Norway maple leaves - just like Oetzi, the Glacier Man.  I use it to keep the tinder in, keeping it dry and secure.  Very important.  I just use a sort of quiver (again, birch bark) for my fire-sticks.  Keep a few extra sticks in there as well, a couple of more robust willow wands (although I find cat-tail a more reliable drill.
 Douglas, just experiment some.  Fire is not made in any sort of analytical way, and you will find he best way for you - once you have, you won't care whether it fits in your shirt pocket or not.

I just remembered another great way of starting a fire - the much neglected fire-plough.  This is probably my second favourite.  I haven't had much practise, so I'm not great with it, but it is smaller and more portable than the drill, and produces a larger ember than the hand drill (but not the bow-drill.)  I think I will carry a fire-plough set together with my hand drill in my survival kit.
« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2004 at 10:38am by N/A »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Chris)