Send Topic Print
New premitive weapon? (Read 9122 times)
Matt_C
Funditor

Cruachan!!!

Cheshire, England
Re: New premitive weapon?
Reply #15 - Nov 13th, 2004 at 9:51am

Okay, this is my cruddy concieved weapon. First of all take a stone (about 1 inch wide, a little less thick) with a hole in it (look around beaches and the like, or just use bolts stuck together) and then take a leather chord, quite thin but not too thin, tie a knot in it then slide it into the hole, so it is secure, and you can wear it around your neck.
This thing is great fun Cheesy, if you hit someone with the chord it tends to wrap around their arm, then just twist the chord around the stone once and BLAMMO! They have an arm trap, wear the chord on your middle finger and punch forward, and suddenly you have a telescopic 6th knuckle, not to mention the obvious use of it as a garret. I really love my stone on a string thing.

The last time I saw a rainbow I threw my beard over it

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #16 - Nov 14th, 2004 at 8:29am

that sounds like, oh it was ether the chines or japanese monkes. they used big heavy wooden beads on a necklace as a weapon. Instead of one rock they used a whole string of em.

I was looking on the internet and came across some armor. it was called lamella or something like that. thats how it sounded. but it was overlapping recktangels of any material you like. It sounds like scale mail, and sorta looks like scale mail, but its supposed to be better then scale mail. All most all european countrys and asian countries used this lammella armour and i was wondering if any of you have heard of it?

I think they said that a chinese war lord had a burial lammella armour. made out of stones. It was very heavy like 300 pounds or something. but it was a burial pice of armour so i dont think the guy minded too much.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Nov 14th, 2004 at 12:57pm

Lamellar was primarily a Central Asian thing.  Mongols used it, as did the Chinese, Iranians, and probably many other sub-groups.  In Europe we just went from mail to plate armour, with brigandines in between, which are a bit like lamellar.

IP Logged

Matt_C
Funditor

Cruachan!!!

Cheshire, England
Reply #18 - Nov 17th, 2004 at 6:42am

Hey Douglas, do you have any more information or dimensions for beads on a string? I am thinking I want to make a set.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Nov 17th, 2004 at 1:44pm

The weapon I am thinking about making is a staff for walking, with a bevelled end for use as a digging stick, but also with a notched end (for hafting spear points) and the same end to have a slight "hook" to it, to that it could also be used as a staff sling, although that isn't really necessary.  Four uses, at least, along with use as a fighting stick - I am thinking also of getting a book on stick fighting.  Sticks are the future.

IP Logged

Matt_C
Funditor

Cruachan!!!

Cheshire, England
Reply #20 - Nov 17th, 2004 at 1:56pm

I love all in one weapons, especially ones that have utility uses. Knives are probably the most versatile weapon you can have, but a multipurpose staff would rock. What size sticks do you want to use? I've had formal training with escrima sticks, and lots of training with a hanbo/bo. They are the bass guitar of weaponry imo, easy to use, hard to master.
A good book on stick fighting with a bo/quarter staff is Total Stick Fighting: Shintaido Bojutsu by Hiroyuki Aoki.
It demonstrates lots of fast-neutralization techniques that are relatively low impact, and has lots of in detail Kata, highly recommended.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Nov 17th, 2004 at 4:04pm

I'll see if I can find that book.  I am interested too in all in one weaponry - but it doesn't even have to be weaponry, just kit with mulitple functions.  I think that the digging stick function, and the walking stick function, of the stick, are the most important, rather than the fighting &c, because it is often that a root must be dug up, but when must you fight multiple assailants?  These are useful though, of course.  I was thinking of a stick that is about shoulder height.  Too short and it can't be used as a walking stick, too long and it is too bulky and useless for most things.  So shoulder height is probably wisest.

IP Logged

Matt_C
Funditor

Cruachan!!!

Cheshire, England
Reply #22 - Nov 17th, 2004 at 4:21pm

A friend of mine used to walk around with a just below shoulder height stick (given we are both under 5`10 this isn't a long staff). It's just about right to provide enough leverage when walking, and it's alot more wieldy then a 6ft bo, and it is still easy to apply most bo kata and moves to this staff.
I hate, totally hate, digging up roots with anything other then a machete, or do you mean edible roots? I was once thinking of making bokken style handguards for one of my staves, just to make it easier to walk with and to protect my hands should it be needed in a less then friendly situation.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #23 - Nov 17th, 2004 at 6:19pm

I love multi pourpis things too but If something does too many things that means it has parts. and parts wear down and break. I am a firm belever in simplicety. the less parts the better.

I know that you guys are talking about a one pice think that does many things but i mean if you go realy big. adding extra things is almost always a bad idea.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Matt_C
Funditor

Cruachan!!!

Cheshire, England
Reply #24 - Nov 18th, 2004 at 5:56am

Most of the things that English was talking about adding to his staff would be simple carving, no moving parts, still keeping the design very simple.
And I agree, simplicity and elegance are key.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Nov 18th, 2004 at 10:16am

...in all your life.
  No extra pieces, just carving a piece of ash.
  I mean edible roots, yes.  I do a bit of gathering now and again, and you need a digging stick.  It is not hard to carve, but is very useful.  Digging sticks are an almost essential survival tool.  So, as part of my "primitive kit", I would carry this stick.

IP Logged

Matt_C
Funditor

Cruachan!!!

Cheshire, England
Reply #26 - Nov 18th, 2004 at 2:10pm

That's almost an all in one hunter-gatherer tool you got there, then Cheesy.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Nov 18th, 2004 at 3:24pm

Well, I reckon a spear is a limited weapon, but in reduced circumstances might prove it's worth.  Might be a little too long to throw well, but... well, it'd work.  With good tapering, at least.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #28 - Nov 18th, 2004 at 5:13pm

I wonder how hard it would be to modifi my staff sling to dig..

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Shaun
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Pleasant Hope, Mo
Reply #29 - Nov 18th, 2004 at 7:58pm

you could put a metal cap on the slingless end. Or just make it pointy

<?php&& $id = $_GET[

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, David Morningstar)