Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
THE GALLERY (Read 1980 times)
Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
THE GALLERY
Nov 7th, 2004 at 9:49am

Congratulations Chris and every body for the site succes! I think the Gallery is also an important part of it, as it has grown a lot, but unfortunatelly many pictures are out of contest, they have not any reference and so they are almost useless. I suggest to add each one a title and the origin or sender, so that interested people can get more information about.
For instance:  Greek coin from Aspendos. Sender: Chris  Smiley
This will actually increase a lot the value of the gallery!

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Re: THE GALLERY
Reply #1 - Nov 14th, 2004 at 8:48pm

All of the personal slings are by name.  I really need help with the historical slings.  Hondero, you probably could identify a number of them.

Chris

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #2 - Nov 19th, 2004 at 4:27am

Yes, I´ll do it soon, mainly with the pictures I sent and know the information about. If people from whom the other pictures are, send his information I think all will be very soon completed and interesting, and estimulate others to send more pictures with its information, making the Gallery wide and valuable  Smiley.

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #3 - Nov 20th, 2004 at 2:15pm

Chris, here are information on pictures sent by me and a few sent by others that  I´ve identified.

Media:

n. 2:  Tibetan slinger. Article on Tibet (Nat. Geog. 1950) Sent by Hondero

Historical images

n. 1: Saxon slinger. Engraving XVIII century. British Museum. Sent by Chris

n. 4: Greek slinger. Painted vase. V century b.C. Sent by Hondero

n.5: Battle of Nájera (Spain), XIV century. Chronicles by Froissart. Sent by Hondero.

n. 6: Naval attack to a fortress. Engraving. Bodleian Library. Britain. Sent by Chris.

n. 8: Assirian slingers and archers. Bass-relives from Ninive. VIII cent. b.C. Sent by Hondero

n. 9: Boy with a sling. Bayeux tapestry. XI cent. Sent by Hondero

n. 11: Probable drawing of a slinger on a wall. Catal Hüyüc. Neolithic period. Sent by Dan Bollinger

n. 12: Slings and staff-slings. Drawings by Leonardo Da Vinci. Codice Atlantico. Biblioteca Ambrosiana, Milan. Sent by Hondero

n.16-20: Greek coins from Aspendos, Panfilia. IV and III cent. b. C. Sent by Chris (Hmmm, I think you have full information about them... Grin)

n.22: Defence of a sieged city. Micenic silver rhyton(fragment). Sent by Chris

n. 25: Hercules with a sling. Myth of Stimphalian birds. Greek vase (550 b.C.). British Museum. Sent by ??

Others

n. 10:  Peruvian sling. Prehispanic epoch. Sent by Hondero

n. 17: Present Balearic sling. Sent by Hondero.

If there are something grammatically wrong in my english titles, please, put it right  Undecided

I find very interesting a picture of a naval battle with slingers, sent by you. The vessels seems to have greek sails. Have you or anyone more information about?

Also, at the end of the Gallery there are two sling projectiles that I think are from Pacific Island, maybe from Chamorro people. Interesting to identify them.

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #4 - Dec 7th, 2004 at 11:53pm

Hondero,

Great work!  I'll be sure to include all these identifications in the next site update.

Chris

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner)