Survival Guide (Read 3461 times)
TJTay89
Tiro

It don't mean a thing,
if it ain't got that
sling

Survival Guide
Nov 5th, 2004 at 3:03am

I was looking around for more information when I came apon a site that had a very good survival guide on. Matter of fact it was a copy of The United States Army Survival Manual FM 21-76. After looking around at most peoples intrests, I figured that this would be something that you guys would enjoy knowing about. You might have already found it, but if not, then sit back and enjoy a wealth of information, or more importantly enjoy a wealth of "free" information Wink.

A PDF version can be found here:  http://www.equipped.com/fm21-76.htm

A HTML version can be found here: http://www.basegear.com/fm2176.html

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Re: Survival Guide
Reply #1 - Nov 6th, 2004 at 7:36am

yep i have it. I have a guy code name "book man" who sells me lots of millitary books. Ive got a few that say Destroy this document when finished. or something like that. But i think there soo old no one cares any more. they have troop movements in them and such.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 7th, 2004 at 9:37am

Sounds like some sweet books there Doug.
  I find the best survival guide is "Ray Mears Outdoor Survival Handbook", but I'm not sure you can get in the states.  The SAS Survival Handbook is quite good as well, but some parts are a bit sketchy and it seems a bit incomplete.  "Bushcraft" by Ray Mears is also very good, but not exactly portable.  Ray Mears TV programmes are good as well, if you can find them.  He's very big here in England, and he went hiking in Honduras with the film star Ewan McGregor.  He has done loads of cool stuff.  Survival in Samoa, Indonesia, Namibia, Sweden, Canada, Alaska, a programme about Rogers Rangers in the 18th century, French and Indian War, survival during the second world war in Belarus in the woods, for partisans against the Nazis.  He taught a tribe of South American natives to use fire by friction, a skill they had lost, and had grown dependant on matches: they had a two month journey every time they need more matches, so he gave them back their independence.  He is very cool.  He has worked with great bowyers, flintknappers, and knows outdoor cookery as well as anyone alive.  If you can find any of his books, then buy them.

IP Logged

Douglas

Just give me a good stone
and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Reply #3 - Nov 7th, 2004 at 5:07pm

From one of my favorite sites:
http://www.inquiry.net/
http://www.inquiry.net/outdoor/skills/

Also Wildwood Wisdom by Ellsworth Jaeger, and anything by Tom Brown...

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #4 - Nov 7th, 2004 at 5:55pm

theres survival experts out there who could survive 4 years in the desert with a few tooth pics and a packet of McDonalds catsup.  Tongue

any way the best way to learn survival is to go out and do it your self, and to listen to the old men. Old men seem to know alot. And no one listens. i try to listen to my uncle but he drank like a fish, and his mouth is all messed up so hes a little hard to understand.  ???

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

DCR

Reply #5 - Nov 19th, 2004 at 10:36pm

ShockedWhat surprises me is how flawed the US Army survival manual is. It's obvious the authors are passing along second-hand knowledge and even downright hearsay. Much of it is useable but, if you've practiced survival skills yourself, you can tell much of the info has never been tried by the authors. It amazes me that the Army would keep such a thing. Then again, after being in the military for six years, nothing about the military surprises me.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #6 - Nov 19th, 2004 at 11:08pm

Isn't this one we are talking about a very old book and very out dated? I believe i have it and i think it was made in the fifty's. Doesn't the army have newer books out?

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

DCR

Reply #7 - Nov 19th, 2004 at 11:23pm

I checked out the web page posted earlier on this thread and, according to the description, the manual is the 1992 udate. I parused through it briefly and DID find accurate additions although much of the old info is still there. The expedient weapons section is particularly scary. Trying to chip flint with your bare hands is an absolute no-no. Some of those weapons are downright comical. See for yourself. http://www.basegear.com/fm2176.html
Shocked

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Nov 20th, 2004 at 4:52am

"Trying to chip flint with your bare hands is an absolute no-no."
 Unless you mean actually hitting the flint with your fist, I think that is untrue.  You don't need gloves or anything - they are just a precaution.  I've cut myself a couple of times, but never badly, and so long as you are good at working it, it tends to be rare that a flake with slice into you.
  But it is quite outdated.

IP Logged

Douglas

Just give me a good stone
and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Reply #9 - Nov 20th, 2004 at 11:47am

Quote:
Isn't this one we are talking about a very old book and very out dated? I believe i have it and i think it was made in the fifty's. Doesn't the army have newer books out?

Have there been any new discoveries?  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Nov 20th, 2004 at 11:51am

Well, it won't mention the atlatl, that's for sure.  At least, not one that works.  Up until 1982 (or around then) everyone in anthropology/archaeology was experimenting with the atlatl, and using stiff darts or actually short spears.  (Until Atlatl Bob came along, with flexible darts, that actually work and can kill something.)  But that's all I can think of.

IP Logged

DCR

Reply #11 - Nov 21st, 2004 at 1:53am

Yeah, right...Even Native Americans didn't knap flint with bare hands. When you do it correctly, you HAVE to have a leather pad. How do I know? Because I DO it.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Nov 21st, 2004 at 6:27am

Oh, you mean pressure flaking.  Yeah, sod the idea of pressure flaking with your bare hands.  But if you are just using soft or hard hammer percussion, it's tends to work out fine, so long as you are careful.

IP Logged

Hellfire
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Nov 22nd, 2004 at 8:57pm

haha flaking with your bare hands.

no wonder military handbooks are so screwed up.
Altlatl bob had to come along and reinvent somethign thats been around for god knows how long and the military totally missed it.

stupid...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Rat Man)