I still like the tiny little toothpick treb

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Re: trebuchet
Reply #16 - Nov 25th, 2004 at 12:34pm

well i want to make a full sized one. a tiny one may help you to learn and better understand that functions of a full sized one. that way you dont go out and get all that lumber then not know what to do with it. you have that tooth pick trebuchet to help you build the big one.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

markus
Tiro

Logan, Utah
Reply #17 - Dec 1st, 2004 at 10:51pm

A working trebuchet, no matter what size, is a pretty cool siege engine.

I read on one site they used to throw dead cows and diseased people over castle walls to kill the people inside with disease! 

Gross, but effective.

But Ammon stood forth and began to cast stones at them with his sling; yea, with mighty power he did sling stones amongst them; and thus he slew a certain number of them insomuch that they began to be astonished at his power - Alma 17:36

IP Logged

Mike_R
Funditor

Reply #18 - Dec 1st, 2004 at 11:33pm

In Monty Pythons "Quest for the Holy Grail" the french launch a live cow!

IP Logged

Douglas

Just give me a good stone
and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Reply #19 - Dec 2nd, 2004 at 10:38am

Has nobody looked up trebuchet.com ? ???

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Dec 2nd, 2004 at 11:14am

Ah, Monty Python.  Great.  The Knights Who Say NI! and everything.  "I fart in your general direction."  Lovely.  And the "horses" with coconut shells.  And the monks chanting gibberish and then hitting themselves.  And the three headed monster.  And "what is the average airspeed of an unladen swallow?"  "African or European?"  "I don't know that!  AARGH!"  &c.  Great.

IP Logged

markus
Tiro

Logan, Utah
Reply #21 - Dec 2nd, 2004 at 11:40am

Douglas

I have looked at trebuchet.com.  It's a great site.  Once  I get out of college and start making money I might buy one of their kits to make a floating arm trebuchet.

For right now, I settle for free plans off the internet and my own modifications.

I first learned about trebuchets on the computer game Age of Empires II.

But Ammon stood forth and began to cast stones at them with his sling; yea, with mighty power he did sling stones amongst them; and thus he slew a certain number of them insomuch that they began to be astonished at his power - Alma 17:36

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #22 - Dec 2nd, 2004 at 7:22pm

cool i would like to make one. My friends all want to make a ballasta. i personaly have nothing agenst the ballasta but i like the treuchet a little better.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

markus
Tiro

Logan, Utah
Reply #23 - Dec 3rd, 2004 at 2:21pm

I've got a few vidoes and pictures I took of some miniature trebuchets my brother and I made.

We built some card houses and attempted to knock them down with little balls of tinfoil.

If anyone wants them I can e-mail them.  I don't really know how or where to post them so everyone can watch them.

IP Logged

Hellfire
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Dec 3rd, 2004 at 6:40pm

Quote:
cool i would like to make one. My friends all want to make a ballasta. i personaly have nothing agenst the ballasta but i like the treuchet a little better.

hmm.
ballista

ive always wanted to make a larger scale one..
not that i dont like trebs i just think that trebs are a bit less "dynamic" meaning youd need a big one costing stuff i dont have to toss a dirt clod or a volkswagon or something.

i like ballistas.
made a smaall model and im trying to figure out how to post pics on this blasted site .
when i figure it all out ill show you all

really neat.....

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #25 - Dec 6th, 2004 at 8:14am

Here's a great treb story for you all. Back in high school, I got the great idea to build a full scale trebuchet. Now, I fully realised that there was no way in hell my friends and I could legally build it, but I wanted to know maybe what kind of prices I was looking at if we wanted to do it one day. So, I called a local wholesale lumber company and asked the guy what the measurement for a 20 foot pole would be; something about the size of a telephone pole, I told him. There was a sort of mini choking sound on the other end of the line after which he told me that the pole about 8 inches in diameter, and 20 feet long would be 125$ That pretty quickly put an end to the plans, because I wasn't working then and my income was limited to what I got for allowance, and I was pretty sure that if I asked for a 500$ advance on the allowance, they would want to know why. As it is, my friends and I have discovered a way to build an arbalest for less than 100$. Needless to say, we are extremely excited.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar)