Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
working (Read 7013 times)
solobo

Reno, NV, USA
Re: working
Reply #15 - Oct 13th, 2004 at 6:04pm

repeating crossbow?  Is there such a thing?

solobo88  
IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #16 - Oct 13th, 2004 at 10:00pm

In the James bond nightfire game there is but i don't know about in real life.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #17 - Oct 13th, 2004 at 11:18pm

Also in the movie "Van Helsing" there was a repeating-machine-gun-like crossbow, but the device didn't really make sense.  In another movie "Lady Hawk" there was a crossbow that can fire two shots.  I think that's just about as good as it gets.

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #18 - Oct 14th, 2004 at 9:31am

The cross bow in the james bond game is used like a pump action shotgun. The bow has a magazine and the crossbow is reset with a pumping action. I really doubt that this would work in real life unless it was a very lite poundage crossbow. Most modern hunting crossbow are usally 120 pound pull and up.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Oct 14th, 2004 at 10:20am

There really is such a thing as a repeating crossbow, made primitively.  It was invented by the Chinese, used during the Sino-Japanese War and then the Boxer rebellion - nineteenth and twentieth centuries - but it was almost certainly used much eariler than that.  It is quite simple and relatively low power, but it can shoot about 10 shots in 10 seconds, apparently.  It is made almost entirely of wood and a bit of bamboo, for the prod.  Do a google image search for "chinese repeating crossbow" or something similar.

IP Logged

MammotHunter

Reply #20 - Oct 14th, 2004 at 10:44am

No need to do a search, I can explain it. Basically, the crossbow is a top-loading weapon, like a hunting rifle, but inverted. So, where you would have a clip on the bottom of the rifle, you have a clip on top of the crossbow. And instead of bullets, you have bolts. (big, nasty ones from what I understand) A Lever cocking mechanism (looks like a big aircraft throttle handle coming off the top of the crossbow) pulls back the bowstring and a bolt is gravity fed into the firing channel and slips back against the firing panel. Pull the trigger, the bolt goes flying, and in a couple of seconds, the lever is pulled back, the bolts drops in, firing pan locks, trigger is pulled and the process repeats. I've heard of rates of fire being anywhere from 2 unaimed shots/second to 10 shots aimed in 15 seconds. Simple, but horribly effective, especially when you consider that these would be massed weapons and the bolts sometimes tipped with poisons. Damaging to cavalry, as a horse is a lot bigger than a man and very hard to control when it's injured.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Oct 14th, 2004 at 11:46am

That's right.  The entire magazine is pushed forward, so that the string gets into a notch at the back of the magazine; the string going back, because the magazine being pulled back by the same lever that caused it to be pushed forward, means that there is nothing hindering the bolt from falling into the groove.  The crossbowman pulls the lever all the way back, and a small peg knocks the string out of the notch in the magazine.  Here are some pictures:  www.atarn.org/chinese/rept_xbow.htm.  It also describes the mechanism.  With diagrams and motions.
 Apparently the bolts were quite small, light, with almost no fletching - nothing to jam the bolts.  Anyway, go to the site (the whole www.atarn.org site is good actually) and check it out - I have attempted making one once, but it was very crude and hardly worked, the lever was odd, the magazine was too small, the string jammed, as did the bolts, the bow was really light.  In the end, I gave and threw it away.  I might try to make another crossbow sometime.
  Apparently the text on the site, and the images, are from "The Crossbow", by Ralph Payne-Gallwey, a book mentioned in other crossbow related threads.

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #22 - Oct 14th, 2004 at 10:30pm

Cool!!!

English,

I live where the www.atarn.org people run their classes!!! I'll check them out sometime next week.  Thanks for sharing what I didn't know.

Going back to the topic, I am a full-time tennis coach at a country club.   

Tint

IP Logged

Matt_C
Funditor

Cruachan!!!

Cheshire, England
Reply #23 - Oct 15th, 2004 at 4:49am

Wasn't there something like a repeating ballista used by the Romans? The reason it wasn't used much (I can imagine) is that there's not much need to ballista something twice in quick succession.

The last time I saw a rainbow I threw my beard over it

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Oct 15th, 2004 at 10:15am

I believe there was such a thing.  I think the main reason it might not have been oft used, is that it is difficult to make it powerful:  it is run by a man cranking a lever, similar to the one on the repeating crossbow - any large drawweights are out of the question.  So the machine would have limited range.  And as you say, it was not often that shooting quickly was needed, and with artillery, it is accuracy and range you want, not speed.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #25 - Oct 15th, 2004 at 10:29pm

well me and my mother have picked the appel orcherd clean and its starting to get cold around here...cant mow for a while...That leaves foxs pizza den..my boss hurt her back...That sucks...Any way time to pull out the snow shouvel and the wood spliting axe.

I think my favorite artiliry pice is the trebucet. I think it was rather cool how they would put the burning heads of there enemys and fire them at the besiged fortress.

I told my history teacher that she started to gag. That might be anoter reason my girl beating away stick is still intact..

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Oct 16th, 2004 at 3:49am

Nah.  Scalping, for instance, the description of, is a great way to chat up girls, didn't you know?
  Well, you could shoot people's heads over walls with other machines too.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #27 - Oct 16th, 2004 at 7:15am

yes but i have a love of the trebuchet.

maybe english girls like that here all they can think of are horses and most are a little more manly then the men. I was a little appaled when one of the better looking girls in my school bent over, spit a hacker out on the ground then farted...She is a farm girl but still..

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Oct 16th, 2004 at 1:47pm

Jehesus, I am not going to Ohio for girls.  Actually, it sounds a little like Essex.

IP Logged

solobo

Reno, NV, USA
Reply #29 - Oct 16th, 2004 at 6:14pm

my favorite pickup line/conversation starter... you know those assyrians that piled their enemy's heads up in big pyramids...

solobo88  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Chris, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man)