Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Yew Throwing Stick (Read 7532 times)
english
Ex Member

Yew Throwing Stick
Oct 4th, 2004 at 2:03pm

I am fairly pleased with this throwing stick.  It is probably big enough to take down a deer, based on aboriginal measurements for taking down kangaroos.  It is quite hefty.  Made of yew, as the title suggests.  It took an outrageously long time to carve because I was unused to the wood, which is snaky, difficult and prone to all sorts of weird things...  but it looks great.  To me anyway.

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Re: Yew Throwing Stick
Reply #1 - Oct 4th, 2004 at 2:16pm

Can you resize it? It is a little two small.
Thanks

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Oct 4th, 2004 at 2:18pm

I can give it a go.  I am a novice at this.  Matthias told me my other pictures are too big, and now I have gone for a serious case of overkill.  Sorry.

Just checked.  It seems it is not possible to resize the picture to make it bigger.  I'll try something else as well.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Oct 4th, 2004 at 2:21pm

Oh.  Well that looks a little too big.  But that's better than nothing.  I'm gonna leave it alone now.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Oct 4th, 2004 at 2:26pm

Here should be an up-close shot of the grain of the yew, at the handle.  It might be a bit blurred, rendering it a little useless.  But I may as well include it anyway.

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #5 - Oct 4th, 2004 at 2:31pm

Nice looking stick of Yew! Where did you get the Yew? I thought Yew was a little hard to get in the UK. Maybe not. I've got 2 large staves of Yew from British Columbia drying out in my garage. I think I can get 2 bows out of each stave.
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Oct 4th, 2004 at 2:35pm

Yew isn't rare, but yew straight enough for bows or, indeed, most things, is rare.  But there are plenty of yew trees.  I have a branch large enough for a northwest coast style bow - but the damn thing won't split.  I have tried everything, axes, wedges, knives, drawknives... it's a tough bugger.  Which bodes well for it's future as a bow.  Assuming I can get it there.  I'd love some Oregon yew from the Cascades, simply because it is authentic for native bows.  But I am content to have any yew.

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #7 - Oct 4th, 2004 at 2:45pm

It won't split? How big is the stave? Have you thought about kerfing it with a circular saw and then split it with wedges? I use this method alot on my larger hickory staves. Hickory is bad on jumping the grain and kerfing solves the problem.
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Oct 5th, 2004 at 10:20am

Circular saw?  No, I can't do that, for the simple reason that I don't have a circular saw.  I have prepared some bigger wedges. It will split primitively or it won't split at all.  The stave is thick but short - if I manage to get it to split slightly, the whole thing should go.  In theory.  It's a good idea though, using the saw.

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #9 - Oct 6th, 2004 at 12:20am

How long is this stick?  Do you konw its weight?

IP Logged

MammotHunter

Reply #10 - Oct 6th, 2004 at 9:51am

Hey, English! Nice looking kylie you got there, mate! I built one the other day, took it out to my university football field and threw it. I would have had more luck throwing my backpack or my Chemistry book. I made mine from red oak, which is readily available here in the states, and cut it about 70 centimetres long. Looked promising, sort of like a ghurka blade on the end of a hockey stick, but it flies like a lead balloon. Do both sides need to be bevelled or just one side, and does it need to have longitudinal grooves cut in the top? Anybody that has any ideas, I'd loove to hear them.
Jack

IP Logged

solobo

Reno, NV, USA
Reply #11 - Oct 6th, 2004 at 10:37am

Speaking of throwing sticks, I read a very interesting book once called "how to make boomerangs".  Mostly it's about how to make modern play boomerangs that come back instead of having killing power, but it does have a section on making the aborigine boomerangs, much like english's throwing stick.  The traditional boomerang, shaped like an L, does not come back well.  But the aborigines did not WANT it to come back.  They twisted the wood using heat the OPOSSITE way the 'coming  back' boomerangs are twisted, which made the boomerang fly perfectly straight very fast.  I think you can get this book at your local library: take a look at it, it's very interesting.

solobo88  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Oct 6th, 2004 at 12:07pm

Ok, about throwing sticks....
  One end should be thicker than the other, whether the stick is straight or not.  You will notice the slight "bulb" on one of the stick in the picture.  If you look at the picture, you will see also that the edge you can see is bevelled, but remember that due to the sideways throwing motion of the stick, I think that the opposite side near the handle should also have a bevel - because that too is going against the air and trying to get through, so it is best to make it aerodynamic.  I can't explain that any other way, sorry, but think about it a bit.  Longitudinal grooves are not required.  I find that the easiest way to make a throwing stick is just to remember to get the necessary taper.  After you have that, the stick should fly straight and not flutter whether you have made it aerodynamic or not: the bevel just helps a lot.  This stick is heavy and therefore I need all the help I can get from any forces around in getting it properly airbourne.
  Returning boomerangs can be useful.  Aborigines used them in duck hunting, apparently - they would throw it into the air, and make a sound like a duck hawk, and the shadow overheard would cause the ducks to fly straight down and into previously set up nets.

IP Logged

MammotHunter

Reply #13 - Oct 6th, 2004 at 4:37pm

Okay, so having a bevel on both sides is okay. Apparently, the problem is that I have not put a negative dihedral in the stick. I saw one aborigine man doing this, but haven't heard anyone else mention it since then, so I didn't think it was neccesary! Is it just on the distal end or is it on both ends? Oh man, trying to bend a centimetre thick piece of red oak!

IP Logged

englishII

Reply #14 - Oct 7th, 2004 at 9:39am

Hi, I'm being a guest.  I am in a lesson at the moment, but I'm very bored.
Dude, it's a stick.  When you say things like "negative dihedral", you actually do get me confused.  I know that the stick needs certain things:  a weightier end, a slight bevel and a basically aerodynamic shape.  Beyond that, I don't know, but what I do know is that I can hit something with enough power to at least stun or if not then kill an animal, at about twenty or maybe even thirty yards.  The curve is important, but not actually essential, but the weightier head is very important.  It will flutter otherwise.  Maybe the problem is that you are thinking too much about the problem. Smiley  I sound a bit like a dunce at the moment.  Sorry mammothunter.
  If you want a stick that can kill something easily, and is easily made, then go for a regular, straight stick, and carve down so you end up with a "potato-masher" shape.  It's good to leave the bark on the "head."  They fly far and hit hard.  And that is what is important, above all else, even aesthetics.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Chris, David Morningstar)