Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
PICTURES help (Read 5869 times)
english
Ex Member

PICTURES help
Oct 2nd, 2004 at 2:51am

Ok, I have finally taken some pictures to show "a modicum of [my] achievements."  They are currently on a digital camera.  I have no idea how to transfer said pictures from the camera to the computer, and from then on how to get the pictures on the site.  So help is required.  Please.
  Perhaps I should clarify.  The camera I was using (my dads') is a Fujifilm FinePix 2400 Zoom, apparently.  I was expecting there to be some kind of cable or USB port so I could upload pictures.  The only thing I could find was a weird sort-of-triangular thing, which does fit a USB port, but there isn't one on the camera.  So... I have no idea what to do.
 I only took pictures of small things, but there are wedges, knapping tools, slingstones, atlatls, throwing sticks, &c.  No bows yet, I ran out of space and I can't clear the holiday pictures from the camera.

IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Re: PICTURES help
Reply #1 - Oct 2nd, 2004 at 4:06am

Hi English, cameras use to have a propietary cable to link camera to the USB port, also you may need some software provided with the camera to download the pics from the camera to the computers.
newer cameras don't even need software, they rekon the camera as a removable hard disk or memory device, then you only have to drag and drop.
older camaras may need a memory stick reader or a memory card reader with the proper software provided by the camera makers. if so, you have to extract the memory card from the camera and insert it into the reader device (this devices usually are pcmcia cards (pc cards) or floppy-disk like cards.
Ask your parents for the cables, software, and/or memory card readers and instructions provided with the camera.
May be they have this installed in their computer, so you may ask them to transfer pics to their computer and .... next step.....
Once you get the pics in your/their computer, you have to upload them to a web site such as photobucket.com once uploaded you only have to copy-paste the  [IMG] string  at the foot of the desired pic stored at photobucket  in a single line in the post  this will make appear the pic embedded in your post  in the place you typed the  [IMG] string.

Never disturb your enemy when it's making a mistake (Napoleon Bonaparte)

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black

Reply #2 - Oct 2nd, 2004 at 7:53am

(rubs hands together) cant wait to see your pics english. wont your father help you? You could tell him that you dont want to brake his new fangels picture painting thingy and that you need help.

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #3 - Oct 2nd, 2004 at 12:32pm

"triangle thing" sounds like it might be a card reader... a picture would help! Grin If you are lucky removing the SmartMedia card (behind the door on the right hand side - you need to pull) and plugging it into the reader will automatically get your computer access, depending on what OS/software you have installed you'll either see the reader as a seperate "drive" or it will popup a friendly windoe asking you what you want to do. If you are _un_lucky you'll need drivers... in which case we need more info.

Good luck!

Matthias

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Oct 3rd, 2004 at 4:01am

Ok, I have the pictures onto the computer.  I just put the memory card into the "triangle thing", and put that in the USB.  Problem is, I knocked my broadband cable out, and now the internet is working intermittently.  Ok, tell me what I need to do now.  Do I just email Chris with the  pictures or something?  The pictures aren't great, btw.  I was "illegally" using the camera whilst my parents were out for the day in France.  So the picture quality is not great.  But at least they are pictures.

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Reply #5 - Oct 3rd, 2004 at 12:10pm

Yup, either send them to Chris or set up a photobucket account (www.photobucket.com). Chris might be the best bet. He can check the size/comprssion of the pics then email you back an easy cut/paste tag for your post.

Matthias

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Oct 3rd, 2004 at 12:21pm

What's his email?  Because I have been emailed before but lost the address.  Stupidly.  Also, I want to take one more photo sometime.  It is of a throwing stick I made today from a piece of yew, which shows the border of sapwood/heartwood very well, and looks lovely.  It is also enormous and great to hold.  Took ages to carve though.  Yew is wonderful wood.  All the other pictures show ash, hazel and a small piece of birch.  Boring, white woods.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Oct 3rd, 2004 at 12:33pm

Well, I'm trying the photobucket thingy.  I'm a bit of a dunce, so I also need help with this.  I have the pictures on there, so what else must I do?  Here's a guess.  Oh.  That worked.  Well, here's an atlatl, made of hazel with burned in designs, nettle string and ash bark handle.
And here are some throwing sticks.  The top one is a hazel (also) stick, of Choctaw design, with no bark removed at the top.  The one below is ash, curved.  Both actually work quite well, in spite of the crude appearance of the top one.
A (crudely) woven sling, my first.  It works well, and is actually my main working sling.  Below is a set of Inuit "sunglasses", in progress.  Made of birch.
Knapping tools, slingstones and an adze-chisel.  The large hammerstone shows signs of extreme wear and tear; chunks are missing.  There is also a small (very small) flint drawknife style - the cortex is still showing, but the blade is sharp and robust, and there is also a primitive hook-knife edge on the other side.  This is actually my main primitive wood working piece.  It also does not look great.
Two atlatls, one Tlingit style, (the below), made of ash, roughed out.  Works very well.  The top one is of maple, although it doesn't look good, and looks white, which is odd because maple is not normally white.  It is in a sort of "Basketmaker" style, and is quite crude.  Just to show the difference between my first atlatls and a newer one.
A flint drill, bound with ash bark.  Below it is a willow fire-by-friction hearth.
Birch bark tool (the longest one, with a rounded end and a chisel end), and some wedges of various sizes.  Some of the most useful tools I have, but not exactly aesthetically pleasing.
My favourite slinging place, on top of the cliff at Lulworth cove.  I have just slung a shot out to sea, and my face looks strangely contorted, like I have no chin.  The tail end of the sling is barely visible at the edge of my body, between it and the cliff to the right.  It's a nice place to sling.

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #8 - Oct 3rd, 2004 at 7:12pm

Cool stuff.  How does the throwing sticks work?  Do you just throw them?

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Reply #9 - Oct 3rd, 2004 at 11:19pm

Looks like a great place to sling! Good work getting the pics sorted out - my only suggestion is to make them a bit smaller. Photobucket lets you resize semi-automatically while logged in (no need to edit your originals)

Chris is always reachable at info@slinging.org

Matthias

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Oct 4th, 2004 at 1:44pm

It is a great place to sling.  I'll have a go at the resizing thing.  Thanks Matthias.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black

Reply #11 - Oct 4th, 2004 at 8:02pm

so theres the infomus english.  Wink Your 16? you look older.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Oct 5th, 2004 at 10:24am

That picture was taken when I was 15, actually.  It was found in the great camera archives of my dad's profile.
Quote:
Cool stuff.  How does the throwing sticks work?  Do you just throw them?
Correct.  There are a couple of tricks though.  Throw it sideways for one.  Actually, that is pretty much the only trick.  See the "Yew Throwing Stick" for a better one.  Very simple, lovely to use weapons - as primitive as it gets.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Oct 5th, 2004 at 2:39pm

I am curious... where is Techstuf?  He asked repeatedly for pictures, and yet passes no judgement on the pictures.  Come on Tech, say something.  I am not trying to be patronising or mean, but you did ask and I gave, and I would like a response.  I don't care if you call my stuff junk, or whether you call it true art, but at least call it something.

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #14 - Oct 5th, 2004 at 7:15pm

Yes,  I see that English.  Thank you for taking the time to get these pictures posted.  A picture is worth a thousand words........Your work stands on it's own and really needs no comment from me.   

Of course if I were to comment,  I would probably say something like:  As acceptable as these examples are,  I am somewhat curious that you chose to debut these particular pieces. 

I am sure that you have your reasons, however.....and we anxiously await the release of your more accomplished work,  ie.  the 'macuahuitl' with it's many specially prepared flint blades....the bows.....atlatls......and so on.

Whenever you get round to it.  No rush really. 

Thanks for actually getting those pictures posted.  I must admit that some of us had begun doubting some time ago that we would ever get to see even a single picture.....Thanks again.  And don't be shy and hide the juicy stuff.....I can't wait to see a picture of you holding your bows, atlatls and 'Macuahuitl'!   Shocked  Shocked  Shocked

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus)