Send Topic Print
Old songs (Read 2265 times)
Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Old songs
Sep 21st, 2004 at 8:18pm

any one know any old like medival or something that could pass for medival songs?

I like to learn about the coulture of people and if any one knows any thing like marching, drinking, working songs any thing like that let me know thanks.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

solobo

Reno, NV, USA
Re: Old songs
Reply #1 - Sep 21st, 2004 at 10:20pm

Midevil?  How about "Ohhh, oh Oh OH Oh oh oh OH OHH oh Oh oh aahhhhh..."
(My version of a monk's chant) Grin

solobo88  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #2 - Sep 22nd, 2004 at 1:59pm

haha yes medival or some thing i can pass off as medival.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Sep 23rd, 2004 at 11:30am

Medieval songs would likely be in Old French, or Old English - if you can speak either, then sing away.  I've always been interested in Anglo-Saxon.  So I was trying to learn it ages ago - it is quite interesting.  There are many similarities to modern English - and a lot of similarities to modern German.  For example, "bishop" is "biscop", pronounced "bishop."  "Scip" is ship, pronounced "ship."  Complex verb endings compared to English though.  Old Norse is good, and it is very like Icelandic so there are plenty of books on it.

IP Logged

solobo

Reno, NV, USA
Reply #4 - Sep 24th, 2004 at 2:13pm

How about Gaelic?  I've hear about it, even heard it sung a couple of times, but what are the origins?

solobo88  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Sep 24th, 2004 at 3:22pm

Gaelic is an Indo-European, Latin-based language.  It is spoken in Scotland and Ireland, different languages (not just dialects, as they are mutually unintelligible).  I personally have not tried learning it.  And I have no particular desire to.  It just seems kinda folksy and annoying.  I think that most medieval songs from England, or even Germany, Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Holland, would be in very similar old Germanic languages, not Gaelic (Gaelic would be in what is known as the "late antiquity" - the early dark ages) and in France, Old French would be the norm.  So for medieval songs, Gaelic is certainly not useful.
  I remember watching a history programme - Terry Jone's Medieval Lives (yes, Monty Python Terry Jones - but remember, they were all Oxbridge students)- and in it, he studied the travelling minstrels.  He went to France, and there were a pair of Frenchmen who sang in Old French, and called themselves the Fabulous Troubadors or something similar.  It was odd because they kind of rapped, and instead of "oui" they said "ock", or at least it sounded that way, not sure of the spelling.  So there are people out there who might be able to help you sing in the old languages.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #6 - Sep 25th, 2004 at 2:30pm

hmm sounds cool i have a crappy singing voice any way Grin

I was looking for songs more along the lines of drinking songs or marching songs.

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Oct 9th, 2004 at 2:16pm

I was visiting my brother today, after his first month at University in Birmingham.  He is doing ancient and medieval history.  He had a good book - the song of Roland - an original Norman song/poem/saga.  It was half in English, half in original Norman dialect - a bit like Germanic French.  If I were looking for Medieval songs, I'd be looking for a version of this.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #8 - Oct 9th, 2004 at 2:25pm

come child roland to the dark tower...something like that? yep i have read it. I have even tryed to put it to song. Haha i cant sing it worth crap but i amuse  my self with it Grin

speaking of any one here stephen king fans? I am. And so is my mother. she is a member of a stephen king book club and we have the newest gunslinger  book out: the dark tower, 6(i think) the dark tower. Its pretty good.

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man)