Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Making a club (Read 18032 times)
Rana_Palantir
Novicius

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Making a club
Sep 20th, 2004 at 7:08am

Aside from the standard 'find a stick of the right size', does anyone have any suggestions on how to make a decent quality club (not necessarily for throwing)? What wood to use, how to carve for best balance, pictures I can emulate, anything like that? I actually made a really simple one a little while ago, kinda like it, now want to try something a little more complex. Smiley

Thanks in advance. Smiley

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Re: Making a club
Reply #1 - Sep 20th, 2004 at 10:55am

Well you could use like the indians use to use was a gun club. They took the stock off the fire arms and decurated. They look sharp. You can still buy the from www.atlantacutlery.com
Also i have heard the the autrian aborigine used to make a very large boomarang. They could use the the boomarang as a throwing stick or as a war club. I will try to get you a link for the big boomarang picture tommorrow. It is on microsoft encart enclopidia. If i was going to make a club that it what i would do, make a big boomarang.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 20th, 2004 at 12:27pm

I'd go with a gun-stock warclub, as Gun says.  Or you could try a ball-headed club, but this is quite difficult to carve.  Look nice though.  Look up images on the net somewhere.

IP Logged

solobo

Reno, NV, USA
Reply #3 - Sep 20th, 2004 at 1:14pm

I have a friend that went to africa a little while ago, not sure where exactly, to help some of them with their water system  (she's a hydrologyst)
Anyway, the natives there kill lions and such with spears and clubs.  From what her and her husband told me, the clubs are about 2 ft. long, slightly ball-headed, and like all good clubs, have that feeling of power to them that makes you just want to CRUSH something.

solobo88  
IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #4 - Sep 20th, 2004 at 1:45pm

The Plains Indians had a nice club where you lash an oblong stone onto a wooden handle. Some had a leather/rawhide neck from stone to handle to give it more power. Pretty deadly weapons, look at Custer and his boys......

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

S_ALLEN
Descens

N.Y.
Reply #5 - Sep 20th, 2004 at 7:08pm

If you're interested in ball headed clubs check out this site he has some semi finished ones that are sweet http://www.gunstockwood.com/index.html

IP Logged

solobo

Reno, NV, USA
Reply #6 - Sep 20th, 2004 at 9:49pm

Nice clubs.  There's nothing like sheer, crushing force, at least for fun. Grin

solobo88  
IP Logged

Rana_Palantir
Novicius

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Sep 21st, 2004 at 6:14am

Thanks. Smiley

Ball-headed clubs look like too much work for my current carving skills -- but I think I might be able to manage lashing together one of those stone-headed ones, if I can find the right stuff...Smiley

Clubs are fun.

IP Logged

solobo

Reno, NV, USA
Reply #8 - Sep 21st, 2004 at 10:26am

yeah they are.

solobo88  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #9 - Sep 21st, 2004 at 3:34pm

clubs are nice i made one by getting a log and hacking it into shape with my axe.

But I would rather have a war hammer any time...

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Hellfire
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Nov 22nd, 2004 at 9:05pm

i heard that the indians used a bit of nature to help them make a club.

They took a young sapling of the right dimensions and tied it into a knot. A few years later they hacked it out of the ground and had a fat knot of wood to splatter brains

good thinking

IP Logged

Matt_C
Funditor

Cruachan!!!

Cheshire, England
Reply #11 - Nov 23rd, 2004 at 5:48am

The last club I made was really simple. I took a nice bit of round fence post, cut it down to about 1 and a half feet, then made a inch strip of mild steel, wrapped it around the head of the club and then wrapped the head in duct tape.

The last time I saw a rainbow I threw my beard over it

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #12 - Nov 24th, 2004 at 7:37pm

I just get a stick round off the top and make a hand hold.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Hellfire
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Nov 30th, 2004 at 6:24pm

i like what johnny said.

take a oval shaped relatively large stone and jam it into a large club, wrap it in rawhide.

i suppose custer and his buddies got splattered with those.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Dec 1st, 2004 at 1:03pm

Probably not too much - remember, the Lakota and Cheyenne had Winchesters as well as clubs.  But I think they do sound like most kick ass clubs.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus)