Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
8 strand braid (Read 2403 times)
Lathron
Ex Member

8 strand braid
Sep 19th, 2004 at 3:40pm

Just one question. How  to braid 8 strand? ???
I searched the internet but couldn't find any information. Please help

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Re: 8 strand braid
Reply #1 - Sep 19th, 2004 at 4:52pm

Once you get going with braids it is hard to stop... 8 strand flat? round? assym? triangular? sinnet? doubled 4? patterns? Ooof Tongue

What are you trying to work on? Maybe we can offer some specific advice!

For interesting structures for braids and sinnets, the "Ashley book of knots" is an interesting read. Lots of patterned braids in "Braids - 250 Patterns from Japan, Peru and Beyond" and lots of others.

Matthias

IP Logged

Petros

Reply #2 - Sep 20th, 2004 at 2:10am

I think this will make an 8-strand round braid (Hopefully it makes sense)-

Put four strands in each hand
Bring the outermost strand in your left hand around the back of your right-hand strands
Go under two, over two and back into your left hand (It is now the innermost left-hand strand)
Do the same with the outermost right-hand strand.
Keep going
And going
And going...

IP Logged

Lathron
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Sep 20th, 2004 at 7:57am

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Thanks, Petros. That's exactly what i was looking for. I tried it and it worked. Thanks again Grin

IP Logged

solobo

Reno, NV, USA
Reply #4 - Sep 20th, 2004 at 1:07pm

Keep going
And going
And going...

[/quote]
Like an Energizer battery Grin

solobo88  
IP Logged

Petros

Reply #5 - Sep 20th, 2004 at 5:32pm

Smiley No problem

I reckon you could sling a battery a fair way, the big ones would be best- there might even be a way to get them to explode on impact...??  Hmm...you've got me thinking now! I wonder how legal that is.  Undecided

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #6 - Sep 20th, 2004 at 10:01pm

The d batteries are dry inside so i doubt they would explode unless they where very hot. They would still be about the right weight, but it is bad for the enviroment.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Freeshadow
Novicius

8 strand braid + woven pouch
Reply #7 - Sep 21st, 2004 at 9:29am

if usage of an 8 strand braid is planned, i found a nice braid, which would (as i believe) allow to hake a quite solid pouch.
http://www.stringpage.com/braid/medbraids/brweave.png
Unfortunately I am quite new to the stuff & the chart showing the very beginning & finished piece doesen't give me enough hints how to do it. Could somebody of the more experienced ones drop an eye on this pattern and extend the explanation of it a bit?

The website I found it on says it was used to make belts thus I believe it will have enough consistence to serve as a pouch.

thanks in advance,
a newb trying to contribute good ideas.

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #8 - Sep 21st, 2004 at 6:26pm

Try doing a google search on 'Indian weaving' or 'finger weaving'.  You might add 'Chevron' if you're getting too many hits.

When I do that braid, I go from the inside out.  you could certainly use it to make a pouch, but you'd need a ton of strands.  Start with an even number of strands.  It's easier to get started if you tie them each to a rod (horizontally) so they all hang down in a row.  divide the strands into two equal groups, half on each side -- we'll say 4 on each side (4 in each hand).  Take the 4th one in from the left, weave it over the 5th, under the 6th, over the 7th, under the 8th, and hold it in the right hand.  You now have 3 strands in the left hand, 5 in the right.  Take what had been the 5th from the left -- now the 4th from the left.  It's already coming from under the strand you just did, so take it over the next strand to the left, under the one after that, over the one after that, until it comes out the left side of your braid.  Now you're back to 4 in each hand.  Repeat.  Weave over-under-over-under from the middle-left to the right, then take the middle-right and weave it back the other way to the left.  Make sense?  It should look like the picture on your site, but upside-down.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Rat Man, Chris, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker)