Send Topic Print
Pole axe or bad axe? (Read 22363 times)
Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Pole axe or bad axe?
Sep 13th, 2004 at 2:11pm

cold steel makes a pole axe for 79.99 US $ and a bad axe thats what i think more appropreatley should be named a hurel back or hurel bat but any way its 24.99 US $

what one shuld i get there both big buys for me and mowing season is almost up. I might have the money to get both but i dont know..

most of you guys are older then me so i was wondering if any of you have any of this or have any suggestion on what one to buy ill get a link for you in a sec.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Re: Pole axe or bad axe?
Reply #1 - Sep 13th, 2004 at 2:14pm

the bad axe is

http://www.coldsteel.com/92bx.html

and the pole axe is

http://www.coldsteel.com/89pa.html

so what one would you guys suggest?

thanks for the help

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #2 - Sep 13th, 2004 at 10:10pm

correct me if i am wrong, but arn't all the cold steel axe stype weapons use the same wood handle just with some handles longer than others? If this is the case i would buy the pole axe and then put on a 30 inch handle instead of a 6 foot one. Hey don't forget the battle  axe (the one that is 30 inches long and looks like a viking axe). I am going to buy this axe before deer season rolls around. Here is a good link to a place that sell a wide varity of battle axes. Cold steel is about half way down.
http://www.ragweedforge.com/ThrowingCatalog.html

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #3 - Sep 15th, 2004 at 8:02pm

i have the battel axe its nice. the only problem  with it is that the axe head gets a little loose but that can be fixed. In this case the pole axe and the bade axe are not the same shape or size.

I got the bad axe. I enjoy axe throwing and i can use the bad axe for things. If  i am ever attacked by a knight i will wish i had the pole axe haha.

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Josh
Tiro

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reply #4 - Sep 15th, 2004 at 8:08pm

I like the links.

KEEP 'EM SLINGIN

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #5 - Sep 15th, 2004 at 8:11pm

yes cold steel is nice thell send you a free dvd if your in the US.

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #6 - Sep 16th, 2004 at 1:23am

yeah i would recomend the free dvd from coldsteel. It is cool that they show the view of they test their products. You can't go wrong with free either.

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #7 - Sep 16th, 2004 at 1:26am

How did the battle axe get loose? I am going to buy one before deer season and i don't want it to fail in the woods. Isn't the pole axe on the same basic shaft as the battle axe? So wouldn't it get loose too.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #8 - Sep 16th, 2004 at 2:37pm

well i was being a dumb ass if you will pardon my french. and i would hit the lower shaft and not the axe head. it gets lose also if you dont assembel it right. but otherwise its great. I hit a rock one time split the rock and did not damage the axe. and have a look at the pole axe its different i think i cant rember.

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #9 - Sep 16th, 2004 at 2:59pm

The guy from www.ragweedforge.com said on his website that all the handles where interchageable. But He also doesn't sell the pole axe so he may not know what he is talking about or they may be totaly diferent handles.

Quote:
I hit a rock one time split the rock and did not damage the axe. 

So the cold steel battle axe can take some punshment!  Shocked

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #10 - Sep 16th, 2004 at 3:01pm

oh yes it can i was impressed. even with a lose handel it worked well. it just cuts trees. I use mine when i need to split wood or chop down a tree to make something with. its a nice axe. I like them.

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

S_ALLEN
Descens

N.Y.
Reply #11 - Sep 16th, 2004 at 11:50pm

Most axe handles will come loose from time to time, the haft shrinks or they just work loose. depending on the type of axe they can be wedged or some times just tapping them down the haft will tighten them. I believe cold steel uses the same haft for all thier small axes, the big axes I believe use a different haft.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #12 - Sep 18th, 2004 at 8:49am

yes what my axe head did apon closer inspection is that when it moved it shaved a little wood off and worked itself loose

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Sep 18th, 2004 at 9:57am

Most axes use a wedge to keep the head in place, don't they?  I know Granfors do, and most others...   And if you use a long seasoned piece of hardwood, like oak or hickory, then it shouldn't work loose.  Well, not soon.

IP Logged

solobo

Reno, NV, USA
Reply #14 - Sep 18th, 2004 at 12:44pm

I personally like the pole axe better.   Wink
Many axes and hammers use a wedge to keep them in place, sometimes one large wedge and two small going the other way.

solobo88  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man)