Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Maori war dance, NZ rugby team... (Read 2443 times)
rob

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Maori war dance, NZ rugby team...
Sep 13th, 2004 at 12:39pm

www.scs.wsu.edu/~jpaquett/nz_haka.php

as a student of warrior culture in general, i thought this was too cool not to share. the NZ All Blacks rugby team in their Adidas commercial, doing the 'haka' war dance before a match.

&&"...with slings of twisted wool from which they showered their missiles to break the ranks of the Trojans."

IP Logged

rob

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Maori war dance, NZ rugby team...
Reply #1 - Sep 13th, 2004 at 12:42pm

translation of the chant:

Ka Mate! Ka Mate!
Ka Ora! Ka Ora!
Tenei te ta ngata puhuru huru
Nana nei i tiki mai

Whakawhiti te ra
A upane ka upane!
A upane kaupane whiti te ra!
Hi!!

English Translation:
It is death! It is death!
It is life! It is life!
This is the hairy person
Who caused the sun to shine
Keep abreast! Keep abreast
The rank! Hold fast!
Into the sun that shines!

&&"...with slings of twisted wool from which they showered their missiles to break the ranks of the Trojans."

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #2 - Sep 13th, 2004 at 9:59pm

yeah i have watched the all black in a game before. They are very good especially the guy with the shoulder length hair and the guy that looks like lairs ulrich from metallica.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Sep 14th, 2004 at 1:45pm

Wow, a Metallica fan.  I have every album and EP on vinyl and CD as well as Mp3.  And live performances etc.  Not my favourite band though.
  New Zealand is a nice country - the Maori said that if New Zealand becomes a republic then they would go off and form a new country with the Queen as head of state.  Weird song though - "This is the hairy person
Who caused the sun to shine" ???

IP Logged

slingerkid

Job 39-42

Taranaki, New Zealand
Reply #4 - Oct 9th, 2005 at 3:10am

I am a kiwi - the all blacks rock - we beat the lions!

P.S - does the guy with shoulder lenght hair have dreadlocks? if so, he's called taunga umanga

The Earth moved, and the object hit the universe, as a chair, hitting the object. The crowd leaves to avoid itself. You are of the dream you once had tomorrow. Let go of the hand that holds itself, and it will let go of yourself.
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - Oct 9th, 2005 at 12:11pm

Yeah but who's world champions ? WE ARE !
And there isn't any member of the all blacks who doesn't have nightmares about martin johnson - may he be made saint :-)

The haka is pretty cool though. The samoans do a similiar one, but I'm sure the words to theirs involve ripping heads off and other such remarks.
Let's face it polynesians just like a good fight :-)

There's a wonderful story from the early days of new zealand. The white settlers were besieged by a tribe of maoris and the whites run out of both food and ammunition. rathere than let the fight end the maoris gave the whites both food and ammo.
You've got to love a culture like that :-)
But the english are still rugby world champions. :-)
And if there are any aussies out there - we've also got the ashes, so no worries mate :-)

Hey it's not often we english have anything to boast about so we like to make the most of it when it happens :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

ben_banned
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 7:45pm

megadeth anyone?

zero tolerance=zero intelligence

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #7 - Oct 14th, 2005 at 7:31pm

That has got to possibly be the coolest dance I have ever seen in my entire, 22 years of life. I mean, I, who hates dancing in almost all forms, am in awe. And the lyrics to the song...wow Shocked
And , on the subject of rugby, the All Blacks are a powerful team. I know the Wallabies have had a hard time beating them, at least in the games I watched.
Rob, you rock, man! Nice post!

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Grautr
Descens

Waes thu hael

Maastricht the Netherlands
Reply #8 - Oct 24th, 2005 at 4:38am

I used to work on security at the NZ high commission in London. Every wednesday the Haka dance team used to come and practice. They were the people who used to dance before an All Blacks match whenever they played in England. Lovely people, funny and intelligent. I was always amazed at how big they were especialy the 14 year old boy who was taller than me at 6'2"

it was so cold that year that everyones tongues stuck to their noses.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Oct 24th, 2005 at 7:33am

not sure they make maoris in any size other than BIG.
So you're saying there's a seperate dance troupe who entertain the crowd before the match ?
Never seen that.

The only thing that's shown on telly is the team itself performing the haka towards the other team.
The best one I saw was in a world championship game where western samoa played new zealand and both sides performed a haka.
There was practically blood spilt before the game started lol (and quite a lot during)
There used to be a western samoa player whose listed occupation was 'piano mover'. You got the impression he carried one in each hand. Not much for style but no other team relished playing the samoans you could pretty much count on injuries. :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Chris, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus)