Send Topic Print
My Sling (Read 20947 times)
KnollSlinger

The Davidson Road KnollSlinger

Chandler, Arizona, USA
Re: My Sling
Reply #15 - Sep 15th, 2004 at 3:43am

A few words on my I became such a slinger:

1) I was big, with sloping shoulders, and a strong thrower.

2) I lived out in the country on a knoll covered with rocks with plenty of room.

3) I was bored and my hobby was throwing rocks.

4) I expermented with different lenghts and materials then I found that if I used my whole body, I could be powerfull. 

5) I fell in love with slinging and devoted all my spare daylight time to it.

6) I ate a lot of steak.

7) I used to pretend I was throwing at unathorized vehicles comming up our lane.

8) nobody stopped me

The Davidson Road KnollSlinger&&Who can beat me?

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #16 - Sep 15th, 2004 at 7:04am

John "Knollslinger"

I am really inspired by your story.  Did your father use the same full spinning technique as you?

What other technique would you use for close quarters self defense? ???

Like everyone else, I can't wait for the video!!!

Tint

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #17 - Sep 15th, 2004 at 7:51am

John
You are a man after my own heart!
Guns(it's an American thing, some of you wouldn't understand)
Slings
Ammo
Hunting animals
etc...
Music to my ears!
Are you an archer? I'm a bow and arrow fanatic also, make my own tackle. English longbows, Indian plains bows, etc...
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

solobo

Reno, NV, USA
Reply #18 - Sep 15th, 2004 at 8:26pm

I'm no expert, but from what I've seen of the POWER OF THE SLING, even in my inexperienced hand that can only throw 200 yds, I don't doubt that a heavy rock thrown twice as hard could seperate a jack from its head. 
Where to sling is a problem for me too.  I'm starting to throw farther than my back yard allows.  Can't wait to see your technique. Smiley Wink Cheesy

solobo88  
IP Logged

KnollSlinger

Chandler, Arizona, USA
Reply #19 - Sep 16th, 2004 at 6:22am

In my youth, I had two bows.  One was not too hard to string.. a wood bow.  The other was for hunting Bear and it was all I could do to string it.  The pull was rediculuous.  It was not one of those fancy ones that is easy to do anything with.

My dad said it would explode if I shot it empty.

I used it for fun, was not serious.  I once shot a dead mouse for a joke and brought it home to show all!  HA HA! 

Bow did not go as far as sling.  Was not as easy to hit stuff with for me.  I liked to light and shoot sparklers lashed to arrow.

I do not know how else my father could have thrown 1/4 mile.  He did not provide much coaching after he saw my technique.. only advised me to move as far from the house as possible.  But I assurred him it only went where I wanted it to go.  An accidental release lacks all power.

For close quarters, keep a rock lashed into the pocket.
Then hog tie with a sweep to the legs.  then kick.

of course, I like to use big nails.. then use a slug with center drilled hole which slips over it.  around permiter of slug, are other holes to take three strands braided.

Just need grinding wheel and drill press to make this.  C clamps too.

Can tip tip in liquid nicotine.

This can be thrown.. tail keeps point forward.  Use grinder to sharpen point.  Use heavy nail.. very big.

I am thinking of buying some steel thowing cards.. a Royal flush to wear in my belt.

I also used a wrist rocket sling shot.  It could smash concrete blocks, but only had 225 yard range.  Both lighter bullet, and slower velocity than my sling.. by far!

boring. Sad

IP Logged

solobo

Reno, NV, USA
Reply #20 - Sep 20th, 2004 at 1:08pm

Hey, buddy, how's the video coming.  Sorry to bug you, but I'm itchin' to see it... Wink

solobo88  
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #21 - Sep 20th, 2004 at 9:45pm

I have been thinking the same thing for the last few days.  Started to lose sleep......can't really eat.....Please stop my agony.

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #22 - Sep 21st, 2004 at 11:33am

Can't eat, can't sleep, might miss the video.  Can't eat, can't sleep, might miss the video.  Can't eat, can't sleep, might miss...

Okay, so I took a six-footer out to a lake and tossed some rocks -- got them the same distance as with my 2-footer, with much less effort, but couldn't get them any farther.  I couldn't seem to get 'traction' on the longer sling, and had trouble getting them to angle upwards rather than straight out.  Obviously, more practice is needed, but anybody got some tips aside from that?  

My archer friend is growing more and more smug by the hour.  Gotta beat his range!  Please help!

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #23 - Sep 21st, 2004 at 1:37pm

Longer sling.  Thinner cords.  Better ammo (denser, smoother).

You might want to read through some of the articles here on the site.  There are a few that discuss casting styles.  You might find something new.

Chris

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #24 - Sep 21st, 2004 at 3:05pm

Just as in any rotary mechanism that uses the application of torque to achieve a desired ratio of power and speed......the sling must be designed to the accommodation of a given user.  When one seeks to go beyond the ratio at which the best trade-off of power to speed is obtained.....performance will suffer and much more exertive effort will be required to match the performance of having used the ratio at which best efficiency is reached.  

The sling, using a combination of applied torque, dynamic leverage, and  cetripetal forces to deliver it's desired effects will always perform best when the proper sling length is found for a given user/style.

In my limited experience with the sling,  a sling of such length would only find beneficial application for the delivery of much heavier ammo.....such that the required multiplication of revolutions to achieve the required launch speed are less taxing upon the arm/body of the slinger.  

Of course,  this is not to say that one cannot achieve similar results to a shorter sling whose length is best suited for the user under most circumstances....only that it will require much more exertion and therefore, wasted energy, to achieve same.  I can imagine that under somewhat extreme conditions and with precisely timed and repetitive physical exertions....one may even exceed that which they can accomplish quite regularly and with much less effort with a sling better matched to one's reasonable biomechanical potential.

« Last Edit: Sep 22nd, 2004 at 12:08pm by Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua »  

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #25 - Sep 21st, 2004 at 11:02pm

I have just made a five foot sling with kevlar cords.  Since the cords are so thin and light (only 1.3mm thick), it was very energy efficent, there was hardly any air resistance at all.  The helicopter style worked well with it.  I haven't workout how to do the full spin yet but I can feel the potential there.

IP Logged

solobo

Reno, NV, USA
Reply #26 - Sep 22nd, 2004 at 11:16am

kevlar cords?  Where do you get those? 
I've used some kind of very thin material, not sure what it's called but they use it for modern bow strings.  A six strand braid is about .9 mm thick.  Not very comfortable to sling, at least until I make a better release node than the tiny knot I have now, but very aerodynamic, with a small diamond leather pock about 2.5 by 1.5 inches.  Its about 3'6" long, folded.  I like it.

solobo88  
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #27 - Sep 22nd, 2004 at 10:17pm

solobo,

The kevlar I used is a tennis string made by a company called ashaway.  Tennis strings are usually too stiff for slinging but this one is an exception.  If you are interested in getting some, try ordering at www.tenniswarehouse.com, that's where I got them.  They come in reels of 360 feet at about us$65.

I'd wrap a rubber wire tubing at the end of the cords to keep the thin string from cutting into my hand.

IP Logged

solobo

Reno, NV, USA
Reply #28 - Sep 23rd, 2004 at 8:48am

Cool.  Thanks, tint.

solobo88  
IP Logged

KnollSlinger

Chandler, Arizona, USA
Reply #29 - Sep 30th, 2004 at 9:40pm

More secrets.. the elevation at my location was about 6000 feet.  This may have reduced air resistance a bit.

Use a small pocket and carefully balance the rock.
Small pocket, small resistance.

Use leather bootlaces in the form of two loops, one loop at each of the ends of the pocket.. ends the long way.

These loops should be of the correct size so that the pocket is shaped well when holding rock.

Tie nylon ropes (thin) to these laces for most of the 6'.

You want the knot to come up to your eyes when the pocket is on the ground with a rock.  If you are shorter, then your sling must be also.

Only four holes should be punched ,as close to corners as leather strength allows.

When you use your whole body, your "arm" length becomes much larger.  

Timing and cordination of the release, arm snap, and body spin are key to distance.  It feels good when you do it correctly.

VIDEO.. I have located a great grassy field...looks very much like a battle field.. and it is very green.

I will set up targets to be destroyed. Cheesy

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Rat Man, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Kick, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker)