Send Topic Print
a medieval hike (Read 10716 times)
Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
a medieval hike
Sep 12th, 2004 at 7:53pm

Im a big 12 century fan i like the crusades and i was wanting to go for a hike in the woods with full 12c templar gear. I know that they would have horses but i have no horses and i dont like horses any way.

so i was thinking this...

Your a german templar marching with your men to...somewhere to merge with a bigger group of men then your marching into the holey lands. but your walking throu a forest umm i know no other forests in germany other then the forest wald so your walking throu wald and bandits jump out and kill all your men and take your horse your the only surver so you hike throu the woods.

Now what would you have on you? do you have a bed roll? what do you have in presived food? Like do you have salted jerkey or something? you have a spear a sword all your chain mail and a helm but i dont know what kind of other stuff a knight would have on him.

now i want to go for a hike like my imagenary knight did and i would like to know what i should take. Like a bed roll or what kinds of food that sorta thing

thanks douglas

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Re: a medieval hike
Reply #1 - Sep 13th, 2004 at 8:57am

Germany is full of forests, but they are nearly always near large conurbations or scattered throughout with villages, so there is no real wilderness.  Anyway....
  The Knights Templar were a very strange order of knights - but I think it is unlikely they ever entered Germany.  The Teutonic knights make more sense, especially the idea about an ambush.  They were defeated by Alexander Nevsky at Lake Peipus, with a band of peasants.
  If I were going to go on a medieval hike, I would go as something lowly, because then you won't burden yourself with armour or anything.  Shelter would be anything you can find - maybe a hollowed out tree.  Dried meat, some bread, maybe an egg or two, some parsnips, herbs, that kind of thing.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #2 - Sep 13th, 2004 at 2:04pm

hmm cool i might as well try it with both lowley man at arms and mighty knight.

I have some chain mail and my mom is handy at making clothing i have asked her to make me medival clothing and i got some directions from a sca site.

(medival underwear is quite comfey by the way.)

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Sep 13th, 2004 at 2:24pm

A knight is a man-at-arms.  But a man-at-arms is not necessarily a knight.  Man-at-arms refers to men who fought like knights, but had not been knighted - they may have been working their way up.  In England that was the way at least, because in England, knighthoods were not hereditary.  Anyone could become a knight.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #4 - Sep 13th, 2004 at 4:16pm

aaa yes i always thought that a man at arms was just a trained soldier and a knight was well a knight a very well trained man at arms.

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Douglas

Just give me a good stone
and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Reply #5 - Sep 30th, 2004 at 1:35pm

I have a group where we discuss doing just what you suggest:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/widfaran/
I would appreciate you joining us and adding your input.

IP Logged

Douglas

and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Reply #6 - Sep 30th, 2004 at 1:45pm

Quote:
Now what would you have on you? do you have a bed roll? what do you have in presived food? Like do you have salted jerkey or something? you have a spear a sword all your chain mail and a helm but i dont know what kind of other stuff a knight would have on him.

A German Templar would likely have:
A sack made of rough linen or hemp, length equal to about his height, so that he can throw some hay or straw into it and sleep on that. The medieval name eludes me at the moment, but that's the English name not the German name anyway. He would also have two blankets or a cloak and a blanket.
A supply of Landjaeger, this is a kind of German dry sausage, used by hunters as the name suggests. Of course a large haversack or forage bag, filled with whatever gleanings the countryside would supply.
Not much else, as the Templars were sworn to poverty.
They were a religious order, and I don't think they got their knighthoods from any king, though I have been wrong before...Wink

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black

Reply #7 - Oct 2nd, 2004 at 7:17am

Thank you Douglas!!

that is just what i was looking for. Are you a sca member or some other historical group? Haha ive wanted to join up with some historical group of some kind but there are none in this area.

Thanks agen and if you know how to make the Landjaeger let me know. haha im a big sauasg fan. i like bratworst and stuff but a dry sausag sounds a little nasty.  Smiley

IP Logged

Douglas

and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Reply #8 - Oct 2nd, 2004 at 2:38pm

Douglas:

I get Landjaeger at the local German Wurst Haus. I'm sure the recipe must be on the web somewhere....

I am a member of Regia Anglorum. We re-enact the Viking Age in England, paying close attention to authenticity. Recently some of my local fellows and I worked with the History Channel to portray the Battle of Hastings (1066); it should be on the tv in November.
Some websites:
www.regia.org
http://www.mathomhouse.com/regia/
http://join.regia.org/
http://an-saxim.com/rana/introduction.htm
http://www.ranamember.org/

-Douglas Smiley

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black

Reply #9 - Oct 4th, 2004 at 7:53pm

thanks ill have a look at those. Now with my gear i use moccasins i dont know how or what crusader foot gear is made or looks.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Oct 5th, 2004 at 10:27am

Crusader foot gear would likely have been sandles basically in the Roman style - or maybe primitive leather boots.  Of course, there would have been armoured foot gear.
  I was thinking of joining Regia Angolorum - it seems like a group I'd like.  I'm very interested in the Saxon era in England; in fact, the entire early middle ages.

IP Logged

Douglas

and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Reply #11 - Oct 5th, 2004 at 11:43am

Here's a good site on Footwear in the Middle Ages:
http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/shoe/SHOEHOME.HTM
Sandal were not likely used, unless said Crusader was totally going native. Wink Shoes were very mocassin-like, except that stitches joining the upper to the sole were made while the shoes were turned inside out, which is why they call them "turnshoes".

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #12 - Oct 9th, 2004 at 2:02pm

Oh thanks that works.

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #13 - Oct 12th, 2004 at 8:18pm

Now what nuts,fruits, plants are found in both the US and Germany? Or at the least close enough for this hike.
sausage now it has a outer skin on it. How did they make those skins in the middle ages? Or do i want to know?

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Douglas

and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Reply #14 - Oct 13th, 2004 at 12:16am

Apples, pears, apricots, cherries, both fresh and dried. Walnuts and the beloved hazelnut (yum!).

No you don't want to know what makes the skin of a sausage, and it's the intestines of a beast, ooops, I told you... Smiley Oh, well...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Rat Man, David Morningstar)