Send Topic Print
Swords (Read 23849 times)
Matt_C
Funditor

Cruachan!!!

Cheshire, England
Re: Swords
Reply #135 - Nov 25th, 2004 at 5:42am

Stick fighting is normally a primer for using a blade, or for competition when a blade would be unsuitable. There are some styles of stick fighting that view the stick as its own rightfully deadly weapon, be it the small baston/eskrima stick (quite alot of schools teach the student to hold 2 baston at a time, so they can parry from multiple angles) the hanbo (traditionally carried in place of a short spear or sword, or as a self-defence weapon in its own right) usually about 4 ft long, 1 inch thick, tapering at either end to improve the mechanical advantage of a hit, and also to make the stick more structurally durable. The quarter staff, or bo, 6 ft long, tapering, and when you've had some experience with it, very fast.
The main disadvantage of stick fighting is vulnerability of your hands and fingers, sliding another weapon along the stick to parry is usually done with a quick spinning/hand changing motion, to try and throw the sword up and hit with the other end of the staff, most of the time the middle of the staff, between the hands, is used for blunt bashing and defence strikes. The ends of the stick are used for punching, whacking, and also for defence in their own right. Most schools that teach sticks as a weapon in their own right also teach you about using the side of the staff applied to an enemies neck will knock them off balance (a classic example).
The best way to think about a stick, particularly the long ones, is not as something to twirl around as fast as possible, but as a large club with you being the pivot. Most realistic moves are much more simple then what you'd see on TV.
If you want you and a friend can probably train yourself with sticks, just picking up stuff from here and there and applying it in like sparring (some experience is still better then none, and I am a believer in self-teaching). I don't recommend using a heavy wood, something light, even PVC tubing is good, but can be painful when whacked by it. Try and wrap it in packing foam, for example.
Sorry about the long posts... I kinda like sticks. Tongue

The last time I saw a rainbow I threw my beard over it

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #136 - Nov 25th, 2004 at 12:54pm

me and my little brother use to stick fight. we did not have any style what so ever. but i did find that its much more effecticte to thrust the stick into someones gut then to swing it. winging the staff makes it way too easy to block and leaves you open.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

DCR

Cute slogan pending. ~Management

Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
Reply #137 - Nov 25th, 2004 at 11:44pm

Hey, Douglas the Black, in your stick fighting with your bro, you discovered why armed civillians of old favored the rapier (thrusting) over the side-sword (cut&slice).

Anyhoo, I studies with some Escrimadors while stationed in Pearl Harbor. A great bunch of guys carrying on the  family lineage of Pedoy Derobio Escrima
  They finaly have their own website. check it out!

http://www.pedoyschoolofescrima.com/articles/derobiohistory.htm

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #138 - Nov 26th, 2004 at 8:25am

yes maybe so, but thats the beuty of a Gross messer. you can stab you can swing. I would try throwing it but i dont want to get it durty.

haha throwing a sword. Not too usefull but you could give it a try.

I came up with a gimmick. you have a stake, like a wooden stake around 3 feet long. with a heavy meatal tip. and you have your shield in your left, you sword on your belt. You practice throwing the stake downword so it sticks point first in the ground. When your fighting with the sword shield and stake you move in close enough throw the stake into the guys foot. now if he is wering boots this wont impale his foot to the ground but it may break it. And that should stunn him. you then use a nice shield bash to the face knocking him over, draw your sword and take care of him.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

S_ALLEN
Descens

N.Y.
Reply #139 - Nov 27th, 2004 at 10:55pm

here's a good site on Irish stick fighting...http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/4933/shillelagh.html

IP Logged

Matt_C
Funditor

Cruachan!!!

Cheshire, England
Reply #140 - Nov 28th, 2004 at 5:03am

If I wanted to play unfair I'd just stick them with a knife between the third and fourth when their back is turned... Tongue

IP Logged

DCR

Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
Reply #141 - Nov 28th, 2004 at 6:00am

Hey, S_ALLEN,

That Irish bata site is too frickin' cool! I sent the link to my fencing instructors. I have a feeling we'll be whackin' each other with shilelagh before too long.

IP Logged

S_ALLEN
Descens

N.Y.
Reply #142 - Nov 28th, 2004 at 11:42am

if you liked that one here are a couple more

http://www.geocities.com/glendoyle/bata/
http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/bata/?yguid=89331184

I have always been facinated by Irish stick fighting, I almost always carry a walking stick, I also carry a knife but a stick is always in hand and no one thinks twice about you carrying one. I feel it is a excellent self defence weapon.
« Last Edit: Nov 28th, 2004 at 7:23pm by S_ALLEN »  

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #143 - Nov 28th, 2004 at 12:22pm

Ahhh but Matt_C what if your just walking along and some one like say a highway man pops out, nice to have a gimmick too even things up. you cant always sneak up on someone.

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Matt_C
Funditor

Cruachan!!!

Cheshire, England
Reply #144 - Nov 28th, 2004 at 4:23pm

Douglas, that's probably the least likely attack to ever happen, what would be in a modern sense an "out of the bushes" mugging. Throwing anything pointy is simply throwing away a potential weapon (in my eyes). Just learn how to palm open a 2 inch locker. Most people wouldn't expect that in a million years. Or be smart and RUN LIKE HECK! The Nike Defence (TM)

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #145 - Nov 28th, 2004 at 4:57pm

I wasent meaning in a modern sence. I was just thinking of if you where walking along, with a sword shield and a stake, maybe using it as a walking stick, (well not a walking stick its only 4 foot long) or using it as something i think that maybe it would be a good way to get the edge on someone who surprise attacks you. I dont know might work. I am not going to try it Wink

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

DCR

Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
Reply #146 - Nov 28th, 2004 at 6:11pm

If you are solid in the art, you don't need gimmicks. If you're armed with a sword, you'd have little use for any kind of stick, throwing or otherwise. If you were armed with a stick only, then be solid in that art. As long as you're solid in your art, you've little to fear from the undisciplined.

That's a great site on whiskey stick dance, by the way. Thanks for sharing that interesting info.

IP Logged

Mike_R
Funditor

Reply #147 - Nov 28th, 2004 at 6:13pm

Here is a foolproof defence against mugging. Go to a military surplus store and buy a disarmed grenade. Muss your hair up real bad before going out. Wear your shirt half tucked and half untucked. Mutter lots. Then if muggers approach pull out the grenade, pull the pin then start yelling about vietnam (substitute bosnia, iraq or whatever depending on your age.)

IP Logged

knight

blargh~

Philadelphia
Reply #148 - Nov 28th, 2004 at 6:26pm

heh sounds like fun but i have fun useing irish celtic stick fighting but o well. and also how about a stick with a sword conceled inside that would be awsome and legal intill u whip out the sword.

...&&&&
xrpgknightx xrpgknightx  
IP Logged

S_ALLEN
Descens

N.Y.
Reply #149 - Nov 28th, 2004 at 7:21pm

the problem with sword canes(I have 2) is that they are considered a concealed weapon in most states and are just plain illeagel to own in others. While a stick can be just as effective and are not considered a weapon at all.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar)