Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 11
Send Topic Print
Swords (Read 23828 times)
Hobb

Denver, CO
Swords
Sep 7th, 2004 at 4:51pm

How can we have a primitive weapons board without a thread about swords?  Fast and deadly rapiers, horse-killing claymores, brutally effecient katana, the wood and obsidian club-swords of the Aztecs (I think it was the Aztecs.  Inca?  Mayan?)...  Where are my fellow bladesmen?  Bladeswomen?

IP Logged

solobo

Reno, NV, USA
Re: Swords
Reply #1 - Sep 7th, 2004 at 6:11pm

My sword is yours.
I'm fascinated by swords also.  The sabre is one of my favorites.  I'm going to take a fencing class next month (should be interesting).  Although in common war the sword is not of much use, using a sword is an excellent skill for self defense.  There's always something handy: a stick, car antenna, etc. that one can use to drive off thugs if he knows how to use it. Grin

solobo88  
IP Logged

MammotHunter

Reply #2 - Sep 7th, 2004 at 9:36pm

*Brandishes his claymore and steps forward* we are here, brother! I find that few things in my personal arsenal can make the most conservative people truly swear out loud like the sight of a four and a half foot claymore resting against a board in my room. It's my personal favourite sword, and it's the one I would choose foremost to go into a battle with. Nothing beats the power and ferocity of a meat cleaver the size of a fourth grader. It's terrific; my sister has friends who are smaller than my sword!

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Sep 8th, 2004 at 9:19am

Well, a sword isn't really a primitive weapon - it requires a forge, sophisticated metal-working technology.... but point taken.  I have made a "wooden club-sword" which is indeed Aztec - I think the reason they were used was because it is very easy to churn out tiny microliths of obsidian, take a roughly made a club and stick the rock in the shaft.  I found it easy, anyway.  Used a handaxe for the carving, which I was pleased with, because it was the first totally primitive thing I made.  It looks quite nice, sanded with sandstone, smoothed with beachstones until it shone and still shines.  I used alder because it has a nice red colour and is easy to carve (although I appreciate it is not traditional and is too light for a proper war-club).
 Anyway, that is just about the only sword-type weapon I have.  Apart from some large knives, and a 14 inch flint dagger.

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #4 - Sep 8th, 2004 at 11:17am

I fenced recreationally (no ranking or titles) for 3 years or so.  It was fun, and surprisingly aerobic.  I thought my martial arts had me in good condition, but just a couple of footwork drills would leave me gasping.  Great sport. 
I've got a cutlass with a basket hilt -- my favorite type of sword -- and my wife's got a claymore.  We keep hers by the door in case of salesmen.  We keep mine by the nightstand in case of pirates.  Wink

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #5 - Sep 8th, 2004 at 2:30pm

I have got a gross messer off of cold steel and i love that thing. Like i have said warhammers are my favortie weapon but you got to like swords. i make very little money so the $300 was very hard to get i put my whole summer into buying that sword. Mowing lawns for $10 is not fun. But it was worth it.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #6 - Sep 8th, 2004 at 9:41pm

You can proably use your sword for weed eating.  As sharp as they come from cold steel, you would have no problem.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #7 - Sep 9th, 2004 at 1:55pm

haha yes i love that sword it has my whole summer in it.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

solobo

Reno, NV, USA
Reply #8 - Sep 10th, 2004 at 5:29pm

Douglastheblack,
I'm with you on lawn mowing.  300 bucks takes a while to get.

solobo88  
IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #9 - Sep 10th, 2004 at 8:47pm

what model is your sword?

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #10 - Sep 10th, 2004 at 9:42pm

I have the gross messer its on cold steel ill find you the link some time.

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #11 - Sep 10th, 2004 at 9:53pm

here is the site http://www.coldsteel.com/88gm.html

thats the gross messer cool isent it?

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

solobo

Reno, NV, USA
Reply #12 - Sep 14th, 2004 at 10:06pm

Gross messer.  What a cleaver.   Grin
51st post!  I'm a full member!  YAYYYYY! Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

solobo88  
IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #13 - Sep 14th, 2004 at 10:24pm

Is that why you did some many posts tonight?  Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink
Congradulations.  8)

p.s. this is just a reason to help me get to my future godly statis.  Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

S_ALLEN
Descens

N.Y.
Reply #14 - Sep 14th, 2004 at 11:09pm

Been collecting swords for over 20 years have had everything from kukris to claymores.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 11
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Chris)