Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Book: From Stone to Steel (Read 789 times)
Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Book: From Stone to Steel
Sep 2nd, 2004 at 11:25am

I ran across a book index that mentions slings several times.  It's RPG oriented, but from a historical perspective.  Other than that, don't know much about it.  Here are the items of interest from it's index:

Bullets:
-Bronze Sling 58
-Clay Sling 99
-Lead Sling 69

Pole-mounted sling 75

Sling
-Bullets 17
-Double string 74

Celtic Myth
- Lugh’s Rainbow Sling 285

Here is the books page:
http://www.monkeygodenterprises.com/stone.htm

and a PDF of the index:
http://www.monkeygodenterprises.com/PDFs/FSTS-index.pdf

Chris

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Re: Book: From Stone to Steel
Reply #1 - Sep 2nd, 2004 at 2:54pm

Many RPG books are surprisingly accurate from a historical, and especially from a mythological, perspective.  Be careful, though.  They usually fall short from a practical perspective, meaning they describe the use of weapons as the authors imagine them being used, usually by Conan-like heros, instead of how they were most likely used in the real world.  The sling is a good example.  I've seen lead 'bullets' described as being 'always destroyed on impact,' when we know they often survive for centuries.

IP Logged

James Burdine

Re: Book: From Stone to Steel
Reply #2 - Sep 3rd, 2004 at 2:40am

I wouldn't imagine that there would be many bronze slingbullets.  Bronze was a difficult metal alloy.  Having a bonze dagger or knife was a status symbol.  Besides lead and even stone was easier to come by, and work with.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, vetryan15, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man)