Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Japanese Slings (Read 6536 times)
english
Ex Member

Re: Japanese Slings
Reply #15 - Sep 5th, 2004 at 12:38pm

Lol, you sure do know how to ramble and confuse.  I think it may be a subtle ploy to patronise and disguise it.  In fact, not-so-subtle ploy.
 But there probably is a sling in your ancestry - I mean obviously not in your immediate ancestry, that would be plain weird - but I am sure that someone in your family must have used a sling-like weapon at some stage, be it an atlatl, sling, or a sling-ancestor such as a bolas.  Not that this has made a definite mark on your sub-concious.  Not that it hasn't, though.
  What an odd line of conversation to go down.

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #16 - Sep 5th, 2004 at 3:06pm

English....you remind me of one of our more notorious politicians....one Bill Clinton.   I will make no pretense at sympathy for your juvenile displays of adaptive reasoning.   You give me far too much credit....If I confuse you I make no apology but instead would ask you to ruminate just a bit more over the discussion at hand before scattering your two bits worth to the four winds.    I have no problem at all being accountable for my words.......'rambling' and 'confusing' as they are to you.   On the other hand,  your concept of self accountablity for your statements seems to revolve around the rather 'Clintonian' concept of what the word 'is' is......it is your rather irritating habit of ducking accountability for your ill choice of words that is at issue here.....and typical of a person of your indignant youth.....rather than own up to your thoughtless blathering,  you would shift the burden to someone else....who 'rambled on' and confused you.......

Grow up a bit lad.   Seek to mature beyond the unenviable position of 'discussionary dilettante' and you may be taken more seriously.

Wink

P.S.  'Wit without wisdom is like a load of books on the back of an ass.'

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #17 - Sep 5th, 2004 at 3:46pm

English, TechStuff, ......now, now, play nice, kids.  mgreenfield

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #18 - Sep 5th, 2004 at 3:50pm

CRAAAACCCKKKK!   The whip of common sense has spoken.

Thank you sir,  may I have another.

Wink

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Sep 6th, 2004 at 2:56am

I fear I may have to swear.  Techstuf, you republican, conservative, patronising, overbearing crank:  "Grow up a bit lad".  I am six feet tall.  If I grow anymore, I shall be considered a giant.   Quote:
English....you remind me of one of our more notorious politicians....one Bill Clinton.
Interesting; I have always considered him a role model.  He knows how to have fun, he's happy, and successful.  I believe you remind me of one of your own current politicians, whose name is often taken with the same reverence as that of "God" in your country.
Quote:
rather than own up to your thoughtless blathering,  you would shift the burden to someone else....who 'rambled on' and confused you.......
"Thoughtless blathering" indeed.  Although I would say that talking about Japanese conduct in the Second World War would come under that particular.  Do not believe that you lessen the impact of words if they come with a wink.  It merely serves to make them more patronising, and, if I may say so, and even if I may not, tiring.
  Anyway, with regard to Japanese slings:  I would imagine that, had Japanese slings existed and been used more often, they would be most excellent quality, and braided no doubt - we all know of Japanese braiding techniques, and the skill and importance they applied to all their martial implements, so it would therefore be probable that a Japanese sling might have been a thing of excellent sling technology.  Pity they did not.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Sep 6th, 2004 at 3:00am

Awfully sorry that the thread has been taken over by argument, Chris.

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #21 - Sep 6th, 2004 at 10:19pm

Duke it out by email guys, not in the forum please.

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #22 - Sep 7th, 2004 at 8:32am

The Korfmann map shows no indication of slings being used in Japan. Over the years, I've read much about Japanese military history and haven't come across any information about slings. I visited some military museums while in Japan and remember seeing nothing concerning slings or sling ammo. It boils down to this: evidence. Do we have an artifact? Any literary references?

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #23 - Sep 7th, 2004 at 11:21am

None.  At least that I could find.  Back in my 'glory' days as a martial arts practioner,  I searched diligently but could find not a single reference to slings or even a close derivative used in Japan.  This of course, is not to discount the possibilty that they may have seen limited use perhaps among Okinawan farmers who became quite adept at ultra utilitarian weapon concepts.    I demonstrated various quick draw and power slinging concepts at our Dojo to highlight the superiority of the sling over myriad Japanese fighting implements.....not a single taker.  Although the whole premise of Ninjutsu was....(and presumably still is?) to scavenge from the best wherever it is found so as not to limit oneself, curiously, the sling is a strange animal to most people.   Seems there is no middle ground for the sling at large.  One either 'gets it' or doesn't.   Japan never 'got it'.....although I prefer to consider that she just never had the opportunity.

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #24 - Sep 7th, 2004 at 11:29am

I lean towards your conclusions Tech! I've trained in various martial arts for 24 years and never came across "sling-ryu, sling-do, sling-jitsu........!

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #25 - Sep 7th, 2004 at 12:54pm

10 years o' fightin' here, and nary a sling in sight.  Of course, most of my training has been in styles that don't use many weapons, but still...  I've never even heard of slings in the Chinese or Filipino systems, and between the two of them they cover just about every pre-firearm weapon imaginable.

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #26 - Sep 7th, 2004 at 1:54pm

Yes,  for instance, in 'Shirai Ryu' one seeks to master the art of throwing spikes.....many varied throwing styles and no record of evolvement beyond unaided throwing styles.   One of my most favored aspects of Ninjutsu was the throwing of shaken/shuriken.

The shaken I use are heavy, thick and durable.  3/16" thickness  surgical stainless.  The throwing darts or 'shuriken', are sand filled epoxy plugged 2512 easton arrow shaft.......effective with or without fletching......although with fletching and slung overhand  they become absolutely evisceral....especially with NAP's  scorpion XP mechanical broadhead.

Even a short sling can be used to propel a fletched shuriken dart with deadly force and accuracy....... Wink

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #27 - Sep 7th, 2004 at 2:13pm

Did you make those Tech? Wow!- you've got us all beat in weapons manufacturing!!

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #28 - Sep 7th, 2004 at 6:26pm

Can you guys find any references to Asian slings?  Chinese? Korean? Thai? Anything?  They had the trebuchet, so the sling was certainly there, but maybe not used independently?  Was it displaced by the bow? 

Chris

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #29 - Sep 7th, 2004 at 6:37pm

Johnny,  although we do much of our own prototyping in house,  I did not make these shaken.   I have found that the Chinese can blow me out of the water when it comes to cost of production.  I get these from china by the crate for $2.00 apiece!  I couldn't begin to produce my own of this quality for anywhere near that price.   I will try and get some pics up of what can be accomplished with these shaken and my 18" thrower.......I would almost certainly be accused of photo manipulation after one sees the penetration results.  8)

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Morphy, vetryan15, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker)