Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Proposed Outline. v2 (Read 12985 times)
english
Ex Member

Re: Proposed Outline. v2
Reply #30 - Nov 13th, 2004 at 6:39am

Leather in China:
  Yuan dynasty, Kublai Khan's administration set up the following governmental departments: "Directorate of Leather and Furs", "Directorate of Felt Manufacturers", "Court of the Imperial Tack" (which dealt with horse saddles and harnesses and so on, leather products).  Also, there is mention of Chinese use of hardened leather as lamellar armour, just as the Mongols did - so it wasn't like leather wasn't around for slings.  I think the other ideas are better.  Nice going though Tint - good ideas.

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #31 - Nov 13th, 2004 at 7:03pm

English,

China was ruled by the Mongols in the Yuan Dynasty. 

But you are right though.  Leather must have been around, it just wasn't very popular.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Nov 14th, 2004 at 3:30am

Yes, I know that.  But what it shows is that there were leatherworkers, leather, and items that required leather in use.

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #33 - Nov 26th, 2005 at 1:54am

You're leaving out all of Polynesia!

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

nightweave
Descens

That's not a sling. This
is a sling!

Perth Western Australia
Reply #34 - Jul 18th, 2006 at 3:06am

Hello All,

Sorry to take so long to reply, but have been busy with RL stuff.

Ok Wiki's are not books they are designed for the specific purpose of sharing information and to be editable by the community to ensure that they are up to date and correct at all times.

If you'd wanted a technical book then you should have done it as html and had several writers and an editor run over the website.  Much like the front page of slinging.org.

So currently I am already watching every page I have created and anything that has been edited by me. That is the wiki way of doing things. You take responsibility for your area or what you want to look after and go from there.

If you want to make it a book two things need to change:

1. Technical books are written completely different from how the propose out lines have been put in place.  I am not going to tell you how to write your wiki but be ware it isn't a book in its current format.

2.  You need committed writers who are going to research their work and do the writing along with a serious editor.

You want the Project Goliath to work?

Then some suggestions come to mind.

1. You have a lot of brilliant, smart and very interesting people on slinging.org each with their own way of doing things. Get them working on the projects that need to be completed. Don't bother doing any layout until that is done. People find things and sub-projects can blow out into their own project. You have a list of things to work on use them.

2. Get a list of things that need to be completed. Then put that out for submissions for people to do.

3. Once you find out who is actually doing the work load them up. Because they are the people who are going to complete Project Goliath,  everyone else is just along for the ride. (Don't hate me for telling you the truth of the matter.)

4. The Forums have a massive amount of data in them, each project should be assigned a person to troll (Dig people not the other one) the forums for that information; That is to be collated and then you have yourself an expert to write that area. (We have a lovely lady already doing this but her scope is too broad.)

5. The joy of wiki. Wiki data can be moved and manipulated anytime and place once this is all completed then you're away. Make sure everyone who works on this project has a logon. Make sure that you can not edit a page without being logged on. Make sure if you did it you keep an eye on the editor so that you can talk to the editor about why he/she changed it.

If you guys are serious about this project then let's stop talking about the way it's laid out and what should be in it; Get a move on and just do it.

If you want to talk about layouts IM me and I'll explain what layout work is but first get you content done.

nightweave

nightweave@gmail.com  
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #35 - Jul 18th, 2006 at 11:50am

Nightweave,
You have fallen into the old post trap this time, sorry to confuse you.

If you look at the last post before yours you see its date was back in 05 and the last before that 04.

Later Chris started the WIKI, because that seems the better way for the 'sling book' than any other system currently available.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Chris, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark)