Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Proposed Outline. v2
Aug 31st, 2004 at 9:16pm

[b]Preface[/b] [Chris]

• Forgotten weapon.
• Limited literature on the sling.  Reason for book.
• The slings historical significance, and how it shaped the course of history.
• It's significance today.

[b]Anatomy of The Sling[/b] [Jeff H]

[b]Casting Styles[/b] [David T]

[b]Pre-Historic Period[/b]

• Paleolithic, Neolithic.  General origins of the sling.  [Chris]
- Where did the sling develop?
- What was the sling used for?
- What other projectile weapons were being used and how did they compare.
- Earliest evidence of use.

• Bronze Age
- Sumerian (Mesopotamia) (3200–2360 BC)
- Egypt (2850–715 BC)
- Minoan & Mycenean (3000–1100 BC)
- Indus Valley (3000–1500 BC)
- Akkadian (2350–2230 BC)
- Assyrian (1800–889 BC)
- Babylonian I (1728–1686 BC)
- Hittite  (1640–1200 BC)
- Hebrew (1000-740 BC)

• Iron Age
- Mede  (835–550 BC)
- Phoenician (1100–332 BC)
- Scythian (800–300 BC)
- Phrygian (1000–547 BC)
- Persian (559–330 BC)
- Babylonian II (625–539 BC)
- Cimmerian  (750–500 BC)
- Lydian  (700–547 BC)
- Etruscan  (900–396 BC)
- Olmec (1200-1000BC)
- Greek (900–200 BC)

[b]Historic Period[/b]

• Roman Empire (500 BC - 300 AD) [Graham Cole]

• Barbarian Tribes (200-400 AD)

• Byzantine Empire (500- 1453 AD)

• Mongol Empire (220 BC - 1360 AD)

• Mayan (1000BC–1500 AD)

• Aztec empire (1400-1519 AD)

• Inca Empire (1438-1538 AD)

• Europe
- Viking (780-1100AD)
- Norman (1000-1400)
- Anglo-Saxon (400-900 AD)
- Southern (Balear Islands, Spain,…)
- Celtic (500BC - 300AD)

[b]Modern Period[/b]

• Renaissance (14th cen – 16th cen)

• Enlightenment (16th cen - 1790)

• Modern Time [Foner]
- Spanish Civil war
- Balearic Traditions + many other nations' (pacific islands,…)
- World War I (II?)
- Palestine

[b]Physics of The Sling (and Projectiles)[/b] [Hondero, Yurek, Matthias]

[b]Sling-Related Weapons  [/b]
• Bolas  
• Staff-sling  
• Cestrosphendon [Mithras]

[b]References[/b]

[b]Index[/b]
« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2004 at 9:56pm by Chris »  
IP Logged

Chris

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Re: Proposed Outline. v2
Reply #1 - Aug 31st, 2004 at 9:27pm

Each historical section should review the following if possible:

- What context the sling was used in (military, hunting, herding?)
- How were the slings made? Material? Made by whom? Length? Pouch type? etc…
- What other projectile weapons were being used and how did they compare?
- Review of notable physical evidence from this era. (slings? Projectiles? Art?)
- Review of notable written evidence from this era.
- Notable military actions with slingers.

Let me know what else could be covered in each subsection (i.e. - Assyrian)

I much prefer this outline as it keeps everything within it's own group.  The other outline had way to much overlap.  You can't have a section like "types of slings" when your going to talk about each type in it's respective section (like Roman or Greek slings).  I think this is much cleaner, and I'd love to hear what you guys think. 

It's not complete, but I think I've nailed most of the sling-using groups.  I've included almost every civilization on the planet (except asian ones, as I don't believe they used slings, but please let me know if I'm wrong).

Please add to this outline.  If you know, for example, of central-european groups that used the sling, let me know and I'll add them.

I've included the writers names in square brackets.  If you'd like to commit to a section, even a really small one like Mede civilization, which would only need to be a few pages long, let me know.  You'll have your name in what could be the definitive sling publication for hundreds of years! 

Chris

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 1st, 2004 at 7:09am

I like it.  Good order.  You might want to separate Paleolithic, Mesolithic and Neolithic into three defined section; the paleolithic was very, very primitive, compared to the late mesolithic and neolithic.  In the paleolithic, flintknapping for example was very crude - whereas in the neolithic some cultures had some knowledge of bronze, if not copper.  The bow wasn't around in the paleolithic, for example.  I also found a picture in a book about prehistory (a children's book - you can find all sorts if you look about) of some slingstones at maiden castle, that were reportedly used for repelling the Romans.  Or not, as the case in fact was, because the Britons were annihilated.  I'll scan it or something.
« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2004 at 12:35pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #3 - Sep 1st, 2004 at 11:13am

Nice outline, very clean.  You might want to add a section for Celtic slings.  I'm not sure which time period they would fit into, though.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Sep 1st, 2004 at 12:33pm

Celtic slings would be bronze age/iron age borderline, so either would be ok.  In fact, maiden castle was a British/Celtic fort, so the slingstones found there would be part of that proposed section.

IP Logged

Chris

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #5 - Sep 1st, 2004 at 2:30pm

It would be good to include the Vikings, Norse, Anglo-Saxon and Celts.  Could someone quickly research this and let me know what time periods I should place them into.  Right now I have the european cultures in the Historical Period, which is incorrect. I know celts were iorn age, what were the others?

Chris

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #6 - Sep 1st, 2004 at 2:40pm

What about Hebrew slingers? The time of the Judges was the late Bronze age. David lived in the Iron age. I don't know if the "age" matters, put the Hebrews where you want. I think you need to include the Hebrews, David is the most famous slinger!

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Chris

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #7 - Sep 1st, 2004 at 9:58pm

I've included many of your suggestions.  Please give it a look over and let me know how to further improve it.

I've grouped all the european cultures in the modern section despite the fact they begin in the iron age.  The all extend into historic time (which I consider roman onwards).  It just doesn't seem right to include them along side Greeks and Phoenicians.

Chris

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Sep 2nd, 2004 at 7:49am

The Anglo-Saxons are late Iron Age, and they did develop quite good steel making technology.  I am not sure whether the Normans need a whole sub-chapter, but I don't know how much information on them there is.  The Vikings are certainly "historic age".  However, I disagree with doing a chapter on the Mongols - I am fairly certain the sling was not used by them.  Barbarian Tribes should contain all of the peoples mentioned in "Europe", because that is what they were in reality.
  The way I see it, there should be more actual content to the book, and less in the contents.  By which I mean, we don't want a book with three pages of contents and only 100 pages of text.
  David only lived in the Iron Age because he stole iron-working technology from the Philistines.  But I'd certainly agree with his inclusion - he is what everyone thinks of as a slinger.

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #9 - Sep 2nd, 2004 at 10:12am

I don't think "stole" is a proper term in reference to David bringing iron into Hebrew metal-working. King Achish gave David the Philistine city of Ziklag as a gift, when David was a mercenary serving in their armies. Thereafter, Ziklag belonged to the Kings of Judah(1 Samuel 27:6). Archaeologist confirm that Israel began smithing iron around 1000 BC.

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Sep 2nd, 2004 at 10:58am

Well, fine. You evidently know far more about this than I do.  Biblical history, and indeed the history of the so-called holy land and middle east, has never particularly interested me.  I suppose it is the sections in the Old Testament where it is essentially about allegiances amongst tiny tribal kingdoms that turned me away from the subject.  The fact that David got iron-working technology from the Philistines is one of the few facts I know about the whole region.

IP Logged

Chris

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #11 - Sep 2nd, 2004 at 10:30pm

"The way I see it, there should be more actual content to the book, and less in the contents.  By which I mean, we don't want a book with three pages of contents and only 100 pages of text. "

I think having a comprehensive outline ensures the book with be comprehensive as well.  By laying out who and what we want to cover in each section, we know what the final product will include.  We also need a clean way of dividing up work, and allowing people to pursue topics big and small.  Even if some of the lesser-know cultures like the Phrygian only have a page or two, that will still add up to be a thick volume. 

"However, I disagree with doing a chapter on the Mongols - I am fairly certain the sling was not used by them."

I've included many groups that may or may not have used the sling.  At this point, I'm not willing to leave them out until proven otherwise. 

"Barbarian Tribes should contain all of the peoples mentioned in "Europe", because that is what they were in reality. "

I was thinking more along the lines of Germanic, Hun, Visigoth, etc. groups.   What would you recommend calling them?

Chris

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Sep 3rd, 2004 at 6:44am

Well, you've got to remember that the Saxons, Vikings, Jutes, Frisians, etc are all basically Germanic barbarian tribes.  They didn't move away and suddenly become a different people.  The Huns almost certainly did not use the sling, and neither did the Mongols - the Hun/Mongol (and other central Asian tribes) weapon is the composite bow - they had no need for slings.  This isn't to say they definitely did not use the sling - it is simply that they didn't use it enough to leave evidence that is substantial enough to warrant an entire chapter.
 I agree that by adding in all the tribes and cultures mentioned, you would end up with a hefty volume.  What I was thinking was, some of them could be clumped together, and make a substantial chapter, rather than a lot of little sub-chapters.  I don't agree with the actual content; I think that chapters on cultures who used the sling, but whom most people haven't heard of, are a very good thing.  That helps to back up the idea of the sling as a universal weapon.

IP Logged

Chris

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #13 - Sep 3rd, 2004 at 11:22pm

"This isn't to say they definitely did not use the sling - it is simply that they didn't use it enough to leave evidence that is substantial enough to warrant an entire chapter. " 

Very true.  As I think we'll find with many of the groups currently included. 

"What I was thinking was, some of them could be clumped together, and make a substantial chapter, rather than a lot of little sub-chapters."

Chapters are the bullet-pointed Items.  Divisions are in bold, and sub sections, within chapters are dashed.  There will be some horizontal rule or similar separating the later.  (I'll have to clean up the Historical period a bit). 

Chris

IP Logged

Dan_Bollinger
Descens

Have Sling, Will Travel

West Lafayette, Indiana, USA
Reply #14 - Sep 16th, 2004 at 11:47am

Let's face it, a book has one, two, or perhaps three authors at most.  What you are creating -- where many people work on one, small chapter or sub-chapter -- is properly called an encyclopedia.  Encyclopedias have editor(s) to keep the sections complete and coherent.  My two cents.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Chris, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini)