Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A near-death-experience (Read 2467 times)
solobo

Reno, NV, USA
A near-death-experience
Aug 29th, 2004 at 5:18pm

Well, maybe not exactly near death, but pretty close.  It all started on a windy night, with a full moon shining through the dark clouds...

I finally brought it to life.  There he lay before me, long, deadly, dangerous.  The biggest sling I'd ever used, fully five feet long when loaded, able, (I hoped) to sling baseball-sized rocks hundreds of yards with ease.

Darkness fell, and I had time for only a few test throws before it was time to turn in.

The next day, my friend Andrew came to my house, and full of the foolishness of youth, I dragged him out to the back yard for a demonstration.

Little did I know how I would regret my decicion.

I began by hurriedly explaining the AWESOME POWER of the sling, while carelessly loading my weapon with a small stone.  I whirled, using njwimanitou's overhand technique...

and sent the rock flying BACKWARDS, into the wooden fence behind me.  

Unfazed, I proceded to load another rock, more carefully, and threw as hard as I could.

The firing range was about four hundred yards long, but only one to one hundred and fifty wide.  With horror I watched at the stone, about the size of a duck egg, flew up, up, and to the right.

Directly in its path lay our neighbors house, which was completely surrounded by 6-8 cars with VERY breakable windshields, numerous VERY breakable windows, and a few unsuspecting humans with VERY vulnerable heads.  I cringed as the rock became a speck and dissapeared, somewhere above the house that sat, waiting, one hundred fifty yards away.

I cringed, squinted, waited with dread for the tinkling sound of breaking glass, the crash of a stone breaking through a roof, the shout of anger, and...

there was silence.  No one screamed in agony, no car alarm blared, there was just... silence.  Somehow, someway, my rock had landed in the tiny square of empty lawn on the other side of the house, where there were no windows, no people, no breakables.

My friend chuckled, unaware of the near catastrophe he had just witnessed.  I gathered my slings and walked, trembling and gasping, back into my house.  My creation was soon destroyed, and with it the threat to our civilization.
« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2004 at 6:41pm by Chris »  
solobo88  
IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Re: A near-death-experience
Reply #1 - Aug 29th, 2004 at 5:55pm

Yeah stuff like that happens. The first time i used my long sling (40 inches) almost destroyed a windshield. I don't know if i would have destroyed the sling but maybe used it in very suclued place.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Justin Ball

Reply #2 - Aug 30th, 2004 at 3:22am

A seagull had a very near death experience this weekend! Inches, bare inches!
Justin

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #3 - Aug 30th, 2004 at 4:04am

I had a similar experince many years ago I was under a interstate brigde that ran bay the saint johns river.
I was having a great time hurling out into the river using a coot at about a hundred yards as a target
I took a about one pound beautifuly round stone hurled it . This awsome stone went up curved backwards and came down on the interstate  it was rush hour!!! thank God no sound of shattering glass. Or screaching tires. just a very loud sound of the little boulder thunking on top of the bridge.
I packed  the sling in a pockect  and got the hell out of dodge
« Last Edit: May 8th, 2006 at 3:01pm by lobohunter »  
Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Aug 30th, 2004 at 5:00am

I have been at the beach, slinging as hard as I can, and I have been about a foot from hitting a boat a few times.  A wooden fishing boat - the stone would probably severely crack one of the timbers, at least.

IP Logged

solobo

Reno, NV, USA
Reply #5 - Aug 30th, 2004 at 10:18am

I can see it in the headlines:

League of slingsters terrorizes nation! 

Windshields shattered,
seagulls pulverized,
boats sunk,
windows broken! 
Wink

solobo88  
IP Logged

Justin Ball

Reply #6 - Aug 30th, 2004 at 11:03am

One pound rock onto the motor way? Car travelling at 60? Combined speed? How about DRIVER'S HEAD TURNED TO PULP- LIKE A WATERMELON DROPPED ON A HOT SIDEWALK- CAR SWERVES OFF INTO ONCOMING TRAFFIC- 12 CAR PILE UP. NATION WIDE POLICE SEARCH- ALL FORMS OF STRING BANNED!!

Paranoid yet?

Justin

Sorry, I realize you probably wet yourself when the rock went over the road...glad you can look back on it as a good lesson.
Cheers

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #7 - Aug 31st, 2004 at 6:45pm

With slinging comes great responsibility.  You've got to make extra sure your firing area is safe!!  Freeways and populated areas aren't ideal. 

There a good sling safety article:
http://www.slinging.org/28.html

Be safe,
Chris

IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like
cannon balls."Vari, M.Twain

Davis, Ca
Reply #8 - May 8th, 2006 at 8:57pm

LOL, I know i shouldn't be laughing, but it's actually very funny.

Great stories. I'm glad no one got hurt, so am able to laugh

-Unsapien

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #9 - May 11th, 2006 at 10:00am

I love any story that starts off with a dark and stormy night! Grin

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #10 - May 12th, 2006 at 10:35pm

Quote:
Well, maybe not exactly near death, but pretty close.  It all started on a windy night, with a full moon shining through the dark clouds...

I finally brought it to life.  There he lay before me, long, deadly, dangerous.  The biggest sling I'd ever used, fully five feet long when loaded, able, (I hoped) to sling baseball-sized rocks hundreds of yards with ease.

Darkness fell, and I had time for only a few test throws before it was time to turn in.

The next day, my friend Andrew came to my house, and full of the foolishness of youth, I dragged him out to the back yard for a demonstration.

I began by hurriedly explaining the AWESOME POWER of the sling, while carelessly loading my weapon with a small stone.  I whirled, using njwimanitou's overhand technique...

Unfazed, I proceded to load another rock, more carefully, and threw as hard as I could.

The firing range was about four hundred yards long, but only one to one hundred and fifty wide.  With horror I watched at the stone, about the size of a duck egg, flew up, up, and to the right.

Directly in its path lay our neighbors house, which was completely surrounded by 6-8 cars with VERY breakable windshields, numerous VERY breakable windows, and a few unsuspecting humans with VERY vulnerable heads.  I cringed as the rock became a speck and dissapeared, somewhere above the house that sat, waiting, one hundred fifty yards away.

I cringed, squinted, waited with dread for the tinkling sound of breaking glass, the crash of a stone breaking through a roof, the shout of anger, and...

there was silence.  No one screamed in agony, no car alarm blared, there was just... silence.  Somehow, someway, my rock had landed in the tiny square of empty lawn on the other side of the house, where there were no windows, no people, no breakables.

My friend chuckled, unaware of the near catastrophe he had just witnessed.  I gathered my slings and walked, trembling and gasping, back into my house.  My creation was soon destroyed, and with it the threat to our civilization.

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #11 - May 12th, 2006 at 10:39pm

Bleep Bleepin !@#$ing Computer

Ok what i was trying to say was
Most of us probably have stories like this one
All I'm going to say is me and my sling are not going to a certain city to my south again Smiley

Whistling
"Sling!.....What Sling??!! I know nothing about no sling!
Now if you gentleman will excuse me I gotta go to the loo Smiley"

I try to sling (now) where there isn't anybody around

Marc Adkins
Check out the cold and stormy day post

Quote:

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

drum_slinger

Armed with a heart of
steel.

Reply #12 - May 14th, 2006 at 3:28pm

I once was slinging against a brick wall with wood planks over the windows, so I was safe. Then three things happened.  Shocked
1st: I was slinging my tennis ball and tried to catch the ball after it bounced off the wall.   Lips Sealed oooooowwwwwww, that was some serious brushburn

2nd: After losing my bouncy tennisball in the bushes      Undecided , I used those hard nut things, which i found out are called monkey brains, to give my overhead style it's first try. I released a little too late and it flew, fast and hard far to the left, smashing into the tin house siding barely inches from her backdoor window. WWWHHHHEEEEEWWWWW

3rd, but not last funny story I have: I tried last that day, a small rock, slightly larger than an acorn. I underhand whirled it and released. A wonderful Flight, followed by a SMACK!!!! I looked at the second story plywood boarded window and there it was. A crack going down the center of the wood, top to bottom. And there, lodged firmly in the middle, was my rock.  Shocked Shocked Shocked. To this day, that rock remains, reminding me.

All this happened in the space of an hour on the first day out with the sling I got from Chris. needless to say I dont use rocks anymore, Use overhead style, or try and catch my ammo anymore.  Grin Grin Grin Grin

Funditor et celsus.&&&&Cape Hoc!!
Zyahtiger@aol.com  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris, vetryan15)