Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Congratulations (Read 3213 times)
friebejr

Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Congratulations
Aug 23rd, 2004 at 11:49pm

Smiley Smiley SmileyI really belive we must criticize a lot of things, in order to make them better; but I also believe that we shall congratulate people who do things  very well - things we don't need to criticize as they are almost perfect -  people who devote their time, earning NO money, promoting things they like. And today I would like to congratulate Chris, Matthias, David_T, JeffH, mgeenfield, Johnny, Ulrica, Vicente,  everybody - I can't obviously remember all the members names - for this wonderful web page devoted to slinging.
I've been researching - and sometimes practising - traditional sports/games for almost ten years, and I can assure that few of them have a web page like this one here. And this kind of work is priceless, it is a treasure we must take care of. Slinging is REALLY a genuine traditional game/sport, as it has a lot of cultural heritage involved on it:  history, archaeology, human culture in general.
Congratulations to all of you, specially for Chris and the moderators for this NICE work. And thank you very much for allowing me to be part of it! Wink

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Re: Congratulations
Reply #1 - Aug 24th, 2004 at 8:07am

Thanks Friebejr!
I work with a nice sweet lady from Brazil.
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #2 - Aug 24th, 2004 at 8:33am

Well spoken, and for sure our thanks overdue to Chris & moderators who make it happen & keep it on track; and who in 20, 50, 100 years may be seen as THE ones who made sports history back in 2004.   mgreenfield

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #3 - Aug 24th, 2004 at 11:19am

Ditto from me!  Thanks Chris, all the moderators, everybody who posts.  This is the first 'board' I've ever really looked at.  Since I signed up, I've gone to a couple of others devoted to other interests of mine.  I have to say, the level of discussion here is far and away better than any of the other boards I've seen.  We've got no swearing, no trolling, few personal arguments, nobody using the board as their own personal soapbox...  Just thoughtful and intelligent discourse about the topic at hand.  Outstanding job!

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #4 - Aug 24th, 2004 at 11:47am

I would not be where i am with a sling without this website and forum. Thanks.  Cheesy Cheesy

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

WalkingBird
Descens

Slinger of stones

Reply #5 - Aug 24th, 2004 at 6:01pm

To that add my congrats also. I lerk at some other forums, but this is the only one I post to regularly. I've learned alot about slinging here, and have enjoyed being a member. My thanks to Chris and the moderators.

WalkingBird

IP Logged

Texassoroban
Novicius

Reply #6 - Aug 24th, 2004 at 10:07pm

Ditto to what you all say, I surf the web for just about anything that crosses my ADD mind and when I came to this site it took me back in time 28 years and then 2,800 years and I thank you for that.  As a testament to how effective this site is    I'll be constructing my first sling in a few days...well maybe a week....cause I just can't quit thinking about slings....weird...

With the olympics being on I now find it strange that there is not an event for slinging, or even several. You could have accuracy at 10, 25, and 50 m kind of like the rifle and bow events and then you could sling for distance like the javelin, shotput and discus.  You could also have a composite event based on accuracy at a distance, it could be structured kind of like the way they do weight lifting and the heptafa....heptatha...hep...aw hell...track and field...  Pick your distance the target is a meter square.  you get three shots the person who can hit the target at the greatest distance is the winner.  That would be cool!   Does anyone know of any slinging competitions going on?

Great site guys...I think it will eventually make history, if it hasn't already.

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #7 - Aug 24th, 2004 at 11:18pm

Have you checked out the post with pictures of the competion this past Saturday in the Balaeric Islands?

IP Logged

moss
Tiro

Reply #8 - Aug 25th, 2004 at 2:52am

I fear without this site, I may have been secretly sneaking out of my house to sling cow dung with a stolen bra from my girlfriend, in order to hunt and hit imaginary wildlife. Trying to explain that situation may have been difficult.

Instead I have a few cool slings of different sizes and styles and go out slinging at least two times a week, on my own and with friends. My knowledge of the sling and slinging has improved and done so at a much faster rate. Also my girlfriend has become quite competitive with her sling and is looking to make more types herself.

I would like to add my thanks to everyone for their helpful comments and suggestions, and for the hard work keeping the site so well organised and accessible. All of your hard work has helped with all aspects of my slinging and kept me away from the dung and awkward explanations. Thank you   Grin

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #9 - Aug 25th, 2004 at 11:18am

Bras, huh?  Hmmm...  You could sling two rocks at once! Wink

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Aug 25th, 2004 at 12:03pm

You could use the cups as pouches on their own, with some string or something as the cords.  You could have a special occasion sling, black lace, that kind of thing.  lol

IP Logged

Texassoroban
Novicius

Reply #11 - Aug 25th, 2004 at 10:10pm

My wife has a bra that latches in the front...It would be cool if you could rig up a way to spill the cups without having to let go of the straps...kind of like opeing bomb bay doors....heh hehe...this is sick.

IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #12 - Sep 1st, 2004 at 1:36pm

Hee...
never thought about use my bra as a sling Smiley

Anyway, thank you for remember me in those greetings in the beginning of this thread.
I really like this site, but in the last time I had not enough time at my work.. sometimes I really have to work too Wink
And my computer at home broke down some weeks ago and ia since then on service. I hope I soon will get it back.
Today I began a new working place ( Fortum), and I got a very nice laptop from my new work so I can finally read the posts here again.

Keep up a good work Chris and all you other nice people here.

Here in sweden the autumn now so slowly comes over us so here comes some autumngreetings!

Take care.

/Ulrica

May the stones go your way&&&&//Ulrica
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Morphy, Kick, vetryan15, Chris)