Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tapered Release Cords w NO Knots?? (Read 2826 times)
mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Tapered Release Cords w NO Knots??
Aug 23rd, 2004 at 5:43pm

I note in Vicente's 'Sling Contest Pictures' AND in Zorro's '3 Strand Braid Sling', that the release cords appear to be carefully tapered AND have no grip knots.

In constructing his '3 Strand Braid Sling', Zorro does much extra work to taper even that simple sling.

So, what performance improvements (if any?) are provided when a tapered no-knot release cord is used??

I think most of us NorthAmerican guys use straight cords with knots.   Maybe we're missing something important.

Any answers or suggestions??   mgreenfield

IP Logged

solobo

Reno, NV, USA
Re: Tapered Release Cords w NO Knots??
Reply #1 - Aug 24th, 2004 at 10:09am

My cranium has been considering the same question.  I use the straight cord with knot also.  What's the secret?

solobo88  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Aug 24th, 2004 at 10:14am

Perhaps it is for the whipcrack effect.  After all, whips taper, and end in a tassel.  Or maybe it is just that way because they have always done it that way.  Tradition is like that.

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #3 - Aug 24th, 2004 at 11:11am

A tassle does make a nice popping sound.  How do you keep the braid from coming undone, though?  I whip the end and then rub glue into the whipping, but somehow I doubt that's what they do in the Balaeric islands.

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #4 - Aug 24th, 2004 at 12:46pm

Maybe a cross between the "whip effect" and the construction method? Lots of fibre slings show a taper to the release cord in particular, though sometimes both. If you want and integral retention loop (which is elegant design-wise as you only have one set of "ends" to work with) you are pretty much forced into having the retention cord full thickness, and you need a certain number of strands to do the pouchwork. Once you lock in the pouch strands on the way down the release end, you are carrying more bulk than is required to take the strain. Dropping strands is a simple way to "finish" the cord and add some taper. Tassles are a really easy and effective way to deal with the bunch of loose ends. I've been using a knot (diamond - like a turks head woven from the body strands) to "lock" the end and provide a little extra grip, then unravelling the ends.

My first slings used flat leather strips for cords. No knots, no loops. Never had any trouble with the cords slipping with them either. I think knotted release cords and lack of taper may be side effects of using modern (slippery) pre-braided materials (paracord etc). Evolution of design can be driven by lots of factors other than performance!

Matthias

IP Logged

Thomas
Ex Member

Rocks?

Reply #5 - Aug 24th, 2004 at 2:52pm

Might be short slings are more sensitive to interference from knots and gripping devices.
My 54” – 68” slings seem to be immune, even with 1 inch wood ball as a release grip.  One obvious advantage of thick, short woven slings is you can easily control orientation.

Thomas   

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #6 - Aug 24th, 2004 at 8:35pm

Matthias's thought of reducing the unneeded bulk makes sense. Also, the taper may allow for a faster movement of the release cord after it is released? I know that when I occationally have a bad release, the stone snags on the knot and has even ripped a few knots off. The knotless end may help reduce damage in those rare events.

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #7 - Aug 25th, 2004 at 11:26am

The other day, I went slinging with my black & red sling.  After about two hours, I noticed the release cord had lost its whipping.  The tassle had come unraveled about an inch.  I tied a knot in the end to keep it from coming undone any further.  I noticed an immediate, drastic decrease in both accuracy and distance.  Maybe it just changed the sling enough that I wasn't used to it any more, but I have to wonder if maybe the smoother no-knot design allows for smoother releases, at least for thicker, braided cords.  Of course, my sling's got no taper to it...

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #8 - Aug 25th, 2004 at 3:50pm

Could a person have a weighted release cord to help release faster or is it the other way around with a non-weighted release cord that is faster?

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #9 - Aug 25th, 2004 at 4:35pm

I'd say non-weighted, and the lighter the better as long as other requirements were met, ...whatever these might be.

You want the mass of the pouch and release cord to have little effect on the mass of the stone when there is incidental contact.   One way to do this is minimize the mass of the pouch and cord.

Make sense to me.    mgreenfield

IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #10 - Sep 1st, 2004 at 3:30pm

Quote:
So, what performance improvements (if any?) are provided when a tapered no-knot release cord is used??

I think most of us NorthAmerican guys use straight cords with knots.   Maybe we're missing something important.

Any answers or suggestions??   mgreenfield

I really don't know,  i think release is smoother and thus accuracy is increased, my 1st slings (when i was a kid) had knots but i soon got ride of them, now i can't  stand a knot in the release cord.
Bear in mind  grip of the release cord  is made with the whole hand , not only with  two fingers, so you can really hold it firmly and release it smoothly.
it gives me a better feeling of when to release... or may be i just got used to it?
Anyway old designs have been tested for ages and i think if ancient people  used it this way may be it's because it's better.

Never disturb your enemy when it's making a mistake (Napoleon Bonaparte)

IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #11 - Sep 1st, 2004 at 3:39pm

Quote:
A tassle does make a nice popping sound.  How do you keep the braid from coming undone, though?  I whip the end and then rub glue into the whipping, but somehow I doubt that's what they do in the Balaeric islands.

Hobb, i just sew it  the way is shown , i make several knots while sewing so if thread gets broken at any point , it still working from the next knot.
this stand a lot of abuse, anyway if you see this thread is breaking or wearing too much, you can sew it  again and again over the worn thread zone.

Never disturb your enemy when it's making a mistake (Napoleon Bonaparte)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Kick, Chris, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker)