My new sling (Read 4850 times)
Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
My new sling
Aug 13th, 2004 at 2:46pm

My new sling is longer than the one i've been using for the last two years 112 cms (45") vs 71cms (28,5")i find it a bit too long but still comfort to handle

this is another pic showing the split pouch

Retention cord is made to hold it with 3 fingers, cause i can throw bigger rocks with it, see how's the grip

Never disturb your enemy when it's making a mistake (Napoleon Bonaparte)

IP Logged

nwmanitou

Utah, USA
Re: My new sling
Reply #1 - Aug 13th, 2004 at 4:08pm

wow, that is quite a sling there. The cords are remarkably thick. One a side note, you could always uses it as a tow rope if your vehicle gets stuck while scouting for a good spot to sling  Grin

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #2 - Aug 13th, 2004 at 4:40pm

I suspect Vincente has seen a few like this....in his day Wink

Exotic fibers are becoming so strong for their weight that we may soon be able to sling projectiles nearly invisibly.....which makes possible all manner of amazing sling designs.   Like the ergonomic sling handle whose cords retract within and with ammo loaded and butted snug against the mouth of the handle ready for quick action!  Nw,  can you imagine having one in your shirt pocket or attatched to web gear on the chest so that one may pull the ammo outward and into an overhand cast in a smooth high speed motion?..... 8)

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #3 - Aug 13th, 2004 at 4:46pm

Monster sling, dude. 8)  What's it made out of?  How do you secure the ends?  I find a basic whipping comes unraveled after a while.

IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #4 - Aug 14th, 2004 at 4:08am

Hobb  i use 5 mm nylon cord, it's made of a core of nylon fibers and an external layer of braided  nylon , pretty much like climbing cords, (we use this cord to hang hogs at the slaughterhouse, and they stand up to 300 pounds)
I just use 3 of this cords (about 6 yards each) starting to braid from the middle, 1st i braid the finger/s ring with 3 strand braid, then i join the 3 strands of each side to close the finger/s ring and start braiding the retention cord (3 couples (6 cords) strand braiding)
once i get the desired lenght  of retention cord i separate 3 cords each side and start to braid 2 separate 3 strand (single cord) braid for the split pouch.
once i get the desired lenght of pouch i join again the 6 cords and start  to braid the  release cord (3 strand braidof 3 couples of cord )
When i'm getting the desired lenghth i trim one of the central couple of cords, i burn (melt) the cut zone so fibers don't desinteger and  i sew it to it's fellow with a  strong thread  i con tinue braiding 3 strand ( now  there is only 5 cords, two couples and one single ) and after i've braided about 10 cms i trim again one of the central couple of cords... again burn the cut zone and sew it to it's fellow... then continue braiding (now there are only 4 cords one  couple and 2 singles) continue braiding for another 10 cms or so and trim again one of the last couple strands when it's in the center of the braid,...  again burn the cut and sew it to it's couple... and continue braiding 3 single strand braid for another 10 cms or so, then sew this 3 strands together and  desinteger some of the fibers to make the end fluffy tail (this will make a CRACK! sound when slinging, like a whip.
And that's all... i'm planning to post some pics step by step so anybody can make his/her own sling... it's easy and quick to make Smiley

^ Here you can see the whip-like end of the releasing cord,  note the 3 central stiches where the central couple strands have been trimmed one of its cords, and the final  sewing and around tie before the fluffy end.

^  Here you can see how the split  pouch is made... 3 strand braid of 6 cords (3 couples)  is separated into 2 braids of 3 single cord each, and then join together again when the split pouch is done.
This is the traditional way slings are done here (shepards used natural fibers, mainly pita (agave americana) or any other strong enough at hand hemp, linen etc...) remember... as long as it has a pouch and a retention and release cords it's a sling Smiley

IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #5 - Aug 14th, 2004 at 4:24am

Quote:
One a side note, you could always uses it as a tow rope if your vehicle gets stuck while scouting for a good spot to sling  Grin

LOL that's for sure, i used mine as a dog lash (german shepard) and to tie and carry loads of camp fire wood and sure it can tow a car (we use sigle cord to hang hogs at the slaughterhouse and some of them weights over 300 pounds and more)trustly i can use the sling even for climbing  in a dificult pass.

IP Logged

moss
Tiro

Reply #6 - Aug 14th, 2004 at 4:30am

I must say I'm very impressed with your clean braiding and the modification of the retention chord.

I have made a similar sling (not as tight though) which I take cross country running. I have tried to modify the release chord with an extension of knots passed through the finger loop, which I use to secure my running gear on my back and tied at the front. The sling acts as part of my running pack but is released at the front when I want to sling.
I do attempt to run and sling at the same time but I'm sure you can guess what my aim is like.

Anyway, nice sling Zorrro

IP Logged

Vicente
Descens

Judge referee of the FBTF

Palma de Mallorca, Balearic Is
Reply #7 - Aug 14th, 2004 at 5:22am

Hello Zorro,

This sling model is the one that they use the slingers that I know here in Balearic. 

As for the form of catching the sling, here I see that for the retention they hold it alone with the index finger, I suppose that it should be because here they are practiced the launching to aim.

Greetings,
Vicente

Quote:
My new sling is longer than the one i've been using for the last two years 112 cms (45") vs 71cms (28,5")i find it a bit too long but still comfort to handle

Greetings,&&Vicente

IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #8 - Aug 14th, 2004 at 5:46am

True Vicente, i have seen  shepards here in  Andalucia at Sierranevada Range the same model Made of pita but a lot shorter, may be 30 to 40 cms... finger ring was for index, and they were by far a lot more accurate than me, and similar or even longer range than  me despite my sling was 3 times larger than theirs... Shocked I copied the whip-like and fluffy end they had cause i find  nice the sound it makes Smiley very useful for scarying out wild bulls/cows or uncontrolled dogs... if i can't  hit them, or close enough, at least i can scary them with the shot-like sound Grin
I've made retention finger ring for 1,2,3 and 4 (full hand) fingers, and even a wrist ring, (once upon a time i liked to sling biiig rocks Smiley )and all were comfort to use  i think just a mater of what you get used to.

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #9 - Aug 14th, 2004 at 1:54pm

I guess my suspicions were proven correct,  as asserted by Vincente.   This obviously explains much regarding his incredulity at the distances achieved by non-Balearic slingers.  Not that this sling design is in any way deficient.  I am sure one can obtain great accuracy and short to mid range distance with this design.   But as for distance,  the stretch and wind resistance would be formidable.

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

WildAtHeart
Descens

woo hoo

Atlanta GA
Reply #10 - Aug 14th, 2004 at 8:50pm

That is a beautiful sling. Seeing as how my sling just bit the dust, I may have to braid myself one of those.

I had never considered a 3 or more finger retention loop, or even a release cord that is held by the whole hand! I always just pinched it with my thumb and index finger knuckle. Those are great pics by the way.

WWW wormscout13  
IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #11 - Aug 15th, 2004 at 3:39am

Thanks WildAtHeart 
Try to braid one of those, they're cheap, easy and quick to make, and it will last for long.
Because it's very easy and quick to make, you can experiment with different lenghts and finger/s rings till you get the one wich suits your preferences. and have spare slings all over your gear  Grin
I'm planning to make a short one (sightly longer than 1 foot) just to see if accuracy at short ranges is increased, and i'll make pic's of it's construction step by step so anyone can make his/her own Smiley If anyone can braid 3 strand braid, then can make this kind of sling  in a few minutes (the most time consumming is the fluffy tail  lol  i hate to disgregate fibers cause they entangle and it's a bit boring just at the end of the handctaft but i guess it's just the cord i use, too difficult to unbraid the external layer made of lot of threads.

IP Logged

WildAtHeart
Descens

woo hoo

Atlanta GA
Reply #12 - Aug 16th, 2004 at 9:02am

Yeah I just made one last night out of some cotton cord. It's pretty heavy duty! I have actuallly never used a split pocket like that, so in a bit here I'm gonna go in the backyard and give it a try.

Also, I had to ration my cord since I didnt have a whole lot, but the sling still ended up being the length of my palm to the middle of my bicep. I'm used to a sling 6 inches longer, so we'll see how it goes.

Thanks again for showing us this cool design.

WWW wormscout13  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Aug 20th, 2004 at 3:57pm

I don't think I'd be able to get used to holding the retention cord with the whole hand.  That would feel weird.  I like that sling design, I used to use it all the time for quickly made slings.  I hardly make slings anymore, I have quite a few.  I made a few woven slings, and they are probably my favourites.  I use them quite often.  But mostly I have been doing other things.  I do a lot of archery now, ever since I found out that cat-tail stalks make great flight arrow shafts.

IP Logged

solobo

Reno, NV, USA
Reply #14 - Aug 20th, 2004 at 4:54pm

Hey Zorro, what size rocks do you use with that thing?

solobo88  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Morphy)