Send Topic Print
can you help me? (Read 1899 times)
Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
can you help me?
Aug 8th, 2004 at 7:56am

I made a staff sling and it is currently my new favorite weapon. But i have a problem with it. It is slinging rocks nowhere near the range people say im supposed to get.

im getting around 20 feet or so and from the sites i looked at on how to build the staff sling i should be getting at the very least 100 feet.

so i went and messed around with the lenghts of the cord and made them smaller and that helped a little. So i say its still relesing way too late and i sand it down to as smooth as i could get it to go. I even went and waxed it it is very smooth now and that helped with the reless time.

but it still was not getting a verry good range. But i think i know why now. When i looked at the sites they say to use a broom handel but i am douglas my moto is bigger is always better and i used my broken boar spear shaft. This shaft is maybe 2,3 or maybe even 4 times the thickness of a broom handel.

When i made this i wanted a staff, a staff sling, and a handy walking stick. It makes a ok staff but i dont like to use the tip that i spent so much time sanding and waxing to hit things with so its a one sided staff. It makes a great walking stick and a ok staff sling. so maybe the site's had a point when they said use a boom handel....

well thanks for reading this far

douglas

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Re: can you help me?
Reply #1 - Aug 12th, 2004 at 5:33am

There could be many things wrong with it.  Here's a little list of everything I can think of:
1. The loop of the release cord is too small, so it's not rounding the end easily; late release ensues.
2. The loop or hook or whatever is placed to far down the shaft, so that the knot can again not round the end.
3. The rocks you use aren't big enough, so not enough weight is in the pouch to cause it to round the end.
4. You made the cords too short - longer cords would be a little better, perhaps.  Experiment with lengths.
  I can say with conviction that if you have a big enough loop, then the diameter of the staff won't matter; think of a trebuchet, which after all is a great big staff sling.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #2 - Aug 12th, 2004 at 6:50am

Thanks for helping I'll tell you what i  have tryed so far:

I have played with the cord and it seems i get the best shot from a cord around 30" long.

My shot is a cobbler stone and there pretty big and heavy but im making lead molds for to make shots and ill try that.

there is no real hook on my staff sling. its hard to explain how i did it but here i go. First i took the broken spear shaft and gave it a point with a machety, Then i made the top part flat with a shallow grove near the tip for the cord to rest in. Then i got out the sand paper and smothed it out then waxed it. so it may have a flaw in the shaft rathere then in the sling or shot i dont know.

and it may be that the release cord is too small so ill fix it.

and while im at it is anyone here good with knot's? I need a loope for the cord and i dont know any but the slip knot. every time i fire i have to readjust it.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Aug 12th, 2004 at 11:15am

The slipknot?  There you go, that's your problem.  It won't release because it is tightening on the shaft.  I'd go for a bowline, or something non-slip like that; check around on some knot websites.  Once you know it, it's very simple to do.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini)