Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Three Balearic Slings (Read 1317 times)
mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Three Balearic Slings
Aug 6th, 2004 at 9:14am

Ancient Balearics may have carried several slings for the same reason modern golfers carry several clubs.   Golf clubs with different numbers handle a golf ball very differently.  Slings with different lengths (used correctly) may handle stones very differently.

I'm having some decent results with a short fingertip-to-elbow sling.   But the more I use it, the more different it feels from my longer 33inch slings.

Hondero/Vicente/Other, can you tell us the length specifications of the  2 longer slings the ancient Balaerics carried??    Using and comparing slings in these 3 specific lengths may teach us a lot about the sport.

mgreenfield

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Re: Three Balearic Slings
Reply #1 - Aug 6th, 2004 at 4:26pm

Mg, there are not precise data in Latin text: the Balearics slings are only refered like short, medium and long. In my guess the short could be about 20", the medium about 30" and the long about 40" or a little more, but who knows... When we advance on the physics of the sling maybe we can clarify with exactitude the advantages and the ranges of each one  Smiley.

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #2 - Aug 8th, 2004 at 8:58am

Thanks, Hondero.   Someplace I saw the length of the short sling specified as equal to the distance between a person's middle-finger and elbow.    For me 18.5", and close to the 20" you mention.   I was hoping there were similar specifications for the other two slings.    

Are there any hints?  The long sling was worn wrapped around the waist.   Two turns around my waist, plus 12" extra to make the tie, would be 78" total length for me.  Half of this is 39", and close to the 40" you mention.

If I split the difference, I end up at 29", which is near the 30" medium-length you mention.

Did chubby slingers automatically use longer slings?  Grin

mgreenfield

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #3 - Aug 8th, 2004 at 12:06pm

Yes, that is the traditional rule for the short sling: from the fingertip to the elbow. For my arm that is also 18.5". The measures of 20, 30 and 40" are an average approach to remember easily, but each slinger have to measure the slings in relation to the spread of his arms (to avoid erroneous measurments from chubby guys  Grin) . For the medium one the distance would be from the fingertip to the shoulder, that in my case is 29,3", and for the long sling would be from the fingertip to the opposed shoulder, that in my case is 43". Well, I´m sure there are others slightly different rules  Wink and it would be interesting to know them to extend our knowledge on traditions. If somebody knows them, please tell us.

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #4 - Aug 8th, 2004 at 4:14pm

OK!   Thanks, Hondero!   What I have here is a short sling and a medium sling.   I need to make and master a long sling to be the proper fully equipped slingster. 

It is interesting that you and I will use short, medium and long slings of almost exactly the same sizes.   I guess if your shirt collar is 15,5", you and I would wear the same shirt size, too.   Grin

mgreenfield

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Chris)