Publishing ? (Read 4251 times)
Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Publishing ?
Aug 5th, 2004 at 4:06pm

I don't know if this question is "jumping the gun" ,but I though that I would mention this since I would like to get a copy of this book someday. Does anyone have any idea about publishing the book? It would be a shame if everyone did all this work and then couldn't get it published. ???  Also, I would like to help with this project in any way that I could , but I don't know of any acrtices or chapters that would best sute me. Any suggestions? Wink

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Re: Publishing ?
Reply #1 - Aug 5th, 2004 at 11:22pm

Generally, you need to develop considerable portions of a book before approaching a publisher.  They'll only commit ahead of time if you're a big author like Michael Creighton. I fully intend to pursue this to the end, and get it published.  If it a serious piece of work, which is should be, one of the college presses would likely pick it up (Yale University press, etc.) 

Chris

IP Logged

Dan_Bollinger
Descens

Have Sling, Will Travel

West Lafayette, Indiana, USA
Reply #2 - Sep 13th, 2004 at 7:23pm

A good way to deal with this project is to look at self-publishing by using the 'print on demand' services now available. The cost is nil. If the result is high quality and interesting, a print publisher may want to take this on later.

The original print on demand is http://www.iuniverse.com/

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #3 - Oct 8th, 2004 at 9:54am

I have A feeling this post is going to make chris cringe
You know now that we know that Cliff savage has passed away. Loompanics is always a option for publishing in fact I have a mild working relationship with the editor. I am almost certain she would be excited about this project.

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

anon

Reply #4 - Dec 10th, 2004 at 9:41pm

I used to work for iUniverse.  Don't go with self publishing... try to get it published with a real publishing house.

IP Logged

drum_slinger

Armed with a heart of
steel.

Reply #5 - Oct 5th, 2005 at 9:26am

when you publish the book you need to make it available here. Tons of us members would buy it.

Funditor et celsus.&&&&Cape Hoc!!
Zyahtiger@aol.com  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Oct 11th, 2005 at 12:32pm

A downaloadable pdf, or indexed html file so I can carry on my organiser would be favourite.
And I'll buy a hard copy one too :-)
But these days I do most of my reading on my good old zaurus.
As long as payment is by anything EXCEPT paypal, no worries :-)
I trust paypal about as far as I can dropkick a pregnant elephant :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #7 - Oct 12th, 2005 at 5:27pm

how can you read a book off of a computer? it hurts my eyes to look at this thing for longer then a hour Smiley

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #8 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 5:31am

Train  Grin

Use the right program at the right size and the right distance. And the right letter.

I often use a 'notebook' set the kind of letters to that I like best and the size big. Then I lean forward or backward till it seems right, and change the lettersize after that. (It changes depending on the time of day and the light.)

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark)