Ow my arm! (Read 4184 times)
WildAtHeart
Descens

woo hoo

Atlanta GA
Ow my arm!
Aug 4th, 2004 at 11:39am

Hey guys,

I've posted somewhere before that I have just started experimenting with David T's stlye that he shows in the first of his video. Wow, what a difference! I can feel probably 50% more velocity when I release the rock, though my aim is rather impaired. I will need to practice alot more to get this throw down.

But after about 50 throws, my arm and whatever that muscle is under your armpit and sort of on your ribs was hurting like crazy! Is that supposed to happen?

WWW wormscout13  
IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Re: Ow my arm!
Reply #1 - Aug 4th, 2004 at 12:20pm

My dad was a horse-doctor, so we know all about medical stuff!! Grin    The motion of that overhand is a little odd, so would expect soreness until you get used to it.   Muscle soreness probably OK.    

This throwing style also could be tough on rotator cuffs.   You feel dull pain closer to the point of the shoulder & "in the joint".  This soreness is NOT ok & can lead to permanent reduced flexibility in the joint, physical therapy, even surgery.   Voice of experience speaking here.

mgreenfield

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #2 - Aug 4th, 2004 at 8:55pm

Take it slow! Any time you use new muscles they will hurt if you over do it. Let them heal up before pushimg them again. Building muscle, I have been told, is actually a process of controlably injuring them and allowing them to replace and strengthen in the repair process. If you are consistant, the body realizes that it needs to "beef itself up" since you keep on stressing those same muscles. Those muscles then build up to handle the stress-- then you stress them more--and you get stronger and stronger.

Then throw in age and the process can take a lot more time!! Grin

IP Logged

viking_slinger
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Aug 5th, 2004 at 3:10am

Also, warming up makes a lot of difference.
I remember when I was younger I used to throw a lot of stones every time I went to the beach. After a short time my shoulder and arm would hurt like crazy.
Then later as I was enlisted and we had hand-grenade training we always warmed up our shoulders first - I didn't experience any pain then, even though we threw a lot of dummy grenades.

IP Logged

WildAtHeart
Descens

woo hoo

Atlanta GA
Reply #4 - Aug 5th, 2004 at 6:55am

Okay, thanks guys for the tips. Fortunately I don't think I have any of that dull pain in my joint, just the regular type all over my shoulder. I suppose I should take it easy. But it's just so much fun!  Grin

WWW wormscout13  
IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #5 - Aug 5th, 2004 at 7:31pm

I was using my short sling and using a lot ot force to sling. I over did it and hurt my elbow, I think--its been a while back-- anyway, I just couldn't stop slinging so I used my long sling and found that I was able to sling bigger stones and at a further distance without using as much force and having my arm hurt more. There is always a way Grin

IP Logged

WildAtHeart
Descens

woo hoo

Atlanta GA
Reply #6 - Aug 5th, 2004 at 10:22pm

Yeah I heard somewhere that the best length for a sling is the distance from your hand to your heart with your arm outstretched. That seems to be the case for me.

David - can you give me some tips on that Greek throwing style? It's very new to me, and, though I don't have problems getting plenty of power, I'm having trouble with my accuracy.

WWW wormscout13  
IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #7 - Aug 6th, 2004 at 10:10pm

Hey there wildman

You and me both! I wish I had a lot more --  accuracy that is.

First of all I must say I slung my first stone one year ago this month so I am no expert. I did however get hooked on slinging and have done a lot since then.

First of all, after about 3 months I made a 25" sling and it instantly improved my accuracy by at least 25%. I remember being thrilled like a kid with a new bike.

I still prefer the style shown in the first video--no rotations. My humble opinion is--the less motion the easier it is to control everything. Plus, I want to get good enough to hunt with the sling and therefore #1 is the best syle for not alerting the game and the best for making a quick shot.

I have noticed that through the months I have thought that I discovered a big secret by changing something only to find that it didn't last or pan out.

But, I have learned some things that truely  have helped my accuracy and I will try to explain them.

1. As in the #1 video, I start the momentum by moving the pouch to the right and then swing and kind of toss the pouch with the stone  horizontally back to the left. At this point I would have the natural tendancy to start moving my throwing arm---But ---try to hold your throwing hand still for a second as the pouch swings around and as you sense that it is behind your head, then start an over the top throwing motion with your throwing arm.   What this slight hesitation did was help keep me from swinging my right arm (throwing arm) out and around to the right rather than over the top of my head.

The result of this was that my release became more verticle instead of right to left and my shots became more straight ahead rather than right to left.

2. I just mentioned this point in another post. As I release the stone at the snap I think: "Grab the target with my throwing hand." This makes me reach out at the target with my follow through instead of coming across the target from right to left.

I know some people like a more side-arm throw so this would not help that style but for me, I get more control and consistancy with a more verticle method. Hondero promotes this concept too I believe and he is more experienced then I.

3. Focus on the target. It sound simple but I often do not focus hard enough on the target. I also try to visualize where the pouch is and when I sense that the pouch, my head, and the target are in a line, I then start the snap forward.

Heavy stones must be slung more slowly. If I snap my arm forward as fast as with a lighter stone, the release knode slips out of my fingers do to the added resistance and the shot is way right.

SInce I sling odd size chunks of concrete, this adds to the frustration. When I finally broke down and slung some tennis balls, I found that I was more accurate than I thought. Consistant size, shape and weight is definately a plus when it comes to accuracy.

I am going to make another video and /or take some still pics to explain another thing I just noticed and seems to help. Its hard to explain so pics should help. I have been keeping my throwing wrist straight through out the sling except at the snap forward. I just tried c  o  c king my wrist as the pouch gets behind my head and is ready to snap forward. By this I mean bend your wrist back before you start the snap forward. It felt funny at first but I found that it helped add to the snap power and, more importantly, made my shots straighter.

Oh to be able to find someone who has generations of experience and ability and to be able to get together and show eachother the different things we have learned.

Try some of those things --  if you could follow my rambling.  Hope it helps some.

David

IP Logged

WildAtHeart
Descens

woo hoo

Atlanta GA
Reply #8 - Aug 6th, 2004 at 11:38pm

Okay thanks David! Those are the things I wanted to know.

I have actually been slinging off and on for about 4 years now. At least, that's when I made my sling. But basically it would be every couple of months the family would go on vacation and I'd spend a few days slinging, and then forget about it. Recently I got real interested, partly because I spent two weeks in the Bahamas and entertained myself and my cousin by going out and slinging for hours and hours. I wish I had known about your Greek throwing style then! It is alot more fun and alot more powerful.

I had some friends over tonight and they were very impressed by my slinging prowess, even with the Greek method that I am not too good at yet. But I managed a few lucky shots that were totally sweet.

Here's an idea - go to a landscaping place where they sell gravel and rocks. Tennessee river rock and pea gravel are made up mostly of very good sized, smooth rocks that are GREAT for slinging. They might charge you about 5 bucks for a 5 gallon bucket that will last 200 throws or so. It works great for me.

WWW wormscout13  
IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #9 - Aug 7th, 2004 at 6:24am

Its amazing how nice a smooth river rock flies! I may try that.

IP Logged

WildAtHeart
Descens

woo hoo

Atlanta GA
Reply #10 - Aug 7th, 2004 at 3:36pm

Yes I just picked up 5 gallons of rocks on the way home from a wedding today. They are definitely superior to concrete, pointy gravel, or really anything else (besides lead)

WWW wormscout13  
IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #11 - Aug 7th, 2004 at 4:34pm

Look at it this way guys, that bucket of rocks is proably a lot cheaper than buy golf balls or buying a bucket of balls from the golfing range.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

WildAtHeart
Descens

woo hoo

Atlanta GA
Reply #12 - Aug 7th, 2004 at 6:56pm

yeah, you get at least 150 good throws out of 5 gallons of rocks. And you can usually go walk around and salvage most of them.

Just something I wanted to add - when I was slinging through a half-bucket of rocks just now, I found the *perfect* stone. it's about 3 inches by 1.5 inches and almond shaped. I focused, threw it at a big pine tree, and it hit just where I wanted it to and it bounced back in front of me. So I picked it up and kept it hee hee

WWW wormscout13  
IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #13 - Aug 7th, 2004 at 8:18pm

You should post a pic of the "perfect rock". I have found avery close "perfect rock". It was the best throw ever. I was shooting it out into the lake then when it hit the water very far away it made sound like no other rock. I guess it was the perfect sound too. 8)

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

WildAtHeart
Descens

woo hoo

Atlanta GA
Reply #14 - Aug 7th, 2004 at 8:23pm

Yeah I think I will. How does one post pics anyhow? I actually have alot of great pics to post.

WWW wormscout13  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Chris)