IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Re: Proposed Outline. v1
Reply #16 - Aug 12th, 2004 at 10:33pm

English,

I won't lie to you.  I need some serious help developing a good outline.  I've started to flick through a number of history books I have at home to pull out major eras, but the best resource is all of you. 

------------------

English & Gun,

"I think you'd need to have a chapter comparing the sling to other weapons" & "Maybe a section on slings verses bows."

If you notice on the outline, I have a subtopic in each section titled:
- What other projectile weapons were being used and how did they compare?

This is to review other contemporary weapons, and evaluate them (range, accuracy, effectiveness, construction, use, etc.).  I think doing this in each time period (each section) would not only provide some consistency throughout the book, but also be interesting to see how the sling stacked up against other/newer weapons overtime. 

------------------

English,
you know so much about historical weapons, can you write me up an outline for each one of those sub-topics.  For instance:

- Where did the sling develop?
- What was the sling used for?
- What other projectile weapons were being used and how did they compare.
     > Atlatl
     > Spear
     > Bow
     > hand ax
     > etc
     > etc
- Earliest evidence of use.
- Review of evidence from this era.  

Refining and expanding the outline will help define the topics better, and provide the writers with a clear direction. 

Chris

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Aug 13th, 2004 at 4:32am

If I have time, which I probably do at the moment to be honest, I could write something.  I'll start now with the research I guess.  I have plenty of books about bows and that kind of thing.  I'll put it in as an ordinary post for each, so you can give pointers, would that be ok?

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #18 - Aug 14th, 2004 at 9:06pm

Chris
What is the copyright law on quoting from the Loeb classics and  other sources? Although I'm a graphic designer working for a publishing firm, I should be familar with this! I'll ask my editor on Monday and maybe they will have an answer! We need to be sure and get the rights from the publishers if we are going to quote from their books.
Thanks
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #19 - Aug 14th, 2004 at 10:14pm

If a text is older than 100 years, I believe it is copy right free.  You can reference information from newer books too, as long as you note that.  Either way, you should/need to reference it in text.  i.e 

The sling could fire ten thousand feet (Harrison, 83).

(Last name, page number)

And then include a full reference like the ones on the textual resources page.

Chris

IP Logged

Foner

Slinging in the rain

Valencia-SPAIN
Reply #20 - Aug 16th, 2004 at 1:56pm

Chris,

I will gladly work on the use of the sling during the Spanish Civil War. I could work in other sections of the Modern topic too (World War, etc.)

Foner.

IP Logged

friebejr

Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Reply #21 - Aug 16th, 2004 at 4:35pm

Nice topic...
Well, if you and Chris decide or not to put it on the book, let me know about what you discovered about it anyway, OK? Smiley
I don't think they were used on this war as a weapon, in the 30' they had a lot of fireguns... included automatic ones... but maybe people from some small pueblos, in the Pirineus, for instance, which were shepards, have used it against the falangists...
I've got much curious!!!

IP Logged

slingerkid

Job 39-42

Taranaki, New Zealand
Reply #22 - Oct 5th, 2005 at 4:59pm

Hi
I'm only 13, so i will not pretend to know much about slings, but there is one thing that is bothering me - You have heaps of sections on the history of the sling, but almost none to teach us how to use a sling. I mean, shouldn't we have at least one sub-section on making modern slings, one on making ammo (or selecting it from rivers) and one with step by step instructions for learning to weild the sling. I know the book has more of a focus on the history of the sling etc. but if we're complying all the knowledge of the sling then we should have _all_ the knowledge.

Anyway, this what i prepose - change the section on casting styles into a section on how to use the sling, and in that section have subsections on casting styles (with step-by-step instructions on how to do them), making a sling, & finding/making ammo.
If nothing else, at least the book will appeal to more people.

The Earth moved, and the object hit the universe, as a chair, hitting the object. The crowd leaves to avoid itself. You are of the dream you once had tomorrow. Let go of the hand that holds itself, and it will let go of yourself.
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #23 - Oct 6th, 2005 at 12:24pm

Kid, 

The thing is, the section you ask for could only give rudimentary information at best. Slinging is hard to learn from diagrams, and is best learned from someone who knows how to do it. I have two boys about your age as apprentices, and I can show them why the cast they did goes backwards, or straight up in the air.
   To put all the subtle variables in this in a book is almost impossible.
   However, something that can be put in is a basic course in sling safety. I think that this is of the utmost importance to emphasize this. Any book that has a "how to" section should have this.
    It should have a minimum range distance for each size of sling. It should state that slings are dangerous, and have lifethreatening potential. Also inspection of slings before use should be in there. before I got in the habit of doing that, I had several break on me in mid cast.
   The reason why I emphasize this is twofold. One is that it would distress me greatly if anythig would happen to someone while under my instruction/influence.
   The second is lawsuits. in an age where you can sue a Mc Donald's for lot labeling coffee as being hot, do you really want the potential??

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #24 - Oct 6th, 2005 at 8:27pm

The way this book is going it is proably going to be to costly for the person just wanting to learn how to sling.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Rat Man)