Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Archery (Read 7914 times)
nwmanitou

Utah, USA
Archery
Aug 2nd, 2004 at 9:05pm

Just curious as to how many here on the board are into archery? And if so, what do you shoot?

I've just been hit with a terrible case of wanderlust/cabin fever. Mostly because a friend of mine is headed out bowhunting in 3 weeks and I'm not.

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Re: Archery
Reply #1 - Aug 2nd, 2004 at 9:22pm

There are some earlier posts on this.

I shoot bows, myself.  I have made two longbows from sawn boards.  They both shot well.  The first busted, the second still shoots.  I also shoot a Martin Mamba recurve.  Very fast!

This is my favorite of the "throwing" sports (except for maybe the slingshot).  In the earlier posts are some pics of my gear.  At the present time, the only things i have not made are my shooting glove and the string on my bow.  All the rest are my own craftings.

jeff <><

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #2 - Aug 2nd, 2004 at 10:59pm

I love archery....loved it so much I had to quit.  I may take it up again as I still have much equipment.  When I do shoot again,  it will have to be as a lefty because my spine is quite curved between the shoulder blades....hopefully this will restore some semblance of normalcy.   I am also working on a prototype hybrid bow that will either be the best of both worlds (traditional and compound) or the new bastard child of the industry.  The physics are sound and upon crunching the numbers several times....it should prove to be the fastest bow on the planet.  As I do not yet have provisional patent status I cannot divulge more at this time......It will have a low dynamic hysteresis compared to other bows and will have a higher energy storage capacity for it's weight than virtually any other bow on the market.....should it reach production.

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #3 - Aug 3rd, 2004 at 12:08pm

I shoot alot during the earily fall and winter. I shoot a Bear compond bow 65lb, a PSE coyote recurve 55lb, and a Bear monatana longbow 50lb. All of them are great bows. my compond is used exlusively for deer and turkey. The recure is the all round bow. Since it takes down, i take it just about everywhere and shoot about anything with it from squirrels and deer to fish and long range targets. The long bow is a great shooter bow but i don't like to take it hunting since it is so nice looking.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #4 - Aug 3rd, 2004 at 6:53pm

I'm an avid, but part time archer.  I have a 40# traditional recurve. 

Chris

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #5 - Aug 4th, 2004 at 11:13am

I'm an archer and bowyer.
I'm getting close to finishing a Turko/Mongol asiatic recurve. It has 3 layers of sinew on it at this point. You have to wait 2 weeks(the ancients would wait months!) in between layers before gluing down the next. I will put another on this weekend. The glue I use is traditional hide glue, heated in a double burner. Maybe I will have it strung by the end of September. I will get some pics up if it doesn't blow at first draw!!

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Shaun
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Pleasant Hope, Mo
Reply #6 - Aug 4th, 2004 at 11:45am

Archery is one of my favorite hobbies, The bow I usually use is a 25-30# recurve. I haven't gotten to practice since I broke my arm though Cry

<?php&& $id = $_GET[

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #7 - Aug 6th, 2004 at 11:49pm

Johnny,  you ever try Bingham projects?  Reasonable prices.

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Mithras

Slinging beach pebbles
off the Yorkshire coast

East Yorkshire, England
Reply #8 - Aug 7th, 2004 at 11:59am

I shoot a 45lb Grozer bow (that's a Mongolian recurve bow). Its not one of the top of the range models, its a Szakita, worth about £150.

It's suitable as a Roman-era bow and I use it as such. I'm practicing using a bronze thumb ring - Syrian style. I made a leather armguard after a carving on Trajan's Column and my own leather quiver.

They shrink for fear, abated of their rage,&&Nor longer dare in a blind fight engage;&&Contented now to gall them from below&&With darts and slings, and with the distant bow.&&&&Aeneid 9.503&&
IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #9 - Aug 7th, 2004 at 4:39pm

Techstuff have you tried the Bingham projects bows? I have seen them in catalogs, but i have never bought one yet.

Mithras how do you like using the thumb rings? How do they compare with shooting tabs?

IP Logged

Mithras

Slinging beach pebbles
off the Yorkshire coast

East Yorkshire, England
Reply #10 - Aug 7th, 2004 at 7:08pm

Gun, thumb-rings aren't intuitive ... you know? But I think with lots of practice I can get the release nice and smooth. At the moment the point of release is a jerky affair.

You certaibly need to keep your thumb-nail short or it will snap the end off ... ouch !

They shrink for fear, abated of their rage,&&Nor longer dare in a blind fight engage;&&Contented now to gall them from below&&With darts and slings, and with the distant bow.&&&&Aeneid 9.503&&
IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #11 - Aug 8th, 2004 at 7:55am

Tech
What are "Bingham projects"? Archery stuff?
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #12 - Aug 8th, 2004 at 1:27pm

How did you guess?!   Yep.  Traditional archery supplies.  Wink

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #13 - Aug 8th, 2004 at 3:52pm

They sell almost done bows.
http://www.binghamprojects.com/features.htm
They look like they sell good stuff. This would be good for the begineer.

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #14 - Aug 9th, 2004 at 12:17pm

Gun,  in answer to your question,  Yes,  I prefer Bingham to various other companies for their after market selection and service.  The sky's the limit with what they have to offer.  A do it your selfer's dream!   I am currently working on a POC (Proof of Concept) model at 1/2 scale.  This coupled with a CGI animation will hopefully get this one off the table. 

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Chris, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus)