Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Sling hunting (Read 8587 times)
english
Ex Member

Re: Sling hunting
Reply #15 - Aug 24th, 2004 at 10:31am

Can't make a bow in the woods?!  What do you think bows are made of?  If you have a Swiss Army Knife with a saw and a blade (or two), then a bow is easily possible.  It won't look as nice as something you made and finished with sandpaper, but it's easy.  Cut a sapling about three inches thick, five or six feet long, mark where you want the handle to be, and take wood only from the belly.  And then you have something nice to hunt with.  You can even make a good Penobscot-style double bow.  And making a sling would take as much time, realistically, in the woods.  Also, it depends on what cordage is available: you would need lots of nettle string, but not a lot of willow or lime bark (the problem with these is preparation.  Clematis bark is a no-no.  Where as a bowstring can be easily made from the same stuff, with less of it.
« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2004 at 5:04am by N/A »  

IP Logged

nwmanitou

Utah, USA
Reply #16 - Aug 24th, 2004 at 2:59pm

As far as hunting large game? well... I wouldn't use it on anything larger than a small deer. And even so, I doubt I'd be able to get a shot off before it bounded away, it's hard enough with a bow (which I'm gonna do this week).  But for small game a sling would work well. Most rodents will stop and stand up if for a high pitched whistle or sqeek. I've actually been able to call in possums, rabits, ground squirrels, and rock chucks by making a squeeking noise by sucking air through my lips.

For fun I have a friend roll or bounce a volley ball past me then I try and hit the "bunny" with a tennis or raquet ball from my sling.

Honestly, in a survival situation you'd be amazed at how many food sources you can gather or critters you can just pick up with your hands or pull out of a hole with a forked stick. Though, having a chance to kill something as large as a small deer or more likely a racoon sized rodent would be a plus.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Aug 24th, 2004 at 4:44pm

The best way to call in animals like that is to kiss the back of your hand.  Honestly.
   In reality, in a survival situation, I'd use traps a lot - overall, less work for more probable gain.  Hunting would of course be used, but more to get more animals in the early stages, when the animals are still getting used to the presence of the traps.

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #18 - Aug 24th, 2004 at 11:18pm

What kind of traps did you use? If a person uses modern trapping equipment (leg hold, conbeair, or braided steel snare), you should have reasonable success.
www.sullivansline.com and www.buckshotscamp.com are good site to help anyone with trapping.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Aug 25th, 2004 at 5:10am

Rabbit sinew apparently makes good snares, but of course, you'd have to trap the rabbit first.  Twisted nettle fibres make good, strong snares, and can be used to hold up logs for simple deadfalls.  Sampson deadfall would be a useful trap as well, perhaps some sapling spring spear traps... snares are easy.  Just look in a good survival handbook/guide and there are usually lots of good trap designs in there.  Not that I have used them of course.  They are illegal, after all. Grin

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Re: Sling hunting/ new hunting ammo
Reply #20 - Aug 30th, 2004 at 7:09pm

today i was thinking about throwing shot with a sling
None of the methods i tried made me very happy
so then I thought about chain shot the old ammo used in shot guns. that lead to thinking about chain.
that lead to balling up a piece of chain and hurling it .
that worked real well the chain flys out  then un rolls then hits hard
I am really impressed. if you try this remeber its at you own risk and tuck the chain in the pocket nicely

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #21 - Aug 30th, 2004 at 7:18pm

Neat Idea!

How about three, small, short chains joinrd in the middle for small game? I need to experiment with that.

IP Logged

solobo

Reno, NV, USA
Reply #22 - Aug 30th, 2004 at 7:30pm

Now you've got me interested.  I'm thinking along the lines of a tiny bola-shaped shot, using fishing weights and small chain.  At 200 miles per hour, those rabbits are history.  If you hit them, that is. Smiley

solobo88  
IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #23 - Aug 30th, 2004 at 9:47pm

how do you pack the mini bolos in the pouch (just put it in there?). Do you think you could throw more than one?

On a side not, I got realy close to hitting a squirrel in the woods today, but he gave me the slip when i got to were he should have been.

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #24 - Aug 31st, 2004 at 1:19am

I went to the three chains joined in the center. thought about weight they just did not seem needed the chain opens up great with out the weights and tangles every thing it hits.
another thing i discoverd that if the chains are hurled underhand so they fly about six inches off the ground they are one heck of a lawn mower
it kinda like bowling for bunnys then.
One thing i did not mention early is I am using a one peice leather tri-cord sling that might make some differnce

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Aug 31st, 2004 at 4:29am

A bit like chainshot for a cannon, eh?  I can see only one problem - the chains tangling with the release cord.  Could be painful.

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #26 - Aug 31st, 2004 at 4:27pm

well i havent so far, but english experment a little for me. see if it does hurt.the room need's a good guinnie pig

IP Logged

Roman_slinger
Tiro

bonk!!

ohio
Reply #27 - Aug 31st, 2004 at 6:25pm

i threw a rail rode spike today it works well and could kill.

im new hello
Smiley  Wink

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #28 - Aug 31st, 2004 at 9:58pm

How long are the chains? What kind of chain is it (i know it won't be logging chain)?

A rail road spike?  Shocked sounds cool. Do you modify or is it start from the rail road. I have 1 or 2 railroad spike here. I might try it.

IP Logged

longwinger
Descens

Mustang, Oklahoma
Reply #29 - Aug 31st, 2004 at 10:37pm

I used to throw rail road spikes fairly often when I was younger, one time the release cord wrapped around it, felt like my finger was leaving, of course this might be eleminated using a sling without a knot on the release cord.
Oscar

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Rat Man, Chris, joe_meadmaker)