Send Topic Print
Sling hunting (Read 8584 times)
Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Sling hunting
Jul 29th, 2004 at 12:51pm

is anyone here good enough to hunt with a sling? I mean in a survival situation could you kill small animals with the sling?

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Re: Sling hunting
Reply #1 - Jul 29th, 2004 at 1:36pm

sure you can kill them.... if you can hit them... Grin
I've been slinging since i was 10 years old and now i'm 48, and in a survival situation i would try, snares, traps, slingshot, bow and arrows, a spear or even a rabbit stick... may be i try to use the sling over a group of animals just in case...  but hitting a rabbit at 35 yards it would be a lucky strike for me

Never disturb your enemy when it's making a mistake (Napoleon Bonaparte)

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #2 - Jul 29th, 2004 at 5:01pm

Zorro is right, but i don't think it would hurt to bring it along with you with your surivial gear since it doesn't take up much space.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #3 - Jul 30th, 2004 at 6:47am

Hey Guys,

If you go back to June 25th you will find this same topic heading with 14 pages of posts. I'm not sure how to move your posts over to that page but you may be interested in some of the comments that others have made on the subject.

David

IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #4 - Jul 30th, 2004 at 7:55am

you're right gun , sling is easy to carry and allways ammo available,  personally i wont use it for hunting, but i find it usefull for scaring some dangerous animals and luckly hunt some individuals of a group also the crack! sound of mine would be usefull as a sound signaling.... also nice if i get bored Grin though i think in a survival situation,  there's no time to get boring.

Never disturb your enemy when it's making a mistake (Napoleon Bonaparte)

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #5 - Aug 9th, 2004 at 10:09am

ive always heard that you where suposed to hit like deer or other bigger animals. stun them and then kill them with a knife or bigger rock.  I think that you would not go for a rabbit  but go bigger hit a deer moose  maybe even a wild dog or a big bird i think you could hit them and stun them easily.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

SnapCut

USA
Reply #6 - Aug 11th, 2004 at 11:58am

I've seen some shows on TV that said primitive man was only successful at hunting with a sling about 30 persent of the time and that that must be good anuff.  I don't think that I beleave that.  Some people are better at slinging then others. 

I think smaller animals is what you would go after for food.  I feel fairly confident in my chances of hitting some.

Alot depends on the sling, size of shot,  your skill and so on.

I don't think that I would try for a deer and definitely not a bear or moose.

A SLING IS SO MANY WONDERFUL THINGS

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #7 - Aug 11th, 2004 at 2:31pm

Sling Hunting also helped primitive man evolve other forms of gathering food. Like trapping. Trapping is a much more productive form of gather meat than using a sling to gather food. I like slings but I don't think I would rely on one to help me gather food. I would go hungrey before I killed anything with it. And I am sure that primitive man thought the same way as me.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Aug 12th, 2004 at 4:56am

For small game, weapon of choice would be a throwing stick, no question.  So simple to use.  For larger game, I'd use an atlatl, because they are so easily made, and the wood need not be seasoned, so they are ideal for survival situations, rather than the bow, which needs seasoning, careful preparations, and complex procedures.  A sling would be a back up weapon, or a weapon for taking down groups of birds with gravel.  I wouldn't try it on a rabbit or anything.  I do think that it would make good sport, though; in a survival situation, you need to keep busy all the time, so as to not let yourself get depressed, and maybe kill yourself, or something like that.  Easy to use, occasionally lethal, abundant ammunition; the sling can be used well in sport in such a situation.

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #9 - Aug 12th, 2004 at 11:55am

I am not saying not try to go hunting with a sling. But like English said I wouldn't use it in a surivial sutiation. Wink

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #10 - Aug 13th, 2004 at 6:32am

Yes i think that the sling would make up a good back up tool. But you got to think...romans used slings in there military they killed humans so you would think that you could take something bigger down then your general small animal. If you where in a group you could volly the animal with rocks..always assuming that your group can sling to.

I think the bola would be good for hunting and the spear would also be good i think.  I would use traps with the sling shooting the rocks to sorta heard the animal into a trap. I dont think that your going to look where your going too well if you have some a hole behind you slinging rocks. so this is just i therory but i think it would work.

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Aug 20th, 2004 at 4:11pm

Quote:
But you got to think...romans used slings in there military they killed humans so you would think that you could take something bigger down then your general small animal. If you where in a group you could volly the animal with rocks..always assuming that your group can sling to.
The main thing is not that you have a group of guys slinging, but that you have a group of things to sling at; target rich environment.  By which I mean, slinging at a group of guys would be much easier than slinging at a single deer, or bear, or whatever.  I am not distrusting the power of the sling, but an atlatl or bow would still be the weapon of choice over a sling.

IP Logged

solobo

Reno, NV, USA
Reply #12 - Aug 20th, 2004 at 4:59pm

I was playing around with my sling a week ago and I took a 1 by 6" board about a foot long and set it up.  (Rabbit)  I loaded my sling with five stones about the size of marbles and threw from about twenty yards.  The board shattered, the rocks making a pattern about a yard wide.  Kind of like a shotgun.  I would think it would be pretty effective for rabbits.  The only thing is: you have to get the rabbit to stand still while you whirl the rocks around your head.  I'd definately rather have a bow, but in a pinch... Undecided

solobo88  
IP Logged

Tyler
Tiro

sling it, sling it good

Ramona, California
Reply #13 - Aug 21st, 2004 at 11:51pm

Sobolo, I assume you are afraid that whirling a sling about your head would scar a rabbit.  I have had a different experience with rabbits.  Once i slung a stone at a rabbit from about 35 feet away.  The rabbit didn't seem to notice the whirling of my sling at all.  In addition the stone buzzed about a foot above the rabbit's head and the stupid thing didn't seem to mind that either.  The stupid rabbit gave me a second shot!!!!!  The second shot i missed entirely, but i did learn somthing valuble.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #14 - Aug 24th, 2004 at 10:24am

yes i know that that a bow would be better for hunting but you cant make a bow in the woods. If your lost in the woods with no gear but a knife and you need a weapon  to hunt with i think a sling would be a good choice. If you where good with one. I personly would make a spear, then dig a pit and chase what ever it is  into the pit then kill them with the spear. A sling would be easey to make just some boot lace a bit of your shirt and ta-da you have yourself a simple sling.

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Morphy, Chris, Curious Aardvark)