Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Dacron line (Read 5768 times)
WalkingBird
Descens

Slinger of stones

Dacron line
Jul 25th, 2004 at 10:16pm

I just finished purdhasing some dacron line off of e-bay. Here's the info on it.

200 Feet 3/32 Double Dacron
Antenna Rope

- Good for 250 Pounds of Stress
- Does not Stretch
- UV Resistant - Does not Rot in the Sun!!!
- You can untie the rope with your fingers!!
- Great for hanging G5RV's and Dipoles
I hung my first dipole using cord from drapes. It lasted less than 4 months!! I replaced it with Double Dacron over 20 years ago. Its still there and I can still untie with my fingers.

I've been wanting to try some of this stuff for sling cords for some time, and finialy got around to ordering some. I think that being 3/32 inch thick and 250 lbs test with no stretch it should make for a very fast and responsive sling. The first sling I plan to make will have a small split pocket pouch, as small as can be used with about golf ball sized stones.
If anyone is interested in the results, I'll post them.

WalkingBird

Because inquiring minds want to know.

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Re: Dacron line
Reply #1 - Jul 25th, 2004 at 10:33pm

I am interested Walkingbird. I never thought to use the bow line like that. About how much did the 200 feet cost on ebay if i may ask. Do you think you could braid it to make a pouch, but just an idea.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Sean

(@")=====@(kirb y boxing)

Florida
Reply #2 - Jul 26th, 2004 at 12:08am

Ok kinda off topic but if you braid like 5 strands does this make the wieght that it can hold 5 times more?  i was wondering this because i want to hang a hammock up in the back yard but i dont wanna use thick rope because it takes away from the hammocks coolness
just curious
Sean

*shatter* I HIT A WINDOW RUN!!!!!!
sharpieman99  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 26th, 2004 at 5:40am

Depends on the kind of line you use, Sean.  Braiding strengthens a line a lot, perhaps not five times, but probably more, if you think about it.  Is this hammock homemade or did you buy it?  Because if you bought it, it should come with line strong enough to take anyone's weight.
   I didn't know dacron was that strong or durable.  I'm sure it would make a good sling.

IP Logged

Sean

(@")=====@(kirb y boxing)

Florida
Reply #4 - Jul 26th, 2004 at 10:25am

we bought the hammock but it came with I bolts to screw into the trees if thats what you wanted to do but my dad went all tree hugger on me and said i couldnt screw them into the tree because it might damage the tree.  it came with chains not rope though.
Sean

*shatter* I HIT A WINDOW RUN!!!!!!
sharpieman99  
IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #5 - Jul 26th, 2004 at 11:22am

WalkingBird,

Just Lary Bray used the sling with the cords made of braided dacron during his GR attempt. Should work pretty well Smiley

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #6 - Jul 26th, 2004 at 12:51pm

Dacron is a Dupont polyester derivative (actually pet, but who is keeping track...) And should be plenty strong. The most important thing with most plastics is the construction, rather than the chemistry though, so you really need to assess each sample individually (or by intended use). "Antenna cord" sounds like pretty tough stuff - Dacron drapery cord often has a soft braid over a fibre fill and is _not_... As for braids, the "slacker" the braid, the higher the % of the original strength you preserve.

If you want to do your trees a favour, find some nylon or poly seatbelt-type webbing and use that to make slings (Grin) that you wrap around the trunks and tie your ropes to.

- Matthias (wishing he had trees for his hammock - oh man I wish I had trees...)

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #7 - Jul 26th, 2004 at 12:51pm

Give us some feed back on how it works out!!

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jul 26th, 2004 at 3:07pm

I have always loved hammocks.  I'd prefer to sleep in a hammock with a tarp as a cover than any other way.

IP Logged

WalkingBird
Descens

Slinger of stones

Reply #9 - Jul 26th, 2004 at 10:47pm

Well, here's the scoop.

Gun, the Dacron line cost me $15 with shipping for 200 ft. Seemed like a fair price.

Sean, I no braider to speak of, but I guess that a five strand brain would give you somewhat less than five times the strength, because with rope in general doubling the amount will not double the strength. That is why most modern bow strings are a series of individual lines, so you get the most strength for the least weight. I think if I were to hang a hamock that some sort of flat strap would be better. This stuff is only 3/32 inch thick. That means you have only to abraid through 3/32 and you have severly degraded the ability of the braid to hold.

Jurek, I was not awear of it being used by Larry. "There's nothing new under the sun" I wonder how he liked using it.

David_T, I'll be sure to post my findings. As you might guess my biggest concern is for abraiding through the cord with the craggy rocks to be found here. The lighter weight of the line might help here. First thing I'll do is try and cut throught it by abraiding it on the coner of a brick to see how it holds up, after that it's sling building time. I may have to switch from using a toggle to a leather finger strap; I don't want that thin line to be able to cut into my hand between the fingers. Fatter line is not a problem here. But I don't yet know about something this thin.

And for those who are into braiding, doing a search on dacron on e-bay will reveal some really bright and interesting colors. One who can braid could probably make some outstanding looking slings.

WalkingBird

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jul 27th, 2004 at 5:12am

I don't like braiding man-made fibres as much as natural ones.  They twist and spin and muck up the braid more, and they cling to each other a bit more, so braiding cleanly is more difficult.  And natural fibres are very strong.

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #11 - Jul 27th, 2004 at 7:22am

WalkingBird,

Quote:
... I may have to switch from using a toggle to a leather finger strap; I don't want that thin line to be able to cut into my hand between the fingers. Fatter line is not a problem here. But I don't yet know about something this thin.

Thin release cord makes a little problem with the griping too. Of course, it is possible to use some ingenious big knot on the ending but  I like better to use a additional short piece of a thicker cord conected to the thin one. You needn't to resign the toggle, if you do the same with the retention cord.

I also use the sling with the thin (~ 1 mm, 0.04") cords. The thicker cord pieces on the endings make my griping more reliable.

A sling with very thin cords more tends to twisting during the windups, so keeping a proper pouch orientation is a bit more difficult. Besides, if you release a stone when the cords are twisted together, you may wear them out easy, despite their durability and for sure, that shot will be poor.

From my experience, thin cords give some range profit, epecially for longer slings and lighter projectiles but they make the sling less unfailing.

Jurek
« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2004 at 11:08am by Yurek »  

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #12 - Jul 31st, 2004 at 6:06am

You'll have to post some pictures for us.  You can email them to me if you want me to host them for you. 

Chris

IP Logged

WalkingBird
Descens

Slinger of stones

Reply #13 - Aug 2nd, 2004 at 9:30pm

Chris
   I'll be glad to send some photos as soon as I get some time to get a sling or two done. I have received the dacron and it sits on my desk even as I write this so in the next week or two I should have something for you.

Yurek
   Thanks for the good idea of using heaver cord at the ends, I may try it, but it looks as though it may work well with just the dacron. Don't know yet but I'll be sure to post.

WalkingBird

IP Logged

WalkingBird
Descens

Slinger of stones

Reply #14 - Sep 12th, 2004 at 9:30pm

It's taken me a while , but here is the results of trying out the dacron line.

I'm pleased with the performance of the dacron, on the overall, I'd say for me it is worth the cost to purchase the line. The line is somewhat flatish, not perfectly round, has practicly no stretch. There is a little stretch, but that is due to the braid and not the material.

Here you can see the line is two piece, and outer sheath and an inner core. The inner core is also braided, but not as tightly. This stuff melts very much like nylon. The lack of stretch makes it necessary to "mushroom" the end when melting it, this will help to hold the knot. (I use only a half hitch to tie the line to the pouch.) There is no problem with the line being too thin.

Here is the hank of Dacron with a smaller hank of 1/8" nylon. It gives some idea of the size.

This image again gives some idea of the size of the dacron. (The knot is a half hitch, but loosely tied)

This is one of the slings made from the dacron. Iv'e had no problem with line twist. The stuff is not to limp nor to stiff. It's easly rolled up and put is an pocket, and yet does not tangle up very much, a nice trait to be sure.

I love the looks of the bradided slings, but for an easly made sling, this is all you really need, leather, some cord, and a bit of dowel.

Here are my two first dacron line slings. The longer one is 34" long and the shorter is 27" long. I like the shorter more, but they both work well. The longer I've found needs a stone of more exact size, to large and it takes too much effort to work well, to small and it's not heavy enough to get good flight. The shorter sling is more forgiving of stone weight variation. These slings make quite a bit of string noise, they really cut throught the air. I would not want to have to hunt with it. The dacron seems to be somewhat less resistant to abration than nylon, but not overly so. It may be due to lack of stretch.

Bottom line.
I would buy this stuff again. I'm gona make more slings from it, it seems fast, and is easy to work with. It's not perfect, but If I were to try inventing a cord just for making slings this stuff is what I'd be shooting for, (or maybe slinging for).  8)

Hope this is some help to someone.

WalkingBird

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Rat Man, Morphy, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15)