Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Feels Good to Pack a Sling! (Read 7046 times)
Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Re: Feels Good to Pack a Sling!
Reply #15 - Jul 27th, 2004 at 8:02am

Quote:
That was funny yurek and for sure sling has real thin cords Smiley
i've been seeking my eyeglasses with them on, a few times too    8)

Cheesy

Yeah, the cords are 1 mm thick.

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

archeorob
Descens

Know when to duck!

Wisconsin
Reply #16 - Jul 27th, 2004 at 2:44pm

I used to carry my sling with me to work everyday.  That was when I used a leather and 1/8 in. cord sling and I wore cargo pants to work everyday.  It fit perfectly in my side pocket.

Now that I've gotten a slightly more respectable job Shocked I usually keep it in my bag along with my laptop.  I've got a lake a couple of blocks away that make my lunch break much more enjoyable!!

Rob <who misses his cargo pants>

Archeorob rob+Fullmer  
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #17 - Apr 24th, 2006 at 2:00pm

Oh, my, the treasures you can find in the forum!  I ran across this thread whilst searching for something entirely different.

I carry a sling with me everywhere (folded into a small bundle, with the release cord wrapped around to hold it together -- my keys take more room than does the sling), along with a small basalt pebble.  The pebble is gradually getting polished by the other stuff in my pocket.

By my count, Mgreenfield, I am #17 to admit to this peculiar habit...

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #18 - Apr 24th, 2006 at 3:14pm

number 18 right here i have that habbit indeed since i most of the time carry a shoulder bag and there is one in there at all times Wink

Taiki  
IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #19 - Apr 24th, 2006 at 3:28pm

Me too. Smiley  Medium sling, cords wraped around pouch tucked into a hip pocket when I'm wandering about. In vehicles just happen to have container of 2 oz. lead football weights in my fishing tackle

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Gard

Yup, there are slingers
in Norway too!

Norway
Reply #20 - Apr 24th, 2006 at 4:54pm

I have mine in my pocket all day, and in the night I take the small one (the other one doesn't work) out and lay it on the side of the bed. Smiley Close to never I don't have my sling with me outside, and I usually carry it inside to. I have the long sling in my left pocket (though it doesn't work right now, need to fix it) and the short sling in the right pocket. If they're placed wrong, it feels strange, and I'll go around thinking about it until I put them right again. Roll Eyes

Gard

You never know what you might get to need, before you need it.

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #21 - Apr 24th, 2006 at 5:03pm

i have been carrying a sling with me in my pocket since the first day i made one(a couple days after i found this site and some decent string)

now i have set up an organized system;
-my (longish)apache sling tied around the belt loop on my left hip(or in the left pocket if i don't have any beltloops)
-one very small profile braided line with a three pouch tied into it(in the style desribed in the topic "string sling") tucked in to my wallet
-my newer short apache style sling in my right hip or back pocket
-several peices of string in my shoulder bag or backpack, and usually a couple of my old braided split pouch slings

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #22 - Apr 24th, 2006 at 5:32pm

I carry my favorite sling around with me wherever I go. I wear it around my waist (often, but not always) even while I sleep. It's made of nylon cord + knots, so most people think it's some sort of belt. It wraps around me three times (it's a very long sling. Too long for apache style unless I adjust it to its shortest length).

There are 10 types of people in this world:&&those who understand binary and those who don't&&
&&E=mc^2&&Entertainment = mass * (centripetal acceleration)^2&&
&&Bad spellers of the world untie!&&
&&
IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #23 - Apr 24th, 2006 at 6:42pm

well would it come to any ones surprise. That I too am a member Of this club. I almost always have my sling I have for the last ten years usaly in the front pocket of my jeans either left or right

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Slinger_Man_Dan

My sling is my friend.

Gardner,MA
Reply #24 - Apr 25th, 2006 at 1:50am

Well, come to think of it, I've been reading the stuff here on slinging.org for about the past.......uh, 10 months, maybe ( not sure exactly, ) my first sling worked only so-so, then I made my simple rope sling about 3 or 4 months ago, then I signed up here with slinging.org, started leaving my sling in the car so I would have it if I drove past a sandy area that had lots of stones, and now for the past month or so it is just always in my right hip pocket. When I pull a clean pair of pants out of the laundry I just transfer my wallet, my key case, my loose change, my kubotan with my car keys, and my sling. This feels perfectly normal to me.

IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like
cannon balls."Vari, M.Twain

Davis, Ca
Reply #25 - Apr 25th, 2006 at 1:06pm

I've found it a necessity to carry a sling whereever I go. You never know when the opportunity to sling arrives, and who will be interested in trying it. I have taught no less than three people to sling this past week (they are starting to learn faster than me!). It's a lot of fun playing long distance "Catch".

Teaching also requires safety, so I always have at least one tennis ball with me at all times. At first this was very annoying, but I now use my girlfriends cell phone bag. This bag is wonderfull, I can easliy fit 2 tennis balls, one being normal and the other weighted, in with 2 slings (3 balls w/ 3 slings if I cram it).

It is amazing that I can carry around such a full set of slinging stuff so easily. Now whenever I get the chance I simply take my sling out, and sling away. Often I get approached, and suddenly I have a new slinging partner.

I have actually gotten a few of my friends serious about slinging which is great. There are alot of people interested in the ancient arts, and a few are willing to walk the path beside you if only for awhile.

It feels like I'm seing old friends whenever I come here. I hope I can contribute something useful soon.

It's been 80 days since my first post, and I had been following this forum for months before I ever said hello. I just wanted to thank all those who post for their thoughts and company.

I believe slinging is something that will be with me for the rest of my life, and in part because of all the voices I'll think of in the whip and hum of a slung stone.

-Unsapien

Edit: I just realized this is my 181st post, when did I pass a hundred?

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #26 - Apr 25th, 2006 at 4:34pm

Sometime around the sixth of March, it seems Grin

Willeke

(To keep on topic, I do not always carry a sling, but have more often than not a piece of string handy, so can have a sling in a minute  Tongue )

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #27 - Apr 25th, 2006 at 4:46pm

(and to veer slightly off topic)

It's a bit ironic that Willeke a 'godly member' has this apparent omniscience Smiley

I almost always carry a sling with me Smiley

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #28 - Apr 25th, 2006 at 4:51pm

Not much space to sling here, and I when I do have a sling with me, I often need the string for something else. So I rather take a proto sling.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Tito

Australia
Reply #29 - Apr 25th, 2006 at 7:20pm

(and to steer back on to the topic Tongue...)
i always have a slign with me, even at school, right here right now, in my left pocket. and douglas was right, it really is a strange thrill to take a sling on an airplane, but the scary thing is it's so easy. if i wanted i could take 20 slings plus ammo onto an airplane in my hand luggage, (i've actually done it...forgot to pack them in the main bag, so i just took them in my daypack onto the plane with a few rocks. when they x-rayed it they asked "do you have rocks in this bag"  and i said "yep"...they just let me on anyway, no commment on the huge amounts of string in the pack Undecided Roll Eyes Tongue)
Tito

That's one small sling for David. One giant headache for Goliath.&&The safest place to stand when I sling, is right in front of me!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Kick)