Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Projects (Read 1063 times)
english
Ex Member

Projects
Jul 24th, 2004 at 7:49am

I have a hell of a lot of sling-related projects going on, which won't be completed for ages.  I am getting a digital camera soon, so pics will finally be displayed, but I am going on holiday on wednesday, so these projects are on hold.  I am currently trying to make a sling out of my new bark-fibre string, a sling pouch using "sprang", a net pouch, like Matthias', a number of throwing sticks of different sizes for experiments, and some bolas of multiple ball configurations.  I am also trying to perfect my fire-by-friction methods, because it's summer and therefore hot enough so I won't be discouraged.  Pics WILL be displayed soon, of as many things as I can get pics of.  If I don't manage to get a digital, then I'll use a disposable and the flatbed scanner.

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Re: Projects
Reply #1 - Jul 31st, 2004 at 7:41am

Look forward to them!

Chris

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Re: Projects
Reply #2 - Aug 31st, 2004 at 9:37am

Update on this:
  Throwing sticks:  I used an ash curved throwing stick, a Choctaw-style stick, and a neolithic European style stick.  Pictures will be posted of all of these, but here are the results of a single test I did at ten metres, trying to hit piece of split wood resting on top of a stump:  The ash throwing stick hit the split first time, and threw it less than one metre (0.87, according to my metre rule).  The Choctaw-style hit the split second time, but threw it 3.45 metres (approx.).  The neolithic stick may have been improperly made, because it hit the split fourth time, and threw it less than 1 metres again.  I consequently lost this stick.  I'll make another for the photos.
     I didn't make a bark fibre sling, but I did make a bark pouch (ash bark; inner and outer, outer for the inside of the pouch.)  The pouch is fitted with nettle cords (I began with cat-tail leaf fibres, but they were not very strong.)  I tried the sprang pouch, but couldn't quite get the shape I wanted; sprang is a nice technique though, I'm glad I learnt it.  The net pouch is something I didn't get around to, but I managed to get a fire going using a cat-tail stalk hand drill and clematis hearth:  I have got it so I can get a fire within one minute.  I have some pictures on a disposable camera, but I haven't had them developed yet.  I intend to have more permanent and generally better pictures ASAP.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Kick, Morphy, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark)