Do you use knives? (Read 31812 times)
Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Do you use knives?
Jul 23rd, 2004 at 3:29am

I've only found a few posts about  man's best friend long before the white man and long before the wheel (also long before the dog) knives!
Do you carry and use knives? (any blade from little cutters to jungle machetes and swords Grin )
What for?
what knives?

Never disturb your enemy when it's making a mistake (Napoleon Bonaparte)

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Re: Do you use knives?
Reply #1 - Jul 23rd, 2004 at 3:48am

I carry a lock-blade swiss army knife pretty much everywhere.  Very useful.  But I also have some knives for gutting fish, large things, given to me by my uncle.  It is quite likely that they are illegal.  Knives are useful for so many things, but I find that crafting things out of wood is their most important use.  If there is one thing you need in a wilderness, it's a knife (or an axe.)

IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #2 - Jul 23rd, 2004 at 4:32am

My last knife purchase (2 days ago  Grin ) was one of those fish filleting knives  from J.Marttiini (Finland)  i did'n liked filleting knives, cause i find the blade too thin and flexible but i have a puhkko from the same manufacturer and the blade was very good...  and i liked his big filletting knife blade just  flexible and thick enough. I don't fillet much fish but i cook a lot and this knife is a great cutter.
I like old style finnish knives, cause they're an  ancient design long time tested by everyday use and sheaths are very nice decorated leather.Most of this knifemaking is handmade. and they're not expensive.

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #3 - Jul 23rd, 2004 at 9:10am

Quote:
long before the white man and long before the wheel

...When the green dark forest was too silent to be real?

Now I'm going to be whistling all day... Oh well, I don't expect most of you to get this. Odds of Spaniards being big fans of Lightfoot are a little slim eh?

Matthias

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #4 - Jul 23rd, 2004 at 9:16am

I carry a 4 inch mora knife, a glock field knife, and a crtk m-16 knife. all of these knifes are very good knives in my opinion.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #5 - Jul 23rd, 2004 at 10:03am

yes...  And many are the dead men too silent to be real...

Lol Matthias,  odds may be a little  slim but there are  still odds Grin  Gordon Lightfoot is one of my fav. singers alone with Jim Croce  (yup... odds on that singer are little slim too)

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #6 - Jul 23rd, 2004 at 10:16am

Grin That is hillarious! It was either that or a penchant for melodrama Wink. Oh well, I've resigned myself to a day of whistling... lets see how many I can bring down with me.

I know that Lightfoot is on the short list for Canadian "teens backpacking in Europe and trying to pay their way by busking" but I thought it was only rich Canadian "teens backpacking in europe with daddy's money" that gave them anything!

Matthias

IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #7 - Jul 23rd, 2004 at 10:30am

Cool! Gun
I thought i was the only knife nut carying a Glock  (mine is a Glock 81 ... the one with serrated spine) it was my BD gift and i'm carying it since then. it''s really a nice knife and i love the sheath as well
http://glockmeister.com/catalog/images/Dsc00359.jpg

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #8 - Jul 23rd, 2004 at 11:18am

I used to carry a SOG 3-1/2'' folder -- still do sometimes.  I've had just enough knife training to realize how deadly they can be, so now I mostly carry a Leatherman Wave multi-tool -- best tool on the market!  I've got a knife collection, though.  Mostly daggers and 'fantasy fighters,' knives that look cool but that aren't real practical.  Lots of Gil Hibben's, lots of United Cutlery.

IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #9 - Jul 23rd, 2004 at 12:12pm

Nice all american brands Hobb
i like sog but i  can't find them here in Spain (so far)
i also like leatherman, very usefull quality multitools, but expensive for my budget,  though i  know it's worth the money.
I invested in a true pliers and wire cutter (full size tools)and that 's what i use  when i go outdoors. a bit more bulky and heavy but anyway i don't carry too much gear.
Any web addy where we can watch your collection?

IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #10 - Jul 23rd, 2004 at 12:29pm

Matthias i knew Gordon lightfoot's songs  back in the 1sts 70's in a spanish radio program named "flight 505" at that time i was a teenager, that's why i like a lot of that music and american music too (The Carpenters, Jim Croce, Credence Clear Water Revival, Diana Ross, The  jackson 5 America, Eagles, ELO, John Denver etc...) also i used to listen American Forces Radio casted from Torrejon Air Base  lot of that music was to arive 6 or 10 months later to spanish pop music radio programs.

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #11 - Jul 23rd, 2004 at 12:39pm

Zorrro, i hate the knife sheath. It is still a very good knife though (every good knife i have ever bought has a crappy sheath, moras included). If I was you i would take a look at one of the Blackhawk airborne sheaths. They are great sheath for any militay knife.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

nwmanitou

Utah, USA
Reply #12 - Jul 23rd, 2004 at 12:54pm

I used to carry a SOG autoclip. Now I'm carrying a Kershaw Avalanche. It's a nice little assisted open folder. I also have a Sog Seal2000, though I haven't found much practical use for a large sheath knife besides butchering game on hunting trips or slaughtering pigs (though I usually shoot the in the head before bleeding them).  However, besides never being parted from my pocket knife, I never go into the woods without my Machete. My Machete has to be one of the most useful tools I've ever owned, and find it much more suited to the type of camping I do than a hatchet.

www.ontarioknife.com makes some of the best machetes I've found so far.

IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #13 - Jul 23rd, 2004 at 1:43pm

Gun:
i like this sheath, I swim a lot with the knife and sheat still working ok in the water, don't absorb any water, it gets dry quickly.  Clip holds the knife secure even upside down (i carry it upside-down fastened to the backpack shoulderstrap, also i carry it a lot of time upside down as a neck knife at work or when swimming).
Sheath is not bulky and it looks strong and durable, offers a decent body protection.
Sometimes at work i need to put the knife back on the sheat  even if it's dirty  to keep it at hand, and  sheath is easy to clean even in the inside with some hot water rinsing.
The only drawback i find is it's a bit noisy when moving fast or jumping... anyway nothing that bothers me to much unless i find myself in enemy territory  Grin
I even like the color  Smiley
It suit my needs and personal preferences, just my opinion

IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #14 - Jul 23rd, 2004 at 1:56pm

Agreed Nwmanitou i have also 2 machetes and i find it also more usefull than an axe, at least for the places i usually goaround here,  where there are not much big old trees and there is a lot of bushes , also i find machete more comfort to carry and use  than axe.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus)