Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
i really need help (Read 2168 times)
knight

blargh~

Philadelphia
i really need help
Jul 21st, 2004 at 10:17pm

im having a problem slinging ok u know the over the head sling well if i swing it multiple time and i just let go it drops strait down but when i do one time it goes far but i dont really know how to do multiple please help in detail

...&&&&
xrpgknightx xrpgknightx  
IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Re: i really need help
Reply #1 - Jul 21st, 2004 at 11:20pm

Knight,

First: PLEASE use punctuation.  Your posts are nearly impossible to read.

Second: Give us a better description of what you are doing so we can analyse your technique and advise.

jeff <><

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

knight

blargh~

Philadelphia
Reply #2 - Jul 22nd, 2004 at 12:45pm

ok sry im only 13 i dont know all my punctuations.
but anyway i start swinging the sling over my head and i keep going so then i just let go of the rope and it just goes 5 ft. but if i just do it once i launch it really far so am i supposed to swing it above my head then just bring it to my side and launch it or do i just let go when its over my head

...&&&&
xrpgknightx xrpgknightx  
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #3 - Jul 22nd, 2004 at 1:14pm

Look at the videos on the homepage... I don't think any of us use a "helicopter" except maybe sometimes to seat the stone. The slinging motion usually has one or no "windup" circles. Most of the speed (as you have discovered) comes from the final "snap" and too many theatrics make it hard to judge the release.

It isn't just punctuation. We have a lot of people for whom english is a second or third language, and quite a few of us are older and a little less comfortable with "email/texting" slang. If you write using full words, capital letters and complete (ok, more complete - this IS a "discussion" after all) grammar, you'll get more responses.

ok sry im only 13 i dont know all my punctuations.
Ok, sorry. I'm only 13 and I don't know all my punctuations.

I know, I know, we're all old farts... but it IS so much easier to read. On the other hand, we have our share of posters who go overboard in the other direction as well! Grin

Matthias

IP Logged

knight

blargh~

Philadelphia
Reply #4 - Jul 22nd, 2004 at 3:14pm

O ok thank you well you should of said something you should of said dont use computer slang. well ok i wont im just used to it from talking to friends

...&&&&
xrpgknightx xrpgknightx  
IP Logged

WildAtHeart
Descens

woo hoo

Atlanta GA
Reply #5 - Jul 22nd, 2004 at 8:12pm

Hey Knight,

I taught some 5th grade boyscouts today how to sling. The first thing they wanted to do was to start spinning the sling as fast as possible and let go. I know from experience that method just does not work. The trick to getting power behind the rock is tension in the sling cords. The best way to get that tension is to slowly spin the sling just to get your timing, then wind up and throw, extending your arm to the full at the same time. You then release the sling at the top of the arc your arm makes, and at that point the tension from the sling propells the rock super far.

WWW wormscout13  
IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #6 - Jul 22nd, 2004 at 8:33pm

I am not an expert at all but I put 4-5 videos under the "Articles" section. It is titled-  "Sling Styles by David Taylor"

They will give you a good idea of things you can try.

Let me know if it helps

David

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jul 23rd, 2004 at 5:18am

Easiest slinging method is the overarm throw, just swing it once vertically overhead, and release the cord at a premium angle.  It is so much easier than trying wind ups and stuff.  Otherwise, go for a single underarm swing, from the knee back to the knee in an anticlockwise circle.  Go slowly on the main wind-up and speed up as you get near the end, with a final flourish when you release.  This gives good spin, and the stone will probably go further than throwing overarm.  I thought everyone was a bit mad at first, saying that underarm throws further than overarm, but it's true.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Rat Man, Chris, Kick, joe_meadmaker)