Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Odd Knots (Read 4360 times)
english
Ex Member

Odd Knots
Jul 16th, 2004 at 3:28pm

I have plenty of time on my hands at the moment, and so I need little filler things to do, like learn some knots.  I know loads now, but I was inspired by the "monkey fist" question, about a knot of which I had not heard, to ask about more knots.  I know all kinds of knots for tying tarps up, or mooring a boat, or hitching reindeer to a post, or pretty much any conceivable knot related activity, but I want to go deeper, to learn the more weird and fascinating knots.

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Re: Odd Knots
Reply #1 - Jul 16th, 2004 at 6:45pm

Clifford Ashley's book of knots is considered to be the single best resource of both knots and their associated lore.  The history is limited, but concise and informative.  The book contains knots of every variety and conceivable use.

Amazon.com can help you get one.

jeff <><
« Last Edit: Jul 16th, 2004 at 8:03pm by JeffH »  

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jul 17th, 2004 at 4:04am

Thanks, I think I will do that.

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #3 - Jun 23rd, 2005 at 11:16am

Dan,
You should have bought it when you first thought about doing so, its prize is just going up every time again. (I did, and I was lucky to do so just before the pound and dollar went up a lot, (relative to the guilder at least.)

Now your best bet is a second hand buy through a reliable seller / amazon or if your are extremly lucky, find it secondhand somewhere were you can see the book before you buy it.

But for most people who are just looking for one or a few knots, we have this very usefull invention, internet. With broadband one fee per month access to the net, you will only need a book when you are really going into knots.

Stil, any book Geoffrey Budworth publishes as well as most other books on the market, are worth having.

If you need a knot and can not find it, on the net or in the books, go to http://www.igkt.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=news and sit back seeing the suggestions coming in.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Lionheart
Descens

Sling when you're winning

Near Manchester, England
Reply #4 - Jun 23rd, 2005 at 12:53pm

Monkey knots are fun, but use up a fiar bit f string and time.  One of theose round a rock for the release know on a string, and you have a sling, to get someone on the floor,  a flail/cosh to knock unconcious and a garotte to finish the job.  Might (k)ont want to say htat near peopel who the sling is jsu ta bit of string and therefore harmless...

I'm slinging in the rain, such a glorious feeling...

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #5 - Jun 23rd, 2005 at 1:17pm

"Just a bit of string and therefor harmless" ???

I think that a bit of string in combination with the knowledge to use it is one of the most versatile weapons. Add some short sticks of a stone and it is even more dangerous.

So, know your knots, train with your sling and always keep a mountainbootlace in your pocket. You need never go hungry, can bind about every thing, including people, and even kill in an extreme situation.

Just a bit of string!!!!

Maybe I should not say this, I want to be able to keep my pieces of string in my pockets, every time I need to be in a plane.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
IP Logged

me

I sling therefore I am.

Rowlett, TX, USA
Reply #6 - Jun 24th, 2005 at 4:01pm

Quote:
willeke,

Yes no kidding; it's getting to the point where you'll have to board a plane naked  Shocked

You say that like theres something wrong with it.   Shocked

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #7 - Jun 24th, 2005 at 4:07pm

Me,
If you had seen me, you would know you would not want to see me in swim gear, even less in less.
Lets hope those days are far away, on second thought, replace that with: after I am to old to travel, may that day never come. Embarrassed Wink

Willeke

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #8 - Jun 25th, 2005 at 3:41am

No,
I have red the rhyme and its translation, but I do not remember how it goes.

Willeke

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #9 - Apr 25th, 2007 at 12:05pm

You may have the same amount of pages, and likely diagrams as ABOK, but I am sure you do not have half the knots that this book has. The worth of the book is that most known knots of the time of print are included, with instructions.
You will need to learn to use the diagrams, the easiest way is to start at the top of the chapter and tie most knots in the chapter. Any chapter, and that way you will learn to read the diagrams and will it be easier to read them. I hardly ever read the instructions but I do tie many of the more difficult knots.

Then you will also find the knots you do not have in the other book, hidden at the farther parts of each chapter.

Willeke

IP Logged

frayedknotarts
Novicius

Knot too smart

Philadelphia
Reply #10 - May 4th, 2007 at 12:22pm

FunSlinger wrote on Apr 25th, 2007 at 1:07am:
   ...but because I have a pile of other books which collectively probably add up to that amount which have about the same amount of knot info, but whose diagrams are much larger and show steps involved more than ABOK.

IMO, ABOK is both a piece of artwork AND a repository for demonstrations of knots and knotting... but it is NOT a "textbook" treatment of knotting, nor did Mr. Ashley intend it to be such. It is primarily aimed at those who already have a strong basis in knotting and consequently ofen talks in "shorthand", assuming that the reader will already have the basics in hand.  Admittedly, this is a detriment to the book for the person who is learning knotting or who wants to learn knotting, and they would best be served by getting one of Geoff Budworth or Des Pawson's many tomes where the basics are expounded, but for those whose living is the sea and ropes, ABOK is a joy to read and re-read.   

The artwork and commentary alone make it one of the most loved books in my library. 

Now, for a REALLY poorly-planned and laid-out book on ropework,  the first one I ever bought , "The Encyclopedia Of Knots And Fancy Ropework" by Raoul Graumont and John Hensel (1939  Cornell Maritime Press) HAS to be the "500 pound gorilla" of incomprehensibility.   I thought all knot books were written like that and was highly suprised to find that others had written books which were nowhere near as obscure in their approach to fancy-work.... perhaps early immersion in the coils of EKFR just made it easire to read ABOK... at any rate, I'd not be without either of them.   

Just got two tree-rats as was threatening my tulips.... love slings!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus)