Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
need help with monkey fist.... (Read 5304 times)
juan.b

need help with monkey fist....
Jul 15th, 2004 at 4:00am

Please, need help with making a monkey fist or a video of it, thanks

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Re: need help with monkey fist....
Reply #1 - Jul 15th, 2004 at 10:41am

http://www.realknots.com/knots/

Most knot books at the library should have good instructions. MFs are relatively easy to tie once you have the basic idea. Doing it "properly" leads to a slightly tidyer, sturdier knot, but even when the transitions between dierections are wrong the knot looks pretty good.

Like any knot, it is easier to learn practicing with large diameter rope to begin with. Something like 1/2" would be good place to start - much easier to keep track of thatn smaller twine.

Matthias

IP Logged

jonjon
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Jul 15th, 2004 at 10:27pm

thanks for helping but, do you knwo where i can find a video to show how to tighen the fist up, and how to move my fingers.  I'm having problems of moving my fingers and i would like to see how to do it.  Thanks.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 16th, 2004 at 3:25pm

Other than using up a substantial amount of cordage, what is the knot useful for?

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #4 - Jul 16th, 2004 at 4:00pm

Three things:
1 -- It's monster stopper-knot, for when you want to be extra certain your cord won't slip or need a pull-tab or something to grab on to.
2 -- It adds weight to the end of a rope -- you can put a ball or a rock inside of it for even more weight.  I made a set of bolas using this knot to tie some rubber balls to some cord.  I think it was invented to heave a line from a boat.
3 -- Lookin' cool.  Key fobs, bell-pulls, that sort of thing.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jul 17th, 2004 at 4:01am

Ok, it does look quite a beefy knot.  I will print off that picture I think, and then practise.

IP Logged

ZaQ
Tiro

Ancient weapons, modern
soldier.

East Tennessee
Reply #6 - Jul 17th, 2004 at 5:20pm

They're not hard to make, once you learn how.  It took me about 20 minutes to make one the first time I read this post, now that time is down considerably.  I even made a monkey fist to cover a one inch ball bearing, but that was kinda tough.

-ZaQ
WWW ZaQ556 ZaQ762  
IP Logged

jonjon
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Jul 18th, 2004 at 1:00am

thanks forthe replies, I was going to make a set of bolas out of the money fist knot.  And i'm having trouble on the third set of lopes

IP Logged

jonjon
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - Jul 18th, 2004 at 1:05am

and when do u add the object to the center

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #9 - Jul 18th, 2004 at 1:23am

Once the knot is "assembled", the easiest way to tighten it is to start at one "tail" and work forward, tightening it as you go. If you aren't worrying about exactly where on the rope the knot ends up this is pretty straight forward. Trying to put the knot on the end of a line with only one cord "showing" is a little tougher, but you have to work it the same way. This isn't a knot that you can "pull" tight, you need to pull on each individual loop as you work the knot into shape. The easiest time to add a core is after the knot is tied, but before you start to tighten it. I've tied these around cores as large as tennis ball sized for heaving lines. You can increase the nuber of loops from three to four or even higher if you are trying to cover a too-big core. The 3 strand version is stable without a core.

I still think my most important suggestion is to start with BIG rope. Cheap 3/4 inch yellow nylon makes a mean monkey's fist...

Matthias

Funniest monkey fist memory for me is from the summer that I taught sailing... One of the drills I ran was to have the class (10-16 year olds in two-man dinghys) tie their boats to a towed line using a rolling hitch (good knot! one of 5 or so really usefull ones)

The monkey fist was to catch the boats after the improperly tied rolling hitches slipped and all 10 boats slid down to the bitter end of the tow rope. I always felt bad for the guys who had done it right but had three or four boats "up-rope" from them... Everyone always had a lot of fun, and the second time around (after some more class practice - paying attention this time! the slippage rate always went waaaay down)

Now I'm stuck inside in the summer... those were the days - young guys enjoy them while you can!

IP Logged

jonjon
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #10 - Jul 19th, 2004 at 11:45am

my problem is tighting the knot, i have got the knot down pat but its just trying to tighten the knot, its diffcult.

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #11 - Jul 19th, 2004 at 4:01pm

Just play with it.  Pick a loose loop and tug on it lightly, making it looser, watch to see what strands are moving, then pull on those to tighten the loop you were just pulling on.  It helps if you only leave the first three loops loose, and make the other 2 sets of loops as tight as you can.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, David Morningstar)