Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Shark Killer (Read 10788 times)
english
Ex Member

Shark Killer
Jul 14th, 2004 at 9:13am

I was thinking, rather randomly, on how you'd kill a shark with primitive technology - I thought about using a spear, but then I realised that if you missed, and naturally you'd only have one shot at it, you'd be a bit screwed.  So I thought up the "spear-bolas", basically, a spear, with a bolas attached.  The bolas would obviously be attached near the point, so that throwing or stabbing the shark in the head would hit it too.  The shark would be thrashing about, and basically whacking itself to death in the process, with a spear point in it's head.  The weapon would be short range, because throwing long range with too much loose weight on the end would be innacurate.

IP Logged

nwmanitou

Utah, USA
Re: Shark Killer
Reply #1 - Jul 14th, 2004 at 9:36am

Are you throwing the spear from land? or are you in the water with the shark. If you are in the water with the shark you have no chance. Sharks are among the fastest fish in the sea. Often they attack by approaching from directly below their target or at least out of their sight at lightning speed, bite, then release and wait for their prey to bleed to death. Shark skin is as tough as boot leather and as toothy as a wood rasp. I've seen a show where they were dissecting a great white shark. The shark's skin was almost 8 inches thick.  I'm sure we all played kung fu in the pool when we were kids, and I'm sure some of you guys still do Grin. Remeber how ineffective it was punching your brother under water? I don't think that one could thrust a spear while submerged with sufficient force to do much, particularily to a shark. If you enter a sharks world, well, he has the home field advantage and will win most if  not every time.

If I wanted to kill a shark, using primitive technology, I'd go a couple of routes depending on the size of the fish. One would be to build a fish trap at low tides using wood or bamboo stakes. It would be a sort of corral for the shark, I'd bate it with a pig or something, then the shark would be trapped when the tide goes out. A nice long spear from a boat might work, but then again, if the shark is larger than you are, fat chance at that.  A bow and arrow might work as well. I've seen articles on bow fishing where they were pulling in 100lbs stingrays and some smaller sharks. Stealing an idea from jaws, You could attach floats to the line on your arrow, hopefully  they would wear the shark out enough to keep it still while you stab it with a spear.

One thing to remember though, if you ever are in the water with a shark, the best defense is to punch it in the nose, and if that doesn't work, you then poke it in the eye with your stump.

IP Logged

ZaQ
Tiro

Ancient weapons, modern
soldier.

East Tennessee
Reply #2 - Jul 14th, 2004 at 9:55am

What about fishing with dynamite, sorta.  It's not hard to make gunpowder, it's been done for over a thousand years using scat, dried egg yokes, and charcoal.  You could rig up some sort of bomb and bait it with a nice tasty fish, light the fuse and drop it and hope that the shark gives it a bite.  If all goes correctly the shark should have a nasty gapping hole where it's head used to be.  I saw on TV were I guy killed a seal using this method.

Just a thought...sorry if it sounds silly.

-ZaQ
WWW ZaQ556 ZaQ762  
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #3 - Jul 14th, 2004 at 11:21am

I hate to say it, but while they are big scary fish, sharks are still pretty reasonable creatures, and don't much like food that fights back. One of Johnny's ineffective kung-fu punches wil often turn around a shark that probably wasn't *really* considering having a go at you anyway.

Anyone read Thor Heyerdahl? In "Kon-Tiki" they amused themselves by trailing their arms in the water over the side of the raft. They would grab an approaching shark by the tail and (taking advantage of shark's well known easy-gripping skin) proceed to haul the shark tail first onto the raft. I think the explanation they gave was that the sharks didn't fight back at all until their heads broke the surface, after which it was too late. Apparently mad sharks thrashing around on deck are a little bit concerning, but now they are in our realm, and the odds are considerably reversed...

Don't think that these were just little guys either. The photos were crazy (one with maybe a dozen sharks lying on deck). This was before people were sensible about resource exhaustion...

I'd imagine a standard primitive toggle or socket-head harpoon, a few fathoms of line and a float or two would work fine. If you have the technology to take whales, sharks should be ok too.

Matthias
« Last Edit: Jul 14th, 2004 at 9:41pm by Matthias »  

IP Logged

ZaQ
Tiro

Ancient weapons, modern
soldier.

East Tennessee
Reply #4 - Jul 14th, 2004 at 12:26pm

Matthias's post reminded me that on the discovery channel they said that sharks don't much care for the taste of humans, and will usually leave you alone once they realize that you taste bad.

-ZaQ
WWW ZaQ556 ZaQ762  
IP Logged

nwmanitou

Utah, USA
Reply #5 - Jul 14th, 2004 at 3:07pm

Hehe, I can imagine them thinking... "Yuck, I can't believe I took a whole bite of that. That critter tastes terrible, and it's bony leg is still stuck in my throat."

While the vast majority of shark attacks are because they've mistaken a person for a seal or they are simply curious, those little love bites are terribly fatal.

Just a side note, I don't dislike sharks in the least. I think they are amazing creatures that serve an essential purpose in the oceans. People just need to excersice proper precautions when around them, just like with any other wild animal. I always get a kick watching those "When Animals Attack" shows. There is always some idiot who wants a photo of himself frolicking with the cute little bear cubs while their mother looks on.

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/0700world/tm_objectid=14417690&method=fu... this was just a few days ago...

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jul 14th, 2004 at 3:15pm

I was thinking of being in an outrigger canoe, Polynesian style.  So you're not really on land, and not in the water.  I know that Samoan fishermen use spears to kill sharks.  But they are only reef sharks, not exactly great whites.  An obsidian blade could probably pierce shark skin, and if not, then a metal one.  Anyway, point is that a regular spear would work reasonably well, as we know, but the sight of a king of the sea bashing itself to death with stone would just be quite funny.  And you'd be able to just sit there and watch.  Yeah, a toggle harpoon would probably work well, but a a shark could probably sever the cable(s) or something.

IP Logged

ZaQ
Tiro

Ancient weapons, modern
soldier.

East Tennessee
Reply #7 - Jul 14th, 2004 at 6:00pm

I've never understood how officials know which animal to kill after it attacks someone.  Do they do around and ask the other animals?  I think it's wrong to do something like this.  The shark/bear/whatever is just doing what its programmed to do.  I think if you're out hunting polar bear(one of the few animals that will turn around and hunt you), and you're, then tough luck you died fair and square.  I'm not against hunting animals for food, but if I die cause I made a mistake then so be it.  Sorry for getting off topic.

-ZaQ
WWW ZaQ556 ZaQ762  
IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #8 - Jul 14th, 2004 at 9:28pm

There was an old fellow who was known to fish with dynamite.  The game warden went to have a talk with him.  He found the old guy at the river putting the boat in and invited himself along for the ride, thinking he would have a good chance to mention the dynamite issue while they fished.

They made small talk while the fisheman drove the boat to the fishing spot.  When they stopped, the warden brought up the subject of the dynamite and how it is illegal to fish with it.  At that the old man grabbed a stick of dynamite from his box, lit the fuse and handed it to the warden.  The warden proceeded to scold the man severely for this.  The old man looked at the warden, then at the rapidly burning fuse and said, "You gonna talk or fish?"

jeff <>< Grin

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #9 - Jul 14th, 2004 at 9:43pm

Cheesy

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jul 15th, 2004 at 8:34am

Lol.  I remember in Ray Mears "The Real Heroes of Telemark", the Norwegian members of SOE in WWII were training in Scotland, and had to procure their own food.  They had hand grenades, and there were lots of nice rivers full of salmon.  So they tossed in the grenades, killed lots of fish, and eventually were caught by a game warden.  They carried on regardless, however.
Unfortunately, it is rare to witness any "When Animals Attack" shows,  because I have only five channels, and they are all fairly mainstream.  However, I do remember something Bill Bryson said in "A Walk in The Woods"; he was hiking the Appalachian trail, and he was talking about bears.  He said that once, at a campsite in Shenandoah (I think) a bear came along, and so the dad got out the video camera and started to film the bear.  The mum decided it would be really fun if you could get the bear to eat honey off the baby's fingers.  I think you can guess what happens next.
Sharks are not all bad.  At all.  I just hate the idea of something that can smell blood in the water from a few miles away, and then home in and snap it, practically silent until the last minute.  I've never been at home on the sea.  Lakes and rivers are fine, but the sea is different.

IP Logged

edr

Reply #11 - Jul 16th, 2004 at 6:19am

I'd like to contribute a couple of points.  One being that sharks are amazingly tough.  Also, fishing with explosives works because the shockwave interacts with the fish's swim bladder and ruptures it.  Shark are to primitive to have swim bladders and hence would be relatively immune to shockwaves.

I agree with the point that entirely too many sharks are being uselessly killed, so unless you have some real good reason to, like it ate your mother..... and you liked her, I'd tend to leave them alone, and allow them to leave me alone.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jul 16th, 2004 at 7:27am

Some good points.  I was thinking that sharks might have to be killed in a survival situation.  The Samoan fishermen kill sharks for food (apparently it tastes urine-like) and if you had to, for example, get off a small island, then being able to kill sharks would certainly count in your favour.
  I didn't know that about sharks.  I would have thought they were some of the more highly evolved fish.  But then I think about it, it seems likely that sharks evolved a long time ago and were efficient killers, so there was no need to evolve very much more.  Same with the croc, stayed pretty much the same for 200 million years.  I thought perhaps you could kill a shark with a fragmentation grenade, which would send pieces of metal at the shark, and therefore you would not have to rely on the shockwaves.

IP Logged

ZaQ
Tiro

Ancient weapons, modern
soldier.

East Tennessee
Reply #13 - Jul 16th, 2004 at 8:34am

If they don't have a swim bladder like a normal fish how do they control bounancy?

-ZaQ
WWW ZaQ556 ZaQ762  
IP Logged

edr

Reply #14 - Jul 16th, 2004 at 9:10am

Quote:
If they don't have a swim bladder like a normal fish how do they control bounancy?

Here's check it out:

http://www.marinelab.sarasota.fl.us/SHARKS.HTM

Also  they lack bones- yep not a single bone in an entire shark.  Not even those tooth filled jaws you see. 

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Chris, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini)