Send Topic Print
From net to knit... (Read 65650 times)
Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Re:  From net to knit...
Reply #120 - Aug 24th, 2010 at 11:52pm

Could that twine have been tarred? That's what Matthias's knit slings used to be made of, tarred twine.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #121 - Aug 24th, 2010 at 11:54pm

Well, I can't be sure.  I don't remember it being particularly sticky, but I guess it kind of was. ... I think it did sort of stick to itself on the spool.
But I don't know if that means it fits the description that is meant when he talks about "tarred" twine.

Cradled rock is slung&&Once around the back and gone&&Flying far and true

IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #122 - Aug 24th, 2010 at 11:56pm

Masiakasaurus wrote on Aug 24th, 2010 at 11:28pm:
It's twisted, but I've not had any problems with untwisting.

In my experience, it's easier to work with braided line in almost all respects (unless of course you're splicing three-strand twisted rope, or making a grommet).  In particular, it's troublesome to work with twisted line and knitting needles because of the tendency of the needle tips to catch within the twisted strands and split them.  That happens less with braided line.

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #123 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 9:49am

It does sound like you had "tarred" twine. It's really nice stuff to work with, really, and I like the colour and the way it weathers/breaks in.

The tar is only barely sticky fresh off the roll. It's added to increase the UV/weather resistance of the twine, make handling easier and greatly increase the knot holding properties of the twine. A bit of a hold-over from when fishing twines were organic, and tar was liberally used to stop the nets from rotting. The bonded twine that I used for the latest example is white nylon coated/impregnated with a clear, slightly sticky waxy substance with a similar result. The twine holds together, doesn't kink or unravel, is more more wear resistant and a bit stiffer. We use a green version too that has a dry finish?

An option that might lend similar properties to "soft" nylon would be to treat the sling (easier than doing the twine) with a knot treatment. The commercial stuff is purpose made and comes in giant containers of concentrate, but we've used diluted "Weldbond" pva glue and it seems to do the trick. Thinned to consistency of milk, painted on or dipped and then allowed to dry.

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #124 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 1:28pm

peacefuljeffrey wrote on Aug 24th, 2010 at 6:18pm:
Timann, it is awesome for me to witness a nascent knitter getting started.
I am very happy for you! I know that you will find being able to knit to be an enrichment of your life. Smiley

Your sample there looks very good! Is that hemp? Make sure to forgive yourself for any irregularity in your gauge when you knit hemp; I've found it is notoriously tough to work with, and the gauge is very sensitive to even small variations in your needle work. I think it's because it doesn't stretch and then spring back as you go.

So, have you learned how to bind off? That's crucial to know, but fortunately it's easy to learn. (It isn't something you'll need for the sling, though.) I think it's one of the knitting tools that can be done in an assortment of ways, too, just like casting on. I haven't yet learned a whole lot of different ones. Most times you can get away with knowing just a few, it seems.

The piece here is some two-tone white/gray wool.  Hemp and nylon/polyester is waiting for their turn.  And yes, I learned how to bind it off.  Hey, after learning to braid with 16 and 24 strands knitting is in fact somewhat managable.
timann

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #125 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 8:24pm

Thanks Masiaka! Seriously nice work jeffrey - the results certainly belie any (we knew it all along) protestations of (alleged) incompetence! Grin

IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #126 - Aug 26th, 2010 at 1:12am

LOL! Well, there were times I was feeling that way. I consider myself lucky that they didn't last -- counting my blessings, I am.  Cheesy

Thanks for the compliment and for posting the picture on my behalf. Smiley

I haven't gotten out to actually use this sling. It seems to be quite sound overall, and I know there will be zero chance of dropped ammo. Ironically, my only concern is that of the possibility of having ammo hang up in the pouch during release because it's quite deep in the belly.

Matthias, have you ever had such a problem with unclean releases?

IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #127 - Aug 29th, 2010 at 11:16pm

Timann, I'm wondering how your knitting is coming along. Smiley

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #128 - Aug 30th, 2010 at 1:38pm

peacefuljeffrey wrote on Aug 29th, 2010 at 11:16pm:
Timann, I'm wondering how your knitting is coming along. Smiley

My knitting is coming along surprisingly well.  Thanks for kicking me into this Smiley
After I knitted an very even rectangle of hemp my mother declared me proficient at knitting, and finally told me how to add and remove stuff.  My latest piece is a small wool piece which I tapered in both ends, like a tiny sling pouch, when I want to I should be able to knit an real solid pouch now.
timann

AND I can do the three-stitch I-cord thing.  I browsed through this thread again, clicked a link provided by Masiakasurus, watched the video, and could suddenly do it myself. 
Though when I look at the 2" I just knitted, I realice I could benefit from some further practice Cheesy
timann
« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2010 at 3:12pm by timann »  

IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #129 - Aug 30th, 2010 at 6:08pm

I'm glad I helped inspire you.
Congratulations to you for learning a new and useful skill! Smiley
You're learning a lot more a lot sooner than it took me.

IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #130 - Sep 5th, 2010 at 4:01am

I made a good find at walmart tonight, so I'll share it.

In the knitting section, they have spools of nylon crochet thread that appears to be a very good substitute for the mason's twine that I used for my yellow sling. It cost $3.47 for 150 yards -- not bad. The package says it's "#18." I'll be using my 7mm needles again, since they gave me a satisfying result last time (and walmart didn't have any 4mm ones for me to try).

Although I do like the look of my yellow sling, the crochet thread I found is BLACK, and for a sling, yellow's got nothing on black!  Cheesy
I have not seen black mason's twine when I've browsed at The Home Depot -- only white, yellow and pink. (Not even blue! I was going to get some more white twine and dye it blue with RIT dye.)

So I just began the I-cord for my third knitted sling. Probably by tomorrow early Monday I'll have the sling completed.  Smiley

IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #131 - Sep 5th, 2010 at 8:38am

*sigh*

Now that I have the black twine, I found it impossible to force myself to go to bed tonight.
Instead, I stayed up and finished the finger loop, retention cord, pouch, and one inch of the release cord.

Some time on Sunday, I'll finish the sling.

The #18 crochet thread is thinner than the yellow mason's twine from before. I used the same stitch pattern, so the gauge is smaller, and thus the cords are thinner and the pouch is smaller.

That's good, though, since the sling will mostly be used for golf balls, and the pouch on the yellow sling is almost too big. The ball almost gets lost in it. I still have yet to get out and sling with the yellow sling, so I don't know if the release will be clean or not.

I'm very confident about the size compatibility of the Black Mamba's pouch.
(Yes, that's what I'm naming this sling -- the "Black Mamba.") Cheesy

IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #132 - Sep 6th, 2010 at 3:54am

I finished the "Black Mamba" on Sunday evening. It came out great! Pouch sized just perfectly for a golf ball, and will also surely be well-suited for some other slightly smaller ammo, like the bonbon-shaped glass planter marbles I've bought at walmart.

I am really looking forward to getting out to use this sling! Cheesy

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #133 - Sep 6th, 2010 at 2:26pm

peacefuljeffrey wrote on Sep 6th, 2010 at 3:54am:
I finished the "Black Mamba" on Sunday evening. It came out great! Pouch sized just perfectly for a golf ball, and will also surely be well-suited for some other slightly smaller ammo, like the bonbon-shaped glass planter marbles I've bought at walmart.

I am really looking forward to getting out to use this sling! Cheesy

Cheesy I'm glad I could help you, and that you are helping timann! I wanna see the Black Mamba, and timann's sling (when it's finished) too!

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #134 - Sep 6th, 2010 at 3:18pm

I'm eternally grateful for the the help, guidance and encouragement you guys gave to me. I would not have been able to make these awesome slings, otherwise.

I'll take a few pictures of the Black Mamba later on and email them to you like before, ok? Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Kick)