Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
slinging trouble (Read 2410 times)
mvar07
Novicius

slinging trouble
Jul 8th, 2004 at 4:10pm

I've been slinging for almost a whole week now, but i'm having trouble keeping the rock in the pouch, it always seems to fall out while i'm swinging it.  I think it might be how i'm holding the strings, but i'm not totally sure.  Anyone have any ideas for my problem?   Thanks!

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Re: slinging trouble
Reply #1 - Jul 8th, 2004 at 4:19pm

Need more info -- how do you hold the strings, what's your sling design, how big is the pouch, how big are the projectiles, etc.  I'd say the most likely culprit is your sling design.  Shouldn't be too rigid (slightly stiff is O.K., and actually helps with the release), should be slightly larger than the missiles you're using, and should support the missile from the bottom and cup it on the ends (where the cords attach).  It doesn't need to be very cupped on the sides, forming a bowl -- it's enough to form a U, although slight cupping on the sides is good.  Are you using a split pouch?

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #2 - Jul 8th, 2004 at 9:45pm

Get us some more information, please.  When a stone falls from my slings it is generally due to the stone being too large or very odd shaped which makes its center of gravity off center of the pouch.  I don't like to sling stones of either kind as they will come out of the pouch and are dangerous to me and bystanders alike.

You may also want to make a larger pouch as it could be your pouch is too small for a good size stone.  If it is fairly stiff leather and approximately 7" long by 2 1/2" wide with a slight taper at the ends, you will should be able to throw a great variety of stone shapes and sizes and weights without much trouble.

jeff <><

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

mvar07
Novicius

Reply #3 - Jul 8th, 2004 at 9:54pm

Right now I have the retention cord on my middle finger and i'm holding the release cord between my pointer and middle fingers.  My pouch is 2.5 inches by 6 inches, and i've been practicing with stuff about the size of golf balls.  Do you have to swing it really fast to keep it in there?  Or can it be done with a slower swing?  Thanks for any help.

IP Logged

Tyler
Tiro

sling it, sling it good

Ramona, California
Reply #4 - Jul 8th, 2004 at 11:14pm

Fisrt of all try putting the release cord between your thumb and pointer finger.  I have tryed your method of holding the cords and I find it to weak, but if your fingers are stronger than mine then go ahead.  Also what slinging method do you use?

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #5 - Jul 8th, 2004 at 11:34pm

how is the sling tyed to the pouch? Did you knot the sling very close to the pouch? This could be your problem too. This was a earily problem for me.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #6 - Jul 9th, 2004 at 11:19am

Your knotting may be the culprit.  The knots I used on my first sling caused the pouch to open out on the sides with heavier projectiles, dropping them.  The other possibility is that you just need more practice loading the pouch, getting a feel for where the stone should sit.  You should be able to spin the sling fast, slow, or in between without worrying about losing your stone.

IP Logged

Douglas

Just give me a good stone
and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Reply #7 - Jul 9th, 2004 at 2:05pm

You might vary the shape of your rocks, try choosing ones that are more egg-shaped.

IP Logged

mvar07
Novicius

Reply #8 - Jul 9th, 2004 at 4:06pm

I think it may be my sling that is the problem.  Like Hobb said, the sides do come out.  I'm going to try to make a new pouch for it and see how it goes.  After looking at some of the sling pictures I think may have a serious problem.  Thanks for all the help!

IP Logged

mvar07
Novicius

Reply #9 - Jul 9th, 2004 at 4:28pm

It worked!!  Before I had a weird sling design I got out of a book.  It had 3 holes and was strung so that it would fold in half to hold stuff easier.  But I guess the design has some problems.  I've made a new pouch out of fairly stiff leather, it is an oval shape.  It looks a lot like the slings in the how to guides.  It works a ton better!  Now I can get to the slinging part.  Thanks to all who helped me!!

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #10 - Jul 9th, 2004 at 5:54pm

Sounds like you were using the same design I was.  Doesn't work for $#!@.  Happy slinging!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Kick, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker)