How to sling acuratly (Read 2257 times)
fyrbllxtrm
Novicius

slinging= the best invention
of the aincents

New Haven Indiana
How to sling acuratly
Jul 2nd, 2004 at 1:54pm

hey im new to slinging and i can get the distance but cant get a very accurate shot so i would like to know the best way to sling acuratley and the best shape of stone to use thanks in advance

fireballextrm07  
IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Re: How to sling acuratly
Reply #1 - Jul 2nd, 2004 at 2:13pm

Well, for sure accuracy is THE problem with slinging.  Even the Balearic experts set up BIG! targets with big bullseyes for competitions.   In my experience, these seem to help:

1/ Fairly stiff material for the sling pocket.  Something that will "snap" open upon release, thus not hanging up the ammo

2/ Consistent ammo.   Same weight.  Same smooth shape.  I like slightly football-shaped ammo of about 65-grams weight.  Most slingsters seem to prefer heavier though.  I roll my own ammo out of moist clay, then let it air dry.

3/ Spins in a very nearly vertical plane.  This solves some of the inaccuracy in direction, leaving you to deal just with range.  It's also safer for bystanders.   Delivery can be either overhand or underhand as long as the motion is in a vertical plane.

I'm sure others can offer additional "secrets".   Welcome to this gang.    mgreenfield

IP Logged

fyrbllxtrm
Novicius

of the aincents

New Haven Indiana
Reply #2 - Jul 2nd, 2004 at 2:17pm

thanks i will have to try that i have already made a sling out of some stiff leather and i can probably get some good clay to use at one the art stores around my town thanks again

fireballextrm07  
IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #3 - Jul 2nd, 2004 at 4:41pm

I have only been slining for 11 months now but here are some things I have learned:

Billiard ball size stones have enough weight to give you a good feel for where the stone is as it rotates. If it is much lighter, you do not get a good sense of where the pouch is.

Start off at about "half power" on your slinging. It is easier to hit the target than using all your might. Slowly increase as you get better.  Just "lob" a few at the target at first to get a feel of how things work.

Unless you have consistant size, shape and weight ammo it will take years to get really accurate.

I first thought tennis balls were too whimpy for slinging but after getting really frustrated by irregular shape, size and weight concrete chunks I tried them. I found out that  I was much more consistant than I thought.
Use a brick wall and make a target about 4' square using duct tape. Use less bouncy tennis balls since new onces will bounce back at you and by you much faster.

Keep us posted.

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #4 - Jul 2nd, 2004 at 5:03pm

...yeah, use old tennis balls.  I get them free from a local tennis club.  THEN I drill tiny holes in them to let the remaining pressure out.  Even then, they're pretty bouncy off a hard wall.   mgreenfield

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #5 - Jul 2nd, 2004 at 7:24pm

remember just like bowling, where you are points is where your ammo will go (I know that iregular ammo doesn't).

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

fyrbllxtrm
Novicius

of the aincents

New Haven Indiana
Reply #6 - Jul 3rd, 2004 at 10:16pm

thanks all this really helps

fireballextrm07  
IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #7 - Jul 16th, 2004 at 10:53am

All that has been well said  plus shoot bazillions of times, its fun and you get skilled with the time

Never disturb your enemy when it's making a mistake (Napoleon Bonaparte)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Kick, Morphy, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker)