Atlatl (Read 10153 times)
Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Atlatl
Jul 1st, 2004 at 9:55pm

Found a cool sight that sell and has demos of Atlatl.
http://tribaltrades.com/atlatl.html

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Re: Atlatl
Reply #1 - Jul 2nd, 2004 at 1:13pm

I'd advise TechStuf to check this out. Note the length, Tech! Smiley

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #2 - Jul 3rd, 2004 at 2:31am

You still sore about the length issue?  What is your point lad?  Why paint your verbal pictures with another's brush?  We've already established that we see things differently.   Your exhortation for me to visit a URL that shows a woman throwing a gratuitously long spear certainly has not served to pry open these stubborn eyes of mine.  Let us see what your hands themselves have wrought....surely you can manage the few pounds to obtain a disposable camera and get the pics to Chris.   I'm sure he wouldn't mind posting your results with the Atlatl.   From  what you have stated thus far.....you should have a plethoric collection of items to share!   I would certainly not be averse to comparing photographic or videographic records of our singular results here in the forum.  You with your lengthy spear(s) and I with my darts.  

There is a saying that goes something like......"First LIVE that which you seek to teach."  

Show us what you yourself have lived.  I am not averse to learning something new, even at the hands of a relatively inexperienced young person, like yourself.  I do it all the time.  As yet however,  regarding this particular stance of yours.....I remain unmoved.  

« Last Edit: Jul 3rd, 2004 at 3:52am by Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua »  

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #3 - Jul 3rd, 2004 at 5:49pm

I also want to see some pics of your bows. I need to show you some of my Red Cedar ELBs that outperform my flat bows made out of Osage. I think your mouth would water if you could see my Red Cedar Mongol bow with its first layer of sinew!
Johnny
PS- Don't have a digital camera yet, maybe in about 2-3 weeks. I'm still looking at this point.

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Mamba

Reply #4 - Aug 3rd, 2004 at 8:54pm

Quote:
Found a cool sight that sell and has demos of Atlatl.

I've just had a look at http://www.atlatl.com  - wow! The graphics and presentation are superb! It gives me confidence to buy from someone who runs such a cool site. That guy seems to know what he's doing, and the product looks like quality. Anyone here buy a Warrior Atlatl from him?

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Aug 12th, 2004 at 5:27am

This is by far the best site for the atlatl.  Learnt most of the stuff I know from it; but it's changed a bit since I last went on.  There were not so many graphics, for instance, just a few little pictures and lots of text.
  Don't bother buying an atlatl - the great thing about the site is that it gives you enough info to make your own. Try Primitive Ways as well; nice article about atlatl tuning.  I think I might by an atlatl from Atlatl Bob just to keep him in business.  But for the moment, I'll stick to my own ones.  Lovely weapon; probably my favorite, but I regularly swing between different ones.
  The problem with the site is that it doesn't mention the Australian Aboriginal woomera, which is even more of a wonder weapon - same as an atlatl, but with more capabilities - fire saw, map, resin holder.... so many things, impossible to list.  It was so that desert nomads wouldn't have to burden themselves with too much.  Find out about it, it's easy to make, and I like to inscribe a map of the woodland near my house on it, on the back.

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #6 - Aug 12th, 2004 at 12:07pm

English tell us more about the woomera? Do you know any websites for it?

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Aug 13th, 2004 at 3:56am

No, I don't think there are any sites totally devoted to it.  The Aborigines are quite a forgotten people; hardly mentioned by anyone, which is quite tragic.  I think I can find one site with various plans of atlatls and consequently woomeras.  The main point about which the woomera differs from the atlatl is that it uses an unfletched dart - but it has a heavier head and is longer and more flexible; about nine feet, sometimes.  http://www.thudscave.com/npaa/designs/ is the website.  Some good atlatl plans.

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #8 - Aug 13th, 2004 at 10:18am

Thanks for posting the great link. I had know idea there was so many different plans for atlatls.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Aug 19th, 2004 at 7:33am

Well if you consider that every single culture on earth developed the atlatl, you can get some idea of how many possibles there could be.  In Europe, no one really bothered with the atlatl - used for throwing heavy spears, so not as effective as the native American/Latin American (etc) dart throwers.  I think the atlatl is the premium survival weapon, because it is about as powerful as a 60 pound draw self bow with the right darts, is (very) quick to make if you know what you are doing, materials are abundant, and you don't have to season any wood.  Let me just say this; if you haven't used or made a proper atlatl before, then do so now.

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #10 - Aug 19th, 2004 at 3:11pm

does any one have any idea on how to make a modern atlatl from modern material? I was thing about taking 2 arrow and screwing them together to make one long arrow. But i was wondering if anyone has made the  thrower from modern materials? maybe allumium?

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Aug 19th, 2004 at 3:52pm

Atlatl Bob makes darts from aluminium.  Honestly, I don't see the point of making an atlatl from modern materials, because they are actually harder to work, heavier... I can't think of a way of making an aluminium atlatl, but then, I know next to nothing about metals.

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #12 - Aug 20th, 2004 at 11:51am

Does atlatl bob have a website? Is his thrower metal too? I can make the long arrow but i am more interested in a metal thrower.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Aug 20th, 2004 at 12:13pm

www.atlatl.com is Atlatl Bob's site.  The "Penetrator" darts are aluminium.  And no, I think he makes his atlatls from wood, maple, apparently.  (That's actually the wood I tend to use, field or Norway maple though, rather than curly or American.)

IP Logged

Hellfire
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Aug 20th, 2004 at 5:52pm

-if you make a soapstone weight, you have to fiddle with it for a while- to time the correct amount of shaft bending and atlatl flex.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini)